1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The rebuild I've wanted to do for two years...

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by ashkent, Feb 10, 2014.

1. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

When I began making puppets, long before i decided to set up Old Enough To Know Better Puppets and even think of building the custom puppets i have over the last year, all i wanted was to make a large replica of one particular muppet character. That was this guy...

[​IMG]

He was said to be amazing by a lot of people but as a puppet he has major flaws. His eyes are slightly misplaced, his eyelids are like flaps rather than a "round the eyeball" eyelid, his mouth is heavy cardboard, the wire for his eye mechanism is easily bent, and above all else he is just too **** big. So he has been sitting as a poser for most of the time with just a couple of runouts as a working puppet for very short stints due to the strain he puts on the hand.

So, finally, in the middle of the other orders I'm working on, I have started rebuilding Animal as he should be. The skull is more or less complete, with the looser jaw, bags under correctly placed eyes and a working eyebrow mechanism made of steel wire that can only be bent with pliers.

Here are the first pictures of his "naked" head. I'm expecting to make a start on feathering him later this week. I'll update the pictures along the way as the major stages are completed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

So finally managed to get a little time with this in between other jobs and more to the point found the time to update a few photos. So here are the latest pictures of the new Animal replica of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the latest parts waiting to be attached.

[​IMG]

More updates coming soon.

crazy chris likes this.
  3. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

Well...somehow time flew by and before i knew it i had a finished puppet!
    So here is the Animal puppet i have wanted to make for the last two years since i started seriously building puppets as a sideline job. Have a look at his pictures below. Hope you like him - just in time for the SEQUEL SEQUEL. Hopefully i will have a video of him later tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. SkeetScootSquat

SkeetScootSquat Active Member

Going rather well!Although,I would like it better if you made another Dave Goelz character...(I'm kidding about the Dave Goelz thing,,but that would be wonderful)

5. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

He looks STELLAR! If not a bit too pink :halo: My only criticism. But his build is glorious, excellent job!

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  6. SkeetScootSquat

SkeetScootSquat Active Member

yeah,he's looking more like he accidentally fell in a bucket of white dye,which turned him up a shade of color..

7. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

I'm not sure how much of it is down to the studio lighting.
    This is how he looked with out the lights and without a flash which is slightly darker.

[​IMG]

8. Well done. It is a beautiful build of a great character.

SkeetScootSquat likes this.
  9. It's a great Animal! What did you use for the eyeballs?

dwayne1115 likes this.
  10. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

The eyes were made from clear plastic craft balls spray painted white.

Diego Fiorucci likes this.

11. Thanks for the answer. Again, it's a wonderful work!

12. Ian Mac

Ian Mac New Member

I love the build stages. It still looks magical to me when I see a set of progress pictures of a build.
    Really love it!

FoxWorthy and Diego Fiorucci like this.
  13. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

I think during the builds it is great when you look back at them, the only thing is that while you are building they tend to look nothing like the puppet they are meant to be, usually until the very end. Even just without pupils they look wrong and you constantly question if you need to change the shape or size of certain parts.

Ian Mac and Diego Fiorucci like this.
  14. Ian Mac

Ian Mac New Member

ashKent I totally agree with your comments and that's part of the magic. Without doing s drawing or having a visual reference to work from I find it hard to visualise the stages.
    And if I'm honest it's only by seeing the work stages of others thats enabled me to know starting blocks and how to build upon them.
    Credit to you and everyone else who share these stages that help us newcomers to Muppet/Puppet building.

ashkent and Diego Fiorucci like this.
  15. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

I think everyone starts the same. My first builds were based on pictures from the internet and when you see the workings, the joins, the different methods people use it is a lot easier than buying a pattern and thinking that you have to follow it exactly. I seem to remember that the first professional puppet I bought was a second hand Pavlov snake. I bought it from eBay and basically took it apart to see what was connected where and how. So to me, without people sharing work in progress pictures I wouldn't have been doing what I do now.

FoxWorthy, Ian Mac and Diego Fiorucci like this.

16. That's the great thing of these new tools, internet and its blogs, youtube and more sites, people have learned to share, growing by sharing, asking, answering. And expanding the world of options and possibilities. This further develops divergent thinking, there is no single way to achieve a result. We can see a puppet in a photo and suspect how it was made. Even if we mistakenly think it was made in some way, and we solve it following that idea, it's a magnificent achievement, we create a new way to reach.

Ian Mac likes this.

17. Now I'm trying to build my own generic puppet, like a Whatnot, but with the materials I can find here in my country. I never knew if they have some kind of liner and, if they have it, how I should attach it. Unfortunately I can't buy a real Whatnot here in Argentina. There should be a store here.

18. ashkent

ashkent Active Member

For the lining of the puppets you can really use any soft fabric. I tend to use fleece and just see it into the base of the head inside whatever neck the puppet has and then I normally also sew it into the bottom of the body so it creates a full tube from head to entry hole. I think like most things there is no right or wrong when it comes to lining material as long as it is comfortable.

Diego Fiorucci likes this.

19. Ok, thanks a lot. I need to try.

20. Tordwashere

Tordwashere Member

I know this is old but THAT IS BEAUTIFUL OMG!!!:D:D:D