1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StevieOpossum, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

The real reason, from what I understand, that it was not included on Mega collection, as it was included on Gems (I think?) was because of emulation issues. You gotta remember, these games were programmed to run on an entirely different system. When porting, its not just a simple copy and paste job. There's more technical stuff that goes on to get it to run smoothly on a system it was never programmed to run.

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Now that I gave it another look, it does indeed look like Sonic and Knuckles are getting redesigns. Kinda strange that Knuckles is much taller, but I'm too excited about this to care until I see the final designs. I just hope it has as many STH characters as possible. Maybe have Cubot and Orbot as Robotnik's usual idiotic duo?

3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I would have thought it'd be easier to emulate Sega CD games onto disc-based systems, since Sega CD games were on discs. They were able to put several Genesis and Game Gear games on various compilations, and Sonic Gems included a Saturn game. And I've been informed that a number of other Sega CD games have been rereleased onto other more recent releases.

I wonder if emulation issues or lost coding is the reason Knuckles Chaotix was left out of Mega Collection and Gems. Almost every other Sonic and Sonic-related game from the pre-Dreamcast era was included as well. And I've read that Knuckles Chaotix is one of the best Sega 32X games (and these Sonic collections do include some of the worst, lesser games from the "classic Sonic" era, like Sonic Labyrinth).

4. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Sega Saturn games, on the other hand, are even harder to port due to having three CPUs and using four-sided polygons rather than three as was the standard at the time (and still is). I think the beloved NiGHTS Into Dreams was recoded from scratch when ported onto the PS3 and 360, as was Sonic CD.

5. StevieOpossum

StevieOpossum Active Member

I wonder what those fans are thinking 'bout the new show...

Like Drtooth, I really hope for Cubot and Orbot, even though I like Scratch and Grounder better (it's better for more modern characters to be Eggman/Robotnik's sidekicks).

6. minor muppetz

I found the TV Tropes thing that mentioned the Sonic CD coding lost, in the "edit history" page for Keep Circulating the Tapes, which for some reason was removed from the page (along with info on the few Sonic games that haven't been rereleased on later systems). And I saw that it did mention difficulties in emulating the system in addition to the coding being lost.

Not to bring this thread off-topic, but I know of an unreleased Sega CD game that has recently been released for the iPhone. There were plans for a Penn and Teller game, which would have been a series of mini-games, including one that was a bus drive that took 8 hours to complete, with no stops, no picking up customers, and nothing to keep it interesting. Just 8 hours of driving a bus, and the pause button wouldn't even be able to work in this game (I wonder how they could pull off the lack of a pause). I don't know if the whole game is downloadable or just the bus driving portion. Can't remember the name, but I wonder if they recoded that.

I also wonder if emulating software for rereleases on other systems is what has kept Virtual Boy games from being downloadable on the 3DS. Yeah, the Virtual Boy was a failed system, but at least according to The Angry Video Game Nerd most of the games weren't that bad, they just missed the point of virtual reality (and lack of sales for the system prevented the games from selling).

7. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Virtual boy I'm going to hazard a guess that one, the games are extremely hard to look at and two, didn't sell well so they probably arent worth it to port. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find an emulator though.

I will tell you, from my experience, sega CD games run pretty poorly on PC emulators. I don't know if its just the ISO I have but Sonic CD crashes on me a lot.

I rarely have problems with atari, genesis, or nes games. I just wish I could find a more straightforward atari emulator but thats a topic for another day

But I still have never heard about the coding being lost for Sonic CD. I bet it was one of those misunderstanding type things. That's probably why it was removed.

8. Drtooth

I wonder how many original characters over video game created characters they're planning on using. Scratch and Grounder were far from original, as they were sort of in STH2. Only Grounder was red and Scratch wasn't even called Scratch.

9. StevieOpossum

They're more than likely going to have a character exclusive to the show, 'cuz the three previous shows (plus the OVA) had a bunch of show exclusive characters. Though those characters tend to get the fanbase all twisted up.

10. Luke kun

Luke kun Well-Known Member

What if Madonna got in Sonic Boom?

11. Drtooth

UGH! Just when I was about to stop collecting Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog series, around 20 years after the character's debut, guess who finally joins the Sonic series...

Breezie the Hedgehog! WOW! That's an obscure character to use, and from AOSTH no less. Great! That's 4 bucks more I have to scrounge up a month. Then again, they're having another Mega Man Crossover, so I was going to have to start up again eventually.

And hey! Coconuts, Scratch, and Grounder are there too in flashback form!

I just hope that whatever happens with Sonic Boom, Sticks the Badger gets absorbed into the comic series.

12. Luke kun

*faints* YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Now Amy, Sally, and Mina have someone to kill! Let's now give Madonna to Archie. And hope for Sally in Sonic Boom!

13. Drtooth

HEH! Coconuts mentioned that he's likely to get a "PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROMOTION!"

Always with the fanwank, eh Archie?

14. Luke kun

Well if they do that they should do "I DON'T KNOW" or Amy, Sally, and Mina's band.

15. Luke kun

The latter one I did a Sonic Grams on.

..."I'M SANFORD" will bring back bad memories. :laugh:

16. minor muppetz

These past few days, while playing Sonic Mega Collection +, I have beaten a few games for the first time. I finally beat Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (had made it to the final boss for a long time, saved my progress before fighting the giant Robotnik robot, after watching game play footage recently I finally saw what to do... why didn't I think to look at game play footage before?) as well as Sonic Blast (which I had previously gotten halfway to and saved my progress on, then hadn't played it much for a few years).

In the past year I've come to see that a lot of fans consider Sonic Blast a bad game. I don't see what's so bad about it (I think it's just as good and fun as the average Sonic game for Game Gear, which is generally "good but not as great as the Genesis games" at best). The last two zones were hard, and I found the maze things frustrating (but I beat Silver Castle Zone within a day of starting).

I also wonder why I don't remember knowing about Sonic Blast until I got the Sonic Mega Collection +. Was it advertised often? I think it's among the Game Gear "main series". Maybe it's because Game Gear was near the end of its life then. I also don't remember knowing about Sonic Drift or Sonic Labyrinth until I got Sonic Mega Collection +, but those are different kinds of Sonic games (and are among my least favorite on the Game Gear). In fact I can't remember if I knew about Sonic Triple Trouble until I got it in the store or not.

Also recently I have gotten better at Sonic Riders. I first got a copy of the game in 2007 or 2008, but had always had trouble, always coming in last. I have finally managed to come in at a higher place, even coming in first a few times.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  17. minor muppetz

Suddenly, I wonder if Knuckles was meant to be the Sonic equivalent to Wario from the Mario series. Both characters went from villain in their first games to being protagonists in their next games (though technically, Knuckles wasn't really a villain in Sonic 3, he was just tricked by Dr. Robotnik... I don't know how far in development in that game they got to before deciding to continue the game for Sonic and Knuckles, but I wish that the battle between Sonic and Knuckles happened in 3.... and did Sonic Triple Trouble come before or after Sonic and Knuckles?).

And both characters are ones who took me a long time to realize that they weren't villains after their debuts. I don't think I was aware of the Wario Land series until close to the end of the 1990s, and mistakenly thought Wario was a playable bad guy in the Mario Kart and Mario Party games. And of course for Sonic 3, I didn't realize Knuckles was only a bad guy because he was tricked, even when he was a playable character in Sonic and Knuckles I didn't realize that he was a good guy. It wasn't until I played a Sonic game on the Game Cube that I knew he was good (and when I saw him in that, I was shocked that he was "now a good guy", when he technically always was.... Though he was a villain in Sonic Triple Trouble, was he tricked in that one as well?).

18. Drtooth

It's blatantly obvious who Knuckles is supposed to be.

Think of another major video game franchise that stars a blue guy who, in his own third installment, was antagonized by a red guy.

That's probably why Archie had those Sonic/Mega Man crossovers. Strangely, in neither of them is this addressed. I think there's a side comic where Knuckles fights Protoman, but I didn't read that yet.

19. StevieOpossum

I don't know if this has been discussed anywhere else but, new Sonic game announced. This is exactly what I hoped Sega would do with Sonic, pull a Super Mario and make games taking from the classic 2D ones while aesthetically improving it. I mean, I'm in the minority that loves the 3D games more than the originals, but the hit-or-miss experimentation with the series (boosting, Werehogs, playing as three characters at once) was really throwing people off and was one of the factors that made the franchise the walking (or running?) punchline it is to some gamers.

I love the animation of Sonic here, especially on that new title screen. The game looks like a blast, like what Sonic the Hedgehog 4 should've been.

20. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Sonic Mania really feels like the Sonic game fans deserve. I'm getting huge Sonic CD vibes from it, especially from its soundtrack. Then again, one of the guys who ported Sonic CD to modern consoles is also working on this game, so no surprise there. :)

No announcement for the Nintendo NX, unfortunately, but since this game is being planned for the 2nd quarter of next year, there's still plenty of time for Sega to announce something. We'll just have to settle for Project Sonic. :sympathy: