The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

Teheheman

Reaction score
One of the biggest things that make me feel old are sports commentators who make a big deal about an athlete's age, and then you realize that he's the same age as you are

Daniel

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Just the fact that I can actually remember when McDonald's had other company slogans, other than "I'm lovin' it," which they've been using for a hundred years now.

I mean really, just a few I can remember off the top of my head:
- "Good time, great taste"
- "Always good food, always good value"
- "Do you believe in magic?"
- "Did somebody say [McDonald's]?"
- "We love to see you smile"
The only other one I remember is the old Happy Meals slogan "Put a smile on."
I even remember being slightly upset about them getting rid of the song that came with it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm old enough to remember a time where nobody knew what Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's real name was, because "The Rock" was the only name he went by . . . that, and there was a time where he didn't used to be an actor.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I remember too in his wrestling days, back when he had a full head of hair, and before all the tattoos.
Wrestling has a way of making an athlete old. "The Rock" will be 45 this year (STILL not as old as me, the punk!) looks great for his age, but by athletic standards is considered over the hill. Same with baseball, football, basketball hockey, any sport you care to name. Forty is ANCIENT! Keep Michael Jordan on the golf course.

One of my favorite lyrics from Pink Floyd, in a song called "Free Four":

"The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime".

I'll be 49 next month, but I STILL don't feel old. Blessed to have a lot of memories, but I'm not done making new deeds. Not by a long shot.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not so much old, but I was having a discussion with a friend the other day, and we were talking about one of the unfortunate things about being an adult is that when you're more "knowledgable" about certain things, your adult mind can easily misinterpret something that was meant to be totally innocent from a kid's perspective.

Case in point: on another forum, a younger member started up a thread with the title "(Character) and (Character) in Bed." Seeing that thread title, my mind immediately assumed this was going to be some Rule34-esque fan art of the two characters engaging in some rather inappropriate activities, then to turn out the OP was sharing a photo he took of plushies he has of the characters in his bed.

I've found as I continue to get older, I have more and more moments like this, where my adult mind is quick to misinterpret something that was intended to be totally innocent. Very ironic too, considering once upon a time, I was in their position: I was young, innocent, naive, didn't know about the facts of life, and there were times I'd say or do something innocent, and older kids would interpret them as something completely different, then tease me for not understanding what they interpreted to be something dirty and full of innuendo. On the one hand, part of me misses having the mind of a child; when you have the mind of an adult, it's easy to make innocent things seem dirty, whether you do is consciously or not; on the other hand, part of me also wishes that I knew certain things then that I do now, and I probably could have avoided some embarrassing situations and reduced the amount of teasing I endured for having a sheltered mind as a kid.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Not so much old, but I was having a discussion with a friend the other day, and we were talking about one of the unfortunate things about being an adult is that when you're more "knowledgable" about certain things, your adult mind can easily misinterpret something that was meant to be totally innocent from a kid's perspective.

Case in point: on another forum, a younger member started up a thread with the title "(Character) and (Character) in Bed." Seeing that thread title, my mind immediately assumed this was going to be some Rule34-esque fan art of the two characters engaging in some rather inappropriate activities, then to turn out the OP was sharing a photo he took of plushies he has of the characters in his bed.

I've found as I continue to get older, I have more and more moments like this, where my adult mind is quick to misinterpret something that was intended to be totally innocent. Very ironic too, considering once upon a time, I was in their position: I was young, innocent, naive, didn't know about the facts of life, and there were times I'd say or do something innocent, and older kids would interpret them as something completely different, then tease me for not understanding what they interpreted to be something dirty and full of innuendo. On the one hand, part of me misses having the mind of a child; when you have the mind of an adult, it's easy to make innocent things seem dirty, whether you do is consciously or not; on the other hand, part of me also wishes that I knew certain things then that I do now, and I probably could have avoided some embarrassing situations and reduced the amount of teasing I endured for having a sheltered mind as a kid.
I agree with this totally. I used to do the same thing and also when I hear kids talk about some thing I just can't think in mind of a dirty old man but I guess that's a sign of us growing up.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
When your naughty sense of humor kicks in when you watch that Sesame Street film of a white kid visiting his friend Jamal at his house and his family have fried chicken for dinner.