The Possibility of Miss Piggy as a Transsexual

lowercasegods

Reaction score
I don't see any problem with having a thoughtful and creative discussion about an iconic character like this. No one's saying that Miss Piggy is actually having gender issues here. Instead, we're talking about a world of "What if's", which is actually a lot of fun.

Countless characters in pop culture have been subjected to similar "what if" scrutiny over the years. For example (and I pick these from actual topics I've read or seen firsthand), the idea that Batman and Robin were gay in light of their shared relationship, or that Wonder Woman is a lesbian ideal. The possibility that James Bond is actually a woman-hater, that Tarzan had interspecies "relations" with apes and was potentially a cannibal.

These topics have been discussed and discussed again over time, but none of them claimed to be the gospel about the characters, and none such speculation has ever besmerched the repuations of these beloved icons, with the exception of the crack pot psychologist Dr. Fredrick Wertham and his 1950s book "Seduction of the Innocent". He tried to eradicate comicbooks with his off-kilter theories. But he stopped speculating about these things and insisted they were the truth, which is just wrong. But no one's doing that here.

This is just a "what if" discussion, which should be enjoyed and dwelled upon, without the unwarranted fear of it destroying an icon like Miss Piggy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well.... for me it raises the fact that Piggy is a female and Frank Oz and Eric Jacobson are both men.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Mass culture is an incredibly powerful force in society. I think we have a responsibility to look past the surface of entertainment and think about what it is saying. What it says about us as a society, what it teaches us, etc. In fact, this sort of thing is going on every day.

Has anyone not heard discussions about television violence and kids? You can argue parents should control what their kids watch and you can argue that Americans shouldn't see a murder every time they turn on their televisions but I think most of us would agree it's a reasonable topic to explore.

This is the same thing. Of course Piggy is a puppet and the puppeteers are male. But Piggy is an icon. Because there are so few main character female Muppets Piggy is assumed to be THE Muppet female-- assumed to represent the Muppet idea of women. Is that fair? Of course not. But people do it all the time. So talking about what the Muppets are saying about women through Piggy is a very reasonable topic. Talking about what kids learn about what it means to be female when watching Piggy is extremely reasonable. We ought to be reflective about our entertainment and most of us have invested a staggering number of hours in Muppet productions.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
I don't see why he should delete it. There's no reason we cannot discuse such things, so long as we remain resenable.
there's nothing reasonable about this topic at all!

lowercasegods

Reaction score
If you don't like this topic then don't participate in it, simple as that. There's plenty of threads in this forum to participate in that you'd probably enjoy, so don't waste your time complaining about those you don't. Nobody's forcing you to post, after all.

fluffmuppet

Reaction score
Maybe piggy is one of those big scruffy German pigs. I wouldn't put anything past those women (like my sister for one) LOL :embarrassed:

I never saw her as manly or having adrogynous pigsonality, but more as just a big woman with a cause LOL

*scatters off now* :mad: