The Series of Unfortunate Events

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if anyone else has been caught up in this wonderful series of books. My favorite thing is how wonderfully sarcastic the books actually are. When I fist saw this series, I thought it was a Harry Potter rip-off, but I finally read one, and was sucked in! I've read every one, including the recent addition, The Slippery Slope. But I have a problem, on lemonysnicket.com there is a way to get a preview on the next book, by answering a series of questions, and this is where I ask for help. The last question is eluding me. The question is,

What Esmé Squalor would call a fashionable judge. (Note: This word is too dreadful to appear in The Slippery Slope.)

and I can't figure it out! could someone please help!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Sorry, can't help ya with the question. I've actually only read the first book but have been meaning for quite a while to get the rest of the series. My aunt loves them. I thought the first was an absolute hoot. I love the dry sense of humor. And you can bolster your vocabulary reading them too! :crazy: I'm looking forward to the movies, too, and I think Jim Carrey will make an awesome Count.
Erin

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
wow a movie....darn, I am out of the loop....*hides* but at least it's good news :smile: *goes on frantic search for information* oooooh....I can't wait!

JamieDenny

Reaction score
Sarah,
If you like S.U.E. try the Spiderwicke Chronicles, I've read them and i prefer the to S.U.E. and you must listen to me as I am a BOOKSELLER :wink:
Jamie

gemdilem_is_1

Reaction score
This is an answer for the person who wanted the answer to that lemonysnicket.com question thing. If you look at the question that says: what is "cleverly hidden in the drawing." (Other examples: L.S., K.B. and M.I.H.T.S.I.W.C.L.T.M.I.), the last group of initials (the really long one) is the initials to what the preview of the next book is. That should help you figure out some things. In answer to the last question: What Esmé Squalor would call a fashionable judge. (Note: This word is too dreadful to appear in The Slippery Slope.), what does Esme always call something fashionable? What is her "word" for it? That is the first part of the word and the second part of the word is part of the name of the judge from the Bad Beginning. Hope that helps! :flirt:

Gonzo

Reaction score
I love love love A Series of Unfortunate Events, and I'm scared that the movie will mess things up. I'm purposely keeping myself at least one book behind in the series, so I always have something to look forwared to.

Great books, great illustrations--they're like a combination of Harry Potter, Roald Dahl, Edward Gorey, and a few others.

Well worth your time.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I know what you mean about the movie...I think I'm gonna wait until some previews come out to make a final decision. If I see it, it'll probably be at the cheap seats in town, with a VERY open mind.

I believe the movie has potential, I think they might have killed that potential with the casting, though.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I actually like all of the casting EXCEPT for Jim Carrey...I think he CAN do it, but I think Christopher Lloyd would have been the BEST Count Olaf...

He's a great villain/crazy old man.

I'll be seeing the movie. But I'm a little worried.

:halo: