The Rick and Morty thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
This show is very brilliant with all these crazy sci-fi concepts, and Unity was no exception. Taking the worst of humankind who have no desire to change their ways and assimilating them on another planet? Seems a lot more reasonable than the death penalty, that's for sure. It was also great to see Summer get in on the action more frequently this season, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I also really like the scene between the alien, Jerry, and Beth. Beth is always quick to defend her father, Jerry hates Rick for all his abuse and coming into his home and acting like he owns the place. Jerry assumes the worst about the alien and Rick while Beth defends him, all the while both being right. And even said alien knows there's something wrong with their relationship.

Funny thing about the Summer and Morty story, consider the events of the last episode where Morty's idealism and Rick's experience clashed. Somehow Morty's starting to see that idealism can lead to bad results. Something Summer doesn't know yet. Seems that there are some moments where Morty's trying to gently trying to convince Summer of this, much gentler than Rick's role to Morty last time.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
The last episode was really neat too. With out giving too much away, I do have to say at the end of that episode when Beth hurt a "long time family friend" because she couldn't think of any bad memories. All I can say is that if that was the kind of stuff she had to deal with having Rick as her father (when he was there), it really is no wonder why she drinks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are no words for how delightfully insane last night's episode was. Rick creating a hit song about pooping on the floor, the whole bit with Ice-T and that being a thing at the end... just one of the weirdest episodes ever. They even seemed to handle jokes about religion with some great maturity and not the usual easy jokes about them being stupid. More of a discussion of corruption of the religious leaders than anything.

Last week's was a weird one too, weird but calculated with a nice realistic message. Real relationships are filled with positive and negative memories and those who are all positive aren't a true relationship. They took a silly idea and made it deep, and I loved the twist ending.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Earth being a part of a competition show where they risk being destroyed is very reminiscent of the South Park episode where it was revealed that Earth is one big hidden-camera reality show for the amusement of other planets and is at risk of being destroyed now that all the Earthlings are aware of it, and I thought it was great as well. And the maturity of the religious satire parts were the best I've seen since Moral Orel last aired. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
The intergalactic reality show dealy is a rising comedic sci-fi convention. I swear I've seen someone do something similar before South Park. It kinda borrows from the old champions of the galaxy that have to fight gladiatorial to save their planets comic book trope. And usually that sort of thing ends with the massive revolt. The twist here being any sort of derision or deterrence being met with a "disqualification." Plus I love the angle of the military pretty much inviting said "disqualification" by attacking the giant heads...and the huge missiles not even phasing them.

I'd say it's too bad there wasn't enough show time to showcase the other weird songs of other worlds. But this episode was packed with just so much. Hopefully if there were any written, they'd be DVD bonus features.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Rick and Morty also have a comic book series out. Old news to some I'm sure, but it must be doing fairly well from what I can tell.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've got all five thus far released issues. It's quite good and like most comics based on cartoons today, it stands up to the show's humor. Even if the censorship is a little inconsistent (but hey, so isn't the show itself...like they're only allotted a certain number of S words). The recent issue has the return of Scary Terry too. Morty even turns into a hybrid of Terry, only for Rick to say "Jeez, you look like a bad fan art!"

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I thumbed though the recent issue and saw Scary Teddy, which I thought was awesome.

Man I might have to play catch up with that series. That and Bob's Burgers