The Saddest thing that reminds you that you're old...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Considering it was the film that resurrected his career after multiple bad choices he made, I'm not surprised.
Sure but I see this with a lot of actors; the public has this "recency bias" where their memories only stretch back so far. Suddenly 1990 is ancient history, lol.

Yeah, I don't wanna be that "cartoons were better back in X" guy, since I highly detest that insipid, generational myopic viewpoint
I know what you mean, looking back not every '80s cartoon was brilliant. I've had my nostalgia bubble burst many times. Sometimes you build moments up in your head over the years only to go back and realize your memory was a lot better than the writing, lol. Like the short lived cartoon Wildfire (Anyone remember that? It was about a girl and her horse). There was this storyline that terrified me as a child that I remembered being really amazing. But watching it now, I was disappointed at how slapdash it actually was. Still, there are just as many times where a cartoon (or something like Pee Wee's Playhouse) is even better than I remembered and I pity kids today that they didn't have the same experience.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I was once at a convention panel about subversive jokes in animation and the host said something that was absolutely brilliant. Something to the extent of "You 90's kids don't know how lucky you have it." Cartoons have been steadily getting better since that era, mainly because of the crappy forced regulations and parental groups at the end of the 60's. That's part of the reason why the 70's was a dark time for American animation. Japan, not so much, that was their giant mecha boom. Instead we got a band show boom. They got Gundam and Yatterman, we got Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids.

The 80's were getting better. Hasbro certainly put out some high quality shows at the time. But then there was the Smurf boom that made all those terrible Smurf knockoffs at the insistence of network heads. Otherwise we would have got a Teen Titans series in the 80's. Probably slightly better than Super Friends was at the time. I think that nostalgically we tend to remember the good stuff over the bad stuff... unless the bad stuff was unforgettably bad. Every decade had good series (even the 70's) but a bunch of forgettable garbage as well.

As for me, I always want to see something new. I'm excited for the next batch of animators who grew up watching the same exact things we did, and getting inspired by it. My real beef is (and we should all know this by now) the lack of non-cable cartoon series on Saturday Mornings. Chalked up to laziness, cheapness, and barely following guidelines that once created shows like Histeria! and Channel Upmty-three that left us with every channel showing Animal Atlas. I'd rather see bad cartoon shows (with the possible exception of a certain skateboarding series which has become my nemesis) over soulless "because we have to" educational programming.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I was watching a cooking show yesterday, and apparently there's an alternate pronunciation of the word "Ate" that sounds like "ett."

Either that's completely archaic or a regional thing since I've never heard that one.
I've heard that one in lots of cartoons and movies, but the character that said it seem to have some type of accent.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the funny thing. The guy had no accent. Well, not a huge discernible one outside of vaguely New England coastal/Vermont. Seems as if he chose an archaic or strangely rural (or both) term.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
you know your old when you rember when fruit rollups use to be bigger than they are now and when fig newtons use to have grape fig newtons and when wearing neon colors was the trend and when tv aired late night movies and when saturday morning cartoons taught you valuable lessons

Drtooth

Reaction score
Valuable Lessons are what killed Saturday Mornings. Now we have nothing but lessons.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
A few Things
  • Miscellaneous 90s Shows that some people have never heard of (Someone at work had never heard of Kenan and Kel for example)
  • The fact that 8 year olds have cell phones, but I didn't get my first phone until I turned 17
  • People 10 years younger than me can drive!
  • When I joined this forum I was 14, no job, and in junior high and now I'm 26, married with a full time job.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
Here's my list of things that make me feel old:
  • Zainy Brainy, KB Toys and Blockbuster going out of business. I visited Zainy Brainy on one outlet trip in Riverhead (before they built an outlet center near me 6 years later) and thought it was a cool store, KB was a favorite stop for me when visiting the mall, and I used to rent a lot of great things from Blockbuster like VeggieTales and Disney movies.
  • I remember Fox Family from when I wasn't even a year old due to my brother watching the Captian Kangaroo block and Pokemon that same year. It just isn't the same anymore...
  • I remember when Nickelodeon aired Tiny Toons, Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.
  • Cereal straws, Go-Tarts and Pokemon puzzle gum. Does anyone remember any of these? They were so good...the commercial for the latter is on YouTube.
  • I remember when qubo used to air VeggieTales along with many other kids who grew up in the 2000's, but only ONE person in this world knows about Kewlopolis.
  • Kidtoon Films. Screened G-rated films on Saturdays. I mostly saw the My Little Pony ones, which leads into the next point.
  • I was into My Little Pony before Friendship is Magic, and didn't expect G4 to be popular.
I remember Cereal straws, kb toys, and veggietales on qubo!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I may have mentioned this before, but I can remember a time where if you saw no ads whatsoever, you knew the website you were visiting was legit; back in those days, official websites like that were, "Registered and paid for," and therefore it didn't need ads.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know you've been around for a while when you can remember a time when the Geico Gecko had a more realistic and less stylized design, a much deeper voice with a more pompous accent (c/o Kelsey Grammer), and actually disliked when people contacted him about helping them save money on car insurance.