1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The State of the World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jvcarroll, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

1. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Now that the other thread seems to have been burned, I've decided to start a fresh new one. We'll see if this works. The title is intentionally neutral. Here's the framework I'm hoping for:
    • Share what you want about anything, large or small, that's going on in the world. It doesn't have to just be political.
    • Try to offer or solicit constructive solutions, not just cynicism and griping. Let's see what we can do to make things better (even in our small circles).
    • Treat others with dignity and respect, even if their viewpoint is bizarre and strange, because we get nowhere by shaming other people. We don't have to respect a viewpoint, but we should try to respect the person who holds it.
    • Think before we post. Take a pause and consider if what we're putting out in the world is helpful to the discussion or if it just makes us feel better in the moment. No passive-aggressive quips, gas-lighting or antagonizing others for amusement
    • The goal here is not to win a debate. It's to learn from each other and to build bridges between people and ideas: common ground, where it can be found.
    • Listen to others and actually read their posts if we are responding to them.
    • When in doubt, choose grace and kindness. We could all use a little more of that.
    If anyone else has something to add, please add it. I want this to be a constructive place for everybody to actually discuss issues. Here goes nothing...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    1000 Eyes likes this.
  2. jvcarroll

Here are my thoughts on the Franken controversy: It appears the Democrats have instituted a new zero tolerance policy. There are definitely different degrees, but no one deserves to be harassed, in any way, while doing their job and our party must lead by example. I love Al Franken's politics and comedy, but we must NOT see him as a victim. He behaved inappropriately to enough people enough times in order to receive this outcry. Some feel this is an overreaction. I won't argue with that, but it's an important reaction that's been a long time coming. We are no longer in the days of Bill Clinton where liberals are going to let our leaders get away with harassment, abuse or lechery. We are here, in this moment, and moving forward to a better place for all. That is what is should mean to be a Progressive.

3. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

When I was younger, I thought that Al Franken was always a politician. Turns out that he used to be an actor and a comedy writer.

scooterfan360 and jvcarroll like this.
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Not Franken-related, but I don't quite understand the new hate on "baby-gender-reveal parties." I mean, I get why, but it seems like a petty, "next-step" thing to complain about after gender neutral bathrooms.

OK, so the gender of a child may not depend on the parents or doctors, but it's one-time party that happens even before the baby is born. Who cares? What harm does it do?

5. jvcarroll

We simply go too far sometimes and I agree. A baby's a baby and, at that time, it's all that's really known. I do have an issue with boys and girls being treated differently, but gender reveal parties aren't a big deal. Let the mother have her day with her child. She's certainly earned it!

Pig's Laundry and Oscarfan like this.
  6. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Honestly I'm just sick of people in general making a big deal on sex vs gender.

Granted, I will still say "sir" or "ma'am" when I address strangers cause how the heck am I supposed to know how you live your life, but putting that aside, I just don't get why people can't leave the subject alone nor do I get why the media has to make every story of a person coming off as trans like the number one story and we have to respect them even if, for all we know, they could be a terrible person with a selfish attitude.

7. MikaelaMuppet

8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Ronald Reagan was an actor, and even starred alongside a monkey at one point in his film career.

9. jvcarroll

The correct answer to this is simple. Behave like you always have until someone corrects you about how they'd like to be addressed. It's not a big deal. Some trans folk and others are mean about such stuff. I can understand why some of them are, but trans or otherwise, people should always be kind to each other. The answer, as always, is kindness. I think a lot of hypothetical narratives are spun and presumptions are made. Right now, the trans community is at risk more than any other minority. It's time for empathy and compassion. Once a trans person tells you the pronouns they'd like you to use once addressing them, use them. Easy peasy. Before then, people might not know.

Pig's Laundry and LittleJerry92 like this.
  10. jvcarroll

A good video about the state of the world...

11. MikaelaMuppet

I knew that of course. :p

12. 1000 Eyes

1000 Eyes Well-Known Member

This is something I think is becoming much more apparent lately. Not too long ago Starbucks was getting attacked for having cups that somehow was furthering left-wing propaganda and pushing gay ideas on others. My response was something to the effect of :p .

13. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

I really hope this thread doesn't become toxic like the other politics thread...

14. LittleJerry92

It will. I'm counting on it.

[​IMG]

15. MikaelaMuppet

I don’t think it’s going to.

jvcarroll likes this.
  16. LittleJerry92

Due keep in mind to anyone in general on this forum, I don't actually mean to be serious when I say stuff like this. I'm just being a smart***.

Who knows.... Maybe this will turn out better.... Maybe it won't. We'll see.

Some of you already probably caught onto my smart guy humor, some of you probably haven't. Just thought I might as well mention it.

scooterfan360 likes this.
  17. 1000 Eyes

Stealing from me. :scary:

18. LittleJerry92

Indeed.

[​IMG]

19. 1000 Eyes

20. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It will turn toxic if you let it. "I expect it to" implies you will let it.