The Ray Stevens Appreciation Thread

anathema

Reaction score
The other hits

Top of my head: "Bridget The Midget (Queen Of The Blues)", "Misty", "Everything Is Beautiful".

:smile:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by anathema
Ok, folks: you witnessed this, right?

:big_grin:
*sigh*

Well forgive me, that was between 4:30 and 5 a.m., and IT WAS JUST A FIGGER O' SPEECH!!!

Really!

It was!

:eek:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: The other hits

Top of my head: "Bridget The Midget (Queen Of The Blues)", "Misty", "Everything Is Beautiful".
Hmmm, interesting...only BTM is a comedy piece, and not even what I consider one of his better ones. I mean, it ain't bad, just don't get me belly-laughin' as much like some others.

*chekcs vocab*

Man---am I always this Kentucky at 5:30 a.m.???

anathema

Reaction score
Not everything charted, of course, and most of the ones that did never made the top ten (and this was all in the 70s, the decade that taste forgot!). I'll post the complete list tonight if I remember.

anathema

Reaction score
FWIW, "The Streak" was written about the very British craze that swept the country in the summer of '74. :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
Ok, this is the full UK singles chart rundown:

"Everything Is Beautiful" - first charted 16 May 1970, 16 weeks on the chart, peaked at #6

"Bridget The Midget (The Queen Of The Blues)" - first charted 13 March 1971, 14 weeks on the chart, peaked at #2

"Turn Your Radio On" - first charted 25 March 1972, 4 weeks on the chart, peaked at #33

"The Streak" - first charted 25 May 1974, 12 weeks on the chart, peaked at #1

"Misty" - first charted 21 June 1975, 10 weeks on the chart, peaked at #2

"Indian Love Call" - first charted 27 September 1975, 4 weeks on the chart, peaked at #34

"In The Mood" - first charted 5 March 1977, 4 weeks on the chart, peaked at #31

FWIW, my information says that "In The Mood" features Ray Stevens 'not as a conventional vocalist, but as a group of chickens'...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
"The Streak" - first charted 25 May 1974, 12 weeks on the chart, peaked at #1

"In The Mood" - first charted 5 March 1977, 4 weeks on the chart, peaked at #31

FWIW, my information says that "In The Mood" features Ray Stevens 'not as a conventional vocalist, but as a group of chickens'...
*gets all Britishy*

Well, "FWIW" (heehee!), yes, ITM was recorded by a group o' chickens. :smile: They also recorded another #, "Thus Cacked Henrietta", their own version of "Also Sprach Zarathustra". LOL! :big_grin:

And did he rully write "Streak" from a British fad?? I'd thought maybe it was cause o' that guy streakin' at the Oscars, though I don't remember exactly what year that was...

anathema

Reaction score
Given the local temperatures, Britain is about the least likely place for streaking to take off, so naturally it had to be us!

Incidentally, should that have read "cackled"? Only "cacked" has a totally other meaning...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Incidentally, should that have read "cackled"? Only "cacked" has a totally other meaning...
Nope, "cacked" it is---I used to have the album it was on. :smile: