The return of Cabbage Patch Kids!

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
While looking on the Mall of America's website I found that they are having an event this week celebrating Cabbage Patch Kids. Here is what is said:

Cabbage Patch Kids Family Reunion

Event Date: Wednesday, August 18, 2004

Long ago, a boy named Xavier Roberts wandered into a magic cabbage patch hidden behind a waterfall where he discovered all sorts of kids and babies; it was then that the Cabbage Patch Kids were born.

Be the first to visit the magical Cabbage Patch and see the newest crop of One of a Kind ‘Kids just like the Kids from the 80’s. Bring the entire family, including all your Cabbage Patch Kids to this fabulous Free Celebration! American Idol's Paula Abdul will be co-hosting the event along with Cabbage Patch Kids creator Xavier Roberts.

During the event there will be games, prizes, entertainment and even Cabbage Patch Kids check ups! You will also have the opportunity to adopt a One of a Kind Cabbage Patch Kid of your own. Xavier Roberts will be available to sign a limited number of Play Along Kids during the event.

**Paula Abdul will not be available to sign autographs during the event.

August 18
Sam Goody Central
12-2pm

I remember when Cabbage Patch Kids originally came out it was madness at the toy stores. Everybody and their dog had at least one doll...I remember I got a Koosa cat, which was the pets to the Cabbage Patch kids :smile:

Muppet Moppet

Reaction score
I LOVE Cabbage Patch kids! I actually have three original dolls, several Colecos from the Eighties, and some of the Matells from before they turned the CPKs into talking monstrosities and chubby faced Barbies, as well as a couple of Koosas. I'm quite pleased with the new exclusive Toys R Us CPKs. They seem to have brought back the heart of the dolls: No gimmicks, just cuddly toys that spark a child's imagination, and even compassion.

Whatever

Reaction score
I never liked Cabbage Patch dolls much. I had two, one baby and one that went in the tub with me. I thought as babies they were passable, but as kids they were unforgiveably ugly. I still have Mary Jane, the baby, though.

McFraggle

Reaction score
I used to have a Cabbage Patch kid. I think his name was Darrell. Well, I guess everything must make a comeback, huh? :smile:

Erine81981

Reaction score
I had one too but then my sister put some guck in his hair and either lost his clothes or my sister did something w/ them. Man it made me so mad I went crying to my Mom. I hated her after that but we made up. She ruined alot of stuff my mine and I did the same to her stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Just wondering... didn't the Cabbage Patch kids "Make a come back" like a couple of years ago? I'm confused.

Klonoa

Reaction score
Yeah I always thought the Cabbage Patch Kids were always kind of...around.

When I was little, the next door neighbor little girl had a Cabbage Patch Kid and she named him Clyde, after the ghost monster from Pac-Man. I guess I was too much of an influence on her. :smile:

--Klonoa

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
The Cabbage Patch Kids license has been bought, sold, and bought again around 4 times.

First it was Coleco in 1982, for about the first 7 or 8 years, then Hasbro had them for 2 years, I think. Hasbro and Mattel had them at the same time I think for about a year, cuz sometime in the 90's, Mattel bought them and turned them into the worst looking dolls ever! They started out okay, just really scaled down. Then they turned into psycho lookin Cabbage Patch/Barbie hybrid freaks. Toys'R'Us bought an exclusive license a few years ago, and made some pretty authentic looking 'Kids. I'm pretty sure they still have that special license.

THANK THE TOY GODS that Play Along bought the commercial license last year! These 'Kids really DO look like the originals (which I think looked really good), complete with original styled boxes and adoption papers.

I'm a HUGE collector of old 80's toys remakes (only the stuff that actually looks good!), so I've picked up a few of these new 'Kids. The first one I got was offa QVC, a special "First Pick of the Patch" 'Kid, then 2 more from a couple different Wal*Marts. Wifey got three 'Kids too.

*needs more shelves!*

:smile:
Anthony

SaraJayne

Reaction score
I always hated the names that the CPK came with. Mine's name was Alivira Lillian. I quickly renamed her. Me and my cousins all had the Crimp 'n Curl Kids. They had the wiry hair that you could style and it would stay that way. I also had the Crimp n' Curl Horse, Dog and Cat.