the scarcity of green grover

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like footage of the original green Grover is scarce, as if Sesame Workshop wants to avoid having us see him as much as possible. While the fact that Grover was originally a different color was mentioned in Sesame Street Unpaved, no pictures were shown. Noggin only aired one episode with the original Grover on it's Sesame Street Unpaved series. No clips of him were included in the Sesame Street Unpaved special. I recall that during the broadcast of that special on TV Land, there was a Noggin promo which was about Sesame Street Characters having hair changes, but Grover wasn't included (the original orange Oscar and three Gordons were included). The only appearance of the first Grover in Old School Volume 1 was in the pitch reel (and that was also his only clip in the A&E Biography on Sesame Street). No bonus clips with season one Grover were included. The interview with Grover in the booklet does, however, reference that Grover dyes his fur.

It seems like Sesame Workshop also similarly avoids showing the original Snuffy and Telly as much as possible.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Well there's 1 thing you need to consider with the unpaved shows.

They only showed a handfull of episodes from each season so I doubt in that sense they had any reason to hide the green Grover who didn't have a name of at least to the best of my knoweledge.

OK I see you were jsut referring to the TV special and book of the same name.

How Come you think the SW is possibly avoiding showing the green Grover?

I can't say much about the book but with the special they can't show everything.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
WOW! That's weird, that's like seeing Grover in extreme Technicolor or something, hehe. I'd like to see that show. I wonder who the human in the shot is.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sad to say, the only time I really saw Green Grover (Fuzzyface) was on the Ed Sullivan DVD.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
maybe I'm color blind

I've seen many of the same clips wher Green Grover (Fuzzyface) shows up.

1. Kermit's lecture on "In", also featuring the ultra-rare Fred the Dragon.
2. Baker #5, showing his face in the window.
3. A group of monsters saying "C"
4. Same monsters saying "A"
5. Green Grover, Beautiful Day, and Hippie Grump showing front and back.
6. On the Old School DVD, he's in the CTW/Sesame Street Pitch Reel.
7. In Season 1, Fuzzyface (performed by Jim) demonstrated near and far, as Grover would soon do

But for all the clips and still photos I've seen, I SWEAR he looks more brown than green. Maybe it was the tint control on my parents' old 1970 Magnavox console.

sesameguy

Reaction score
Yes, it's a very dark green. I remember reading something about Godzilla saying that he wasn't actually green but "charcoal gray." Maybe it's the same with Green Grover. :smile:

I don't think Sesame Workshop is intentionally hiding Green Grover. It's just that there were only a limited number of skits with him that ever made it beyond the first few years of the show. Like so many others (the original Snuffy & Telly, etc.), the original Green Grover skits are being stored in "Sesame history" rather than being used in the modern shows & videos. I'm hoping that later versions of the Sesame St. video player will give us the chance to see more Green Grover material.

Thanks for the cool "orange Grover" shot!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I remember being confused when I first read the review of Sesame Street Unpaved, where it pointed out that the original gray green grover was mentioned but not pictured. I ahd a copy of The Sesame Street Book of Puzzles at the time, and thought Grover looked black in that book. When I got the Mupets Magic DVD I noticed thata few monsters who looked black in still images looked a bit greener when in motion.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, Sesame Workshop has just recently chosen to include a green Grover clip on sesamestreet.org, the first and last sketch. I hope this becomes a trend for the site (it'd be nice if we got a new green Grover sketch every friday until they ran out). The Grover scene from Baker Number 5 was cut. I thought it might have been because of the green Grover, but now I guess it's not (unless the people at Sesame Workshopo changed their minds).

The tag for that sketch is "Old Grover", and it doesn't appear in searches for just Grover.