The St. Patrick's Day thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Break out the Irish Spring and the Guinness (or the Shamrock Shakes for the underage and teetotalers), 'cause today is the one time of the day where it is easy being green! Namely because you're immune to getting pinched! :smile::confused::big_grin::skeptical::crazy::electric::grouchy::search::coy::busy:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what's ironic? I'm mostly Scotch/Irish descent, and yet I don't even celebrate St. Patrick's Day and never think to . . . I honestly don't even know why. I guess because when I was a kid, nobody really made a big deal out of St. Patrick's Day like they do other holidays -- even today, St. Patrick's Day seems to be treated as a day where you're encouraged to booze your brains out (mainly because of the stigma that the Irish are drunkards).

I have a friend whose not even Irish, but he loves St. Patti's Day, if only because he feels it's the one day a year where the underrated color green gets the recognition it deserves, lol.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It's more visible the closer you are to New York, Boston, or any other city with a big Irish population. It's nice to invite everyone to be an honorary Irish lad or lass, but unfortunately too many use the day as an excuse to get shoot-faced drunk. If not today, Columbus Day, Cinco de Mayo, what have you.

I must confess. I'm as Irish as they come. But by the end of the day I'm sick of the sight of corned beef and cabbage. Corned beef is much better the next day when you serve it up as hash.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Funny thing about corned beef and cabbage: in Ireland it's actually very unusual to eat the former on St. Paddy's Day as it's not an Irish national dish. It was likely a substitute for bacon for Irish immigrants as they arrived to America as it was easier to come by.

http://www.europeancuisines.com/Why-We-Have-No-Corned-Beef-Recipes

Now crubeens and farl, on the other hand... that's authentically Irish. But unlike Shaggy and Scooby in that episode of the new series, it doesn't seem so bad.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I'm Irish on my mom's side. Today, I learned some Irish dance steps over how-to videos. It's a little challenging, but it's fun to learn how. And St. Patrick's Day isn't complete with wearing green and listening to Irish music by talented people like Celtic Thunder, Celtic Woman, The Irish Rovers, etc.