The Return of Futurama: Anyone Else Excited?

Count von Count

Reaction score
I'm a fan of Futurama but I don't have cable.
Maybe full episodes will be put on comedy central web site.
I hope it's good!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Well...since no one has said anything regarding their thoughts, I'll start (and attempt to keep them free of spoilers).

In first watching I was a little disappointed with them.

From the various previews I thought that Rebirth was going to be of a quality to equal The Problem with Popplers or The Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings, but after it was over I just thought it was a little too gimmicky and hurried (which, in retrospect, I realized was because they had a shorter episode run-time in order to shove in more commercials).

The second episode felt a little better (though I didn't think so until I watched it a second time) it felt more like one of the old episodes. Granted it felt like one of those episodes I don't watch very much on my DVD sets, but it still felt like an old episode. The one major critique I have of it was that the black-and-white, old-movie-serial style segments felt a little out of place and took up too much time that could have been given to other areas of the episode that needed them.

Other than that it was a pretty solid episode with some great moments (Shrapnel-Vision, for one, and the talking snake, for another).

One last thing, I'm not a real big fan of them making the tag-lines glow the same color as the background. They're just too hard to read when you're half a room length away from the TV.

Those are my opinions, what are yours?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I enjoyed the first episode more than the second one. I don't know why really, that's just how I feel. The second episode did, however, have my favorite joke of the night in it (The Professor's Chamber of Understanding).

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I enjoyed the new episodes, but...(what's the best way to put this)...didn't really seem like they came back with a bang other than Bender's line of "being cancelled by idoits than brought back by even bigger idoits." I don't know, it was good, but if felt more like those DTV movies more than actual episodes, :sympathy:, maybe that's because those movies are still more "fresh on my mind" or something.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I have to say, while I love Futurama, I don't like the direction they seem to be heading in. I liked them better when they simply had harmless innuendo, now they are just going all out. Case in point: Amy's dominatrix outfit :/ The ending to the second episode made me completely uncomfortable, to boot. Leela was SERIOUSLY out of character in that one.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I finally got to see these, and I was happy with them. Both seemed solid to me, with lots of chuckles and a few really unexpected bigger laughs. The change from eager enthusiasm to disgust as Fry and the other men realized just who would be participating in Amy's planned end-of-the-world extravaganza, for instance, was perfect.

More Futurama, please!

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I have to say, while I love Futurama, I don't like the direction they seem to be heading in. I liked them better when they simply had harmless innuendo, now they are just going all out. Case in point: Amy's dominatrix outfit :/ The ending to the second episode made me completely uncomfortable, to boot. Leela was SERIOUSLY out of character in that one.
Second. I've always been uncomfortable with *ahem* sexual humor and liked it when it wasn't front and center.

Let us hope that they will get back into the swing of things in episodes to come (speaking of which, there is a new one on tonight).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have yet to see an episode, but I know what's the problem... it's a show that has been canceled for years and just came back. It's not a smooth transition no matter how good of a writing team you have. Family Guy was lucky to have been picked back up only a couple or so years from its cancellation and was able to get back to the tone of the show before it ended initially. The show just gradually started to stink due to various factors from the second season of the rebirth on. Mainly due in part to the dreaded [adult swim] influence and getting more of a frat boy than older cartoon geek audience.

This show, however, hasn't been seen in 7 years. It was about 5 years before we got the first movie. And as far as the movies go, the tone's a little different than the show (so i've heard, I've only seen Big Score). So, I'd guess they'd follow up on that groove. Not to mention the extreme expectations building up in the fan base. I mean, there were a good deal of meh episodes in the original run. I just can't think of many, other than that episode about Leela as a baseball player.

Now, the fact they're showing more... is this still rated TV 14? They didn't give it an all out TVMA, did they? If it's one lesson learned from Ren and Stimpy Adult Cartoon Party its that sometimes working around censorship is funnier than not having as much. Heck, I watched a Phineas and Ferb that had cat whipped reference (and we ALL know what that means), and that's a kid's show. I personally find subversive jokes subliminally hidden funnier and more clever than outright saying it. it has to do with the unexpected factor.

I'd hate to think the effort of trying to bring this show back was all for not. I just wish Fox would air some of them as midseason replacements or something.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
To those who don't have cable (especially Drtooth (I'm still embarrassed about my big mouthiness)), I've been looking for a place to view them online and haven't found a place that has the episodes in an official capacity.

I did find this one site, but I'm not going to mention it here because I'm not sure that it's legal (The pop-up survey that wouldn't let me leave the page was a HUGE hint). :concern: