1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Steven Universe thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr3urious, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Ooh, and it looks like there's some other new shorts too:

2. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

We finally get a new episode, and this time, it's a half-hour Thanksgiving-themed affair with Steven's long-lost first cousin once removed, Andy DeMayo, coming home to the barn and finding it occupied by a couple of "illegal aliens". And he's voiced by Dave Willis using his Carl Brutananadilewski voice, which never fails to crack me up. :)

3. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

In the episode, we learn that Greg's original last name was originally DeMayo before he changed it to Universe:

Uncle Andy: This barn's for the DeMayo family.
    Steven: What's a "DeMayo"?
    Andy: Andy DeMayo, Greg DeMayo, Steven DeMayo. We're the DeMayo's.
    Greg: Actually, we're, um, the... Universes now.

---

Steven: You're telling me "Universe" isn't a real last name?
    Greg: It is a real name, I had it changed.

---

Steven: DeMayo's a much cooler name than plain old Universe.

At first, Andy's prejudices sound rather Archie Bunker-ish, when he wonders why Greg couldn't just "marry an American" and he calls the Gems "hippies", but in the end, Steven manages to thaw Uncle Andy's heart as he reluctantly accepts the fact that people changed while he clung to old-fashioned traditional values in the fading hopes that things would stay the same....

4. Pig's Laundry

The winter special was really interesting. It's cool to finally get some insight into how the gems felt after Steven was born. It was a little sad though, with them not really understanding how human babies worked and them not being sure if he was really Rose or not. Not to mention the fact that Greg is still trying to grapple with the loss and even he doesn't fully know what his baby is.
    Also, unsurprisingly, Pearl is the one that had the hardest time coping, while Garnet is the one trying to keep everyone together.

Also, the song that Greg was singing at the beginning of the episode: Did it remind anyone else of the "Total Drama" theme song?

mr3urious likes this.
  5. mr3urious

Another thing that was cool was that Amethyst was wearing her outfit from the pilot. Which was just like her original outfit from the beginning, except with a sweater instead of a tank top.

6. Pig's Laundry

Yep, definitely cool to see them all in their season 1 outfits again.

7. Pig's Laundry

Anyone caught up with the show yet?

So far, the episodes have actually been pretty heavy. What, with Greg being kidnapped and almost forced to mate, Pearl posing as a slave. We finally got to see Blue Diamond, as well as several amethysts.

And, wow. The origins of the human zoo is not something i'd like to think about. This whole episode was unsettling.

8. mr3urious

It was really nice to see Connie, Peridot, Lapis, and Pumpkin get extra screen time by showing them how they picked up the slack while the Crystal Gems were away, only for it to go awry when they try too hard to ape the Gems rather than be themselves.

9. Pig's Laundry

Rocknaldo- For once Ronaldo actually seems to have gotten a fair bit of character development this time around. The whole episode seemed to be a clever metaphor for "allies" of different minority groups. Or it could be interpreted as being about some of the show's more pretentious fans.

10. mr3urious

And the episode after that was about Purple Puma retiring from wrestling and Tiger Millionaire becoming Tiger Philanthropist in her place. I loved how Lars was "marking out" throughout the whole thing.

11. Pig's Laundry

Some people are complaining about the most recent episode because they said it felt out of place and like it should've aired in season 2 or 3. I personally liked it. I don't think every episode has to be some big character development moment or something that furthers the arc. It's good to see that Steven still has a life outside of the missions they go on. I've thoroughly enjoyed all of the recent episodes, but I really missed the lighter, standalone stories from the first season.

mr3urious likes this.
  12. mr3urious

Exactly. It's a filler episode serving to let the viewers relax after something more heavy-hitting, much like many animes it channels.

13. mr3urious

So Navy (one of the Space Rubies named for having her gem in her navel) comes to Earth looking to join the Crystal Gems, and Steven lets her seek refuge with Lapis and Peridot. Lapis was not buying her adorably naïve love for everything, as it took her so long to love Earth herself. Peridot, on the other hand, was more willing to let her stay, knowing what it's like to be in her position.
    However, in a big twist, Navy swindled the team into getting her ship back during a seemingly innocent joyride, which Lapis couldn't help but shout at the rooftops about how right she was about her.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  14. Pig's Laundry

I must say, I wasn't expecting that twist. Not just because she seemed so innocent in this episode, but because she didn't seem smart enough to pull something like this off in any of her other appearances. So, well done writers!

I loved how delightfully psychopathic she turned out to be at the end.

15. Pig's Laundry

16. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

I'm glad this thread exists! I'm a HUUUGE fan of SU. Anyone else hyped for the upcoming "Wanted" event?

Also, I like Topaz - one of the new Homeworld Gems sent to Earth by the Diamonds - so far. Aquamarine is a little brat, though. She's small and cute, but strong and mean. Think Madaline meets Darla Dimple with a British accent.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  17. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Heh, a Cats Can't Dance reference. I've been lost with SU not watching anything regularly, so any new characters I wonder if they're fanfic creations or have actually shown up in the series. Then again, SU would be hugely helped if they had a line of figures or Mini/Vinimates.

MikaelaMuppet and muppetgem like this.
  18. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

Aquamarine and Topaz
    are official characters that appeared in the latest episodes. (Marked their names as spoilers in case someone hasn't seen the new episodes yet.)

And yes, I really do wish SU had an actual toy/figure line outside of Funko Pops and Mystery Minis. The only pieces of SU merchandise I own right now are a t-shirt and the Monopoly game. SU stuff is kinda hard to find. But apparently toys are on the way.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  19. Pig's Laundry

So, has anyone been watching the show recently? Things have gotten pretty intense, huh?

muppetgem likes this.
  20. mr3urious

I'm really hoping the Off Colors
    (along with the resurrected and reborn Lars)
    get to go back to Earth and join the Crystal Gems someday.
    I'm also hoping Topaz will, too, maybe making friends with Lapis, who should easily sympathize with her as she knows what it's like to be in an abusive relationship.

MikaelaMuppet and muppetgem like this.