The Smurf's Triumphant return!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, here we go. The new latest trailer for The Smurfs Movie and yes, they're tossing smurfin' adjectives around left and right in the marketing. It doesn't look like the Smurf movie I'd want to see, but one of the characters, I think it's Clumsy Smurf, does look a little cute. I believe the Scottish Smurf it Gutsy Smurf. Here's their official Smurf Happens site and new trailer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
EH... that's kinda what I expected all along.

At least Neil Patrick Harris and Hank Azaria look good, and I'm hoping they got rid of the weepy brat that couldn't fit it. If there were a theater cheaper than a dollar theater, I'd see it.

Why didn't Paramount make THEIR version?

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
At least Neil Patrick Harris and Hank Azaria look good...
Have you ever seen something where they didn't? :coy:

It leaves me to wonder why the villians are the only things they get right in 'toon translations.

At least there wasn't a fart joke in the trailer. :stick_out_tongue: That fact leaves me with something resembling a shred of hope for this.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It leaves me to wonder why the villians are the only things they get right in 'toon translations.
Villains have more fun. But, I will say this, they got Dr. Claw TERRIBLY wrong in Gadget's first movie (a fun fact DVD special feature in the DTV animated Gadget's Last case says "Did you know in the original series Dr. Claw's face was never shown, but in the 1999 live action movie, his face was never hidden)... but in the sequel, Claw and mentions of previous villains were the only thing they got right. Seriously, one of the things that bugged me in the first film was that whole Dr. Claw used to be fat thing...

Though, in Dudley Do-Right, Alfred Molina was the ONLY one having fun.

As for the accent characters... eh... I'd say the cartoon series kinda added that thing in long before... Clumsy Smurf's goofy hick accent, Painter Smurf's stereotypical French accent, even Farmer Smurf's ...I guess I'd call it something either a Maine accent or an Amish accent or something...

And yeah, there aren't any farts... there's a BURP and a toilet... that's a turn off. Personally, the Smurf-a-bunga bugs me... But over all, I say... whaddaya expect? They got the writers from Scooby-Doo the movie and they based the thing almost on the cartoon series without bothering to do any comics research.

Oh well... at least they didn't use "I'm Blue" in the trailer.

Again, even if this film is the worst thing (and something tells me an August release date says "NO CONFIDENCE" louder and bolder than that... remember the G.I. Joe movie? Does anyone?) we've got the comics for the first time in English available in the US... and if you're a blue blooded Smurf fan, I highly suggest checking them out. It might even spoil you off of watching the cartoon ever again.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Yep- and Papercutz is publishing the original Smurfs comics by Peyo in English- so check it out!:smile:
(Had to make a plug for them, as they also publish Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys graphic novels- and I'm really a big fan of those as well- both the comics and the actual book series.)
Now granted I've never really seen much of the Dudley Do-Right cartoon (but I have seen some)- and I thought the movie was pretty hilarious and on-par for the most part.
Of course, I also thought The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle movie was hilarious and pretty much on-par (to some degree- some things could have been done better, sure.) (And I have seen some of that cartoon as well.)
I also liked both George of the Jungle movies (though I haven't seen nearly as much of the cartoon).
And this is also coming from the same guy who does remember both the animated G.I. Joe: The Movie back in 1987 and the live action G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra movie in 2009 and loved both. (some things could have been improved in the live action version- like using better, more well known characters for one) but for the most part I enjoyed it well enough. And I grew up playing with the action figures and watching the cartoons. And I've read some of the comics.
Oh well- I also like Superman III and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace and even the Supergirl movie though- so I apparently have a high tolerance for a lot of the "bad" (quality-wise) movies that so many like to pan. lol:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
George of the Jungle somehow managed to be different from the cartoon, yet it kept the same tone as the series. Even the DTV sequel, which constantly pointed out they couldn't get Brendan Frasier back. And casting John Cleese as an Ape named Ape was pure brilliance. Only thing that bugs me after multiple viewings is the elephant dung (which is even called back to in the sequel).

Rocky and Bullwinkle I loved, but we all have to admit, whatever studio head said "add a female lead" should have been fired. Her generic Mary Sue presence held the film back. But they did their homework, mentioning incidental stuff from certain episodes, even the Pottsylvainia national anthem.

Dudley Do-Right was plagued with concept and casting problems. I liked it the first time, but with each subsequent viewing, I just saw all the flaws. Especially having the thing take place present day. Now, DD was all about anachronistic references, considering the show always took place in the 1800's (Dudley loves Lawrence Welk)... but had it been more of a period piece, it would have worked a bit better. But the cartoon that came before it was wroth buying the video tape.

Gadget... well, CGI Brain and Mad Cat would have made the film a hundred times better... they didn't even bother to watch one lousy episode where it mentions they live in MetroCity (I sear that's an Astroboy reference), and they couldn't even get his catchphrase right. Oh well, at least they could afford the ORIGINAL themesong. Even DIC couldn't after a while.

Underdog and Dragonball Evolution I refuse to believe even existed.

I really don't like how they had to "Chipmunk" the Smurfs movie up. That's clearly the reason for the mundane real world instead of a cooler Medieval setting. It worked for Lord of the Rings... even Shrek. Why not the Smurfs? They have enough magical characters in their world to keep kids entertained.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Also, the live-action Dr. Claw looked and felt more like a henchman than a supervillain.

Drtooth

Reaction score
RE: The August Release date of the movie...

And this is also coming from the same guy who does remember both the animated G.I. Joe: The Movie back in 1987 and the live action G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra movie in 2009 and loved both. (some things could have been improved in the live action version- like using better, more well known characters for one) but for the most part I enjoyed it well enough. And I grew up playing with the action figures and watching the cartoons. And I've read some of the comics.
I said it already this thread, but the only thing that reminds me there WAS a G.I. Joe movie from 2 years ago is the fact that Marshall's keeps clearing the toys out at a buck each, and then restocks them for 4 bucks 2 months later... Really... August release dates don't work well for movies. Clearly Sony has no confidence in this film.

Ugh... Paramount. WHY didn't you do the one YOU wanted to do? The epic 3 part film series that took place in their own time?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I have to admit to liking some of the film translations of classic cartoons. "The Chipmunks" is somewhat of an aimless guilty pleasure, but it's also cute and has some sweet moments. The squeakuel was a disappointment that should have figured out how to get it right. "Garfield" was a gross miscalculation in just about every way except for the look and voice of its title character. I was impressed with the happy medium they found between realism and cartoonish. I didn't like anything about the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Movie" except for Boris and Natasha. The Looney Tunes films were terrible and shunned input from Chuck Jones and other WB originators. Big mistake. "Space Jam" is a movie for those under the age of 7. The classic cartoons were for everybody. "Underdog", "Yogi Bear" and "Marmaduke"...why bother? I mean really? I actually liked "Dick Tracy" and loved that they didn't follow Burton's Batman formula that most people expected. the "Flintstones" was a mess for many reasons. Henson's creature work was great and some of the art direction really worked, but the film just rubbed me the wrong way. I feel very much the same way about the first "Scooby Doo" movie. It was ambitious with good intentions that just didn't quite hit the right chords. "The Grinch", "Inspector Gadget", "The Last Aibrbender", "Speed Racer", "Richie Rich"...ick! I have conflicted feelings for the old "TMNT" movies, but I really did like the visual style of the last animated one.

I'm still intrigued to see what they'll do with the "Smurfs". So, the lil blue guys have been magically transported to New York's Central Park during a blue moon. It's irritating, but I understand why they want to juxtapose these mythical creatures to modern day elements in an urban setting. Let's see what they do afterward. I hope there are at least scenes in the Smurf Village.

One film that I'm on the fence about is "Hop". Sure, the initial pitch looks like crap-on-a-stick, but the ad made me giggle in parts. Maybe that's Russell Brand's doing as the voice of this bunny or the obnoxious fact that he poops jellybeans. That should have annoyed me but didn't! I think it's because the film is by the makers of "Despicable Me" who have traded in the goggled alien minions with yellow baby chick minions.

Anyway, my two cents.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Despite Michael Jordan's inability to act, I have fond memories of watching Space Jam as a kid.