1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Seventh (Somewhat) Annual Muppet Central Forum Awards 2011

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by theprawncracker, Feb 15, 2011.

1. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Good question! for right now it just means that the 2010 catagories and been re places with all- time catagrories. So even if you have voted you may want to change your vote with something different.
  2. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Hmm. Actually, that discourages me from voting, as I'm a newb from the last year and I haven't been around for all the older stuff. If it's all-time, I don't feel as if I can vote fairly, not knowing the majority of the eligible material.
  3. dwayne1115

Well you can vote for all the 2010 stuff ethier way. Please we are just opening it up to see if we can get more votes. please send in your ballot (if you havn't) We may still keep the 2010 catagories.
  4. Slackbot

Thanks, but changing the categories midstream, and then making them uncertain--they may be 2010, they may be all-time--muddies the water too much for me. I'll sit this one out.
  5. dwayne1115

well ok like i say we are working out the kinks in it. We are just trying to get more votes.
  6. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i gotta stop being lazy and vote..who knows i may win
  7. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

I voted! I didn't vote for as many categories as I would have liked, but I definitely had some favs!
  8. dwayne1115

Glad to see you Vic and thanks for voteing!
  9. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I fully support exploring ways to bring in more votes, but i think opening the eligibility to "everything and anything" is more than a little self-defeating and takes away from the very meaning of the awards.

I think you're on the right track but took the wrong train. Here's how i think you could expand eligibility without opening the floodgates to making this year's awards about the Entire History of the Forum.

Things that transcend calendar years - i.e. fan fiction. A lot of fan fiction is written and posted chapter by chapter instead of all at once leading to situations where something might have been started in one calendar year but finished in another. If any part of it was written in 2010, i would consider it as being eligible.

Same thing with long running threads. For the best thread category, if it had participation in 2010 but was started earlier, i'd consider it valid.

Situations like those are things that could easily be expanded without any problems. But something that didn't have ***anything at all*** to do with Jan 1-Dec 31, 2010, not so much (and quite honestly, if someone was in the running for a 2010 award and lost it to something that wasn't 2010-related, they'd have every reason to feel quite slighted and ripped off)

Now the one exception to that would be the Lifetime Acheivement Award since Lifetime Acheivement Awards by nature are historic - someone could win a L.A. Grammy for example even if they didn't have any new material in the past year. (But even then, i'd kind of have a hard time voting for someone who didn't post at all in 2010, but that's just me.)

If the deadline for voting needs to be expanded and the date of the awards changed to get the needed amount of votes in, that's not such a bad thing - certainly a far better option than something that mucks up the value/meaning of the existing awards.

Another possible solution is to have two rounds of voting. (I think i might have mentioned this possibility last year) First round determines nominations. Nominations can then be announced for final voting for the award winner itself. This method (a) expands the time to get votes in (b) brings in more voters - those that have a harder time choosing have a smaller list to choose from and can also go back and research those specific nominees (instead of trying to remember the entire last year) (c) a nomination list refreshes people's memories of some good stuff they may have forgotten about or not considered (d) In some categories that have such a large amount of possibilities like Best thread or Best Post, it helps eliminate the real scenario of having a 30-way tie because each voter chose something different (e) expands goodwill because more people who didn't ultimately win an award can at least see they were nominated and feel good about that.

...At any rate, even if the new rules still stand where we're now voting for *anything* from the forum's history as opposed to the last year, i personally would still vote for 2010 stuff only and hope others would do the same. As mentioned, i fully understand and sympathize with needing more votes and looking at ways to solve that issue, but if in doing so, you dilute or mess up the very meaning of the awards themselves, then the solution ends up far worse than the initial problem.

(I know i probably think about this kind of stuff way too much but having worked ten years for a market research firm does that to a person...even if it's been another ten years since i was fired for being gay)
  10. Slackbot

Some years ago I ran the ReBoot fandom awards, and this was the way I did it, for the reasons listed above. I think this approach would be well worth considering here.
  11. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea. I make a motion that we do this. Is everyone okay with our changing the voting process with nominees for everyone to vote on?
  12. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

13. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

You know i'm okay with it! And thanks for asking everyone this time before making a big change.
  14. kathy26

kathy26 Member

is there a way i can be part of this occasion?
  15. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

I'm all for it!
  16. theprawncracker

Just submit your votes to muppetcentralawards@gmail.com!

Since the majority of people seem okay with the change... there will be a new post before the end of the day with some new dates and the guidelines for voting for the upcoming nominees.
  17. dwayne1115

I'm going to be going through a lot of the threads and such trying to get up to speed on all the what is and then I'm going to try my best to fill out a complet ballot. I encourage all of you to do the same.

We have had votes but none have been complete, so if you want to add anything to yours feel free.
  18. theprawncracker

THE SEVENTH (SOMEWHAT) ANNUAL MUPPET CENTRAL FORUM AWARDS 2011

--UPDATE--

AWARD NOMINATION CHOICES ARE DUE ON SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2011 TO muppetcentralforumawards@gmail.com
    (Those of you who have already voted need not vote again for nomination choices)

AWARD WINNER CHOICES ARE DUE ON SUNDAY, MARCH 6, 2011 TO muppetcentralforumawards@gmail.com

AWARDS CEREMONY, HOSTED BY dwayne1115 AND Aaron TO BE HELD ON SUNDAY, MARCH 13, 2011 ON MUPPET CENTRAL FORUMS

Due to low voting turn outs and high interest in making The Muppet Central Forum Awards a nomination-based contest instead, we have chosen to slightly alter our voting process. The alterations can be seen in the following bullet-points, edited from the original rules on the first page of the thread.
    • First and foremost, copy and paste the list of award categories into an e-mail and enter your votes for the categories.
    • Please fill out the ballot with your opinions for the best of each category and submit them to muppetcentralawards@gmail.com by Sunday, February 27, 2011.
      • You do not have to vote in all of the categories. (Although it is encouraged.)
      • Absolutely no voting for yourself.
      • Campaigning for yourself is allowed, as long as it does not get out of hand. (Acceptable means of campaigning include: campaigning via signatures, campaigning via avatar, and campaigning in THIS thread.)
      • You may vote for a forum member in more than one category. (e.g. I vote for Beauregard for Funniest Member of 2010 and Biggest Supporter of The Jim Henson Company in 2010.)
      • Any ballots posted in this thread (or anywhere else) will NOT be counted. All ballots MUST be sent in an email to muppetcentralawards@gmail.com (Your email will not be known by anyone but me and will NOT be used for any purposes other than to count your votes.)
    • After Sunday, February 27, 2011, the ballots will be counted and a new list of 2011 Muppet Central Forum Awards NOMINEES will be posted in a NEW thread on Muppet Central Forum.
      • Five nominees will be selected and presented to you, the voters, in each category. (Except The Muppet Central Forum Lifetime Achievement Award, which will only have three nominees.)
      • At this time, we ask you to please copy and paste the ballot into another email and select ONLY one of the nominees as your choice for the winner of that category. Send this new ballot in an email to muppetcentralawards@gmail.com by Sunday, March 6, 2011.
      • Once again, you do not have to choose a winner in every category, but we highly encourage you to research the nominees and vote in every category. This helps us to have a more fleshed-out awards season with a wider array of opinions.
    • Your votes will be tallied together to decide the winners of the awards, which will be presented at The Seventh (Somewhat) Annual Muppet Central Forum Awards Ceremony on Sunday, March 13, 2011.
      • Attendance at the Awards Ceremony on Sunday, March 13, 2011 is not required, but is requested. It's fun, it's free, and, hey, you might win something! For the first time, the Awards Ceremony will be hosted by two Muppet Central Forum members, dwayne1115 and Aaron. We're very excited to have them both working on the awards!
    • And the biggest rule that absolutely MUST be followed... HAVE FUN! ! !
    We, The Muppet Central Forum Awards committee implore you to please, please, please vote in both the nominations and winners ballots. We are having an extremely low turn out so far this year, so please submit a ballot with your nominees by this Sunday so we can make this the best Muppet Central Forum Awards yet!

Please see the following post for a slightly edited ballot for the 2011 Awards. If you wish to revote for a category you have already voted for, please send another email to muppetcentralawards@gmail.com with the header "[YOUR NAME HERE]'s REVISED 2011 Ballot."

Thank you all for your input, your support, and, above all, your votes!

~ The Muppet Central Forum Awards Committee

19. theprawncracker

THE OFFICIAL SEVENTH (SOMEWHAT) ANNUAL MUPPET CENTRAL FORUM AWARDS 2011 VOTERS BALLOT

--UPDATE--
    (updated awards are italicized with a brief explanation of the change)

Forum Friends and Family
    Funniest Forum Member of 2010
    Most Prominent Forum Member of 2010
    Most Underrated Forum Member of 2010
    Most Creative Current Signature
    Outstanding Thread of 2010 (any thread with a post from 2010)
    Outstanding Post in Any Thread in 2010 (any post in any thread made in 2010)
    Craziest Member of 2010
    Most Thoughtful Member of 2010
    Outstanding Reporter of Muppet News in 2010
    Biggest Muffin Purveyor of 2010
    Most Informative Member of 2010
    Outstanding New Member of 2010

Muppet Appreciation

Biggest Supporter of The Muppets in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Sesame Street in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Fraggle Rock in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Jim Henson’s Fantasy Worlds in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of The Jim Henson Company in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Muppet Merchandise in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of Sesame Street Merchandise in 2010
    Biggest Supporter of the Muppeteers in 2010
    Most Enthusiastic Forum Member of 2010
    Outstanding Fan Artist of 2010 (at least one new piece of art posted in 2010)
    Outstanding Fan-Fiction of 2010 (at least one update posted in 2010)
    Most Dedicated Muppet Fan of 2010

The Muppet Central Forum Lifetime Achievement Award
    Previous Winners -
    Phillip Chapman
    The Count
    Beauregard
    D'Snowth

When voting for the Lifetime Achievement Award, PLEASE vote for a member who has not won it yet.

Email completed ballot to muppetcentralawards@gmail.com
  20. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Just about to vote, myself... No, no, not voting FOR myself. I mean that I, myself, am about to vote.

Yes. That.

And you should vote, too! Yes. Yes, you should. Because... I said so. And all the cool people do it.