1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Steven Universe thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr3urious, Nov 5, 2013.

1. muppetgem

muppetgem Well-Known Member

This is an unrelated post made by D'Snowth in another thread, but I thought I'd share it here:
    Unlike many movie sequels, I think Steven Universe is very good at handling their supporting/side characters. Sure, there's many of them, both gem and human - like the residents of Beach City for example - but they're all unique. They each have their own personalities and traits, and they're not generic cookie-cutter characters created only to occupy space or to be someone's love interest.

According to Rebecca Sugar, nearly every character on SU is important in some way. Even Ronaldo is important, because he's the one that foreshadowed the Diamonds at the end of 'Keep Beach City Weird'. Marty is important, too, because when you think about it, if it weren't for him, Greg wouldn't have met Rose, and furthermore, Steven wouldn't have been born.

On a side note, Rebecca once stated that each character has appeared/will appear more than once, which means that the Zircons and the Off Colors will most likely be back sometime in Season 5.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  2. muppetgem

So I just came across these on YouTube:

This is pretty much my reaction:
    [​IMG]

3. muppetgem

ARRRRGH THEY GOT DELETED. Oh well. I guess we'll just have to keep waiting until the show comes back...

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

One of my biggest frustrations with the show is the fact that Peedee hasn't had much development the whole show. He had an interesting story about coming closer to his father and growing up all the way back in season 1 with Frybo. I thought his character and the episode were very compelling, but that was it. Sure he still shows up occasionally, but he's never an important part of the story. Somehow, his brother, arguably the only character with little to no character development at all, keeps getting episodes centered around him. You would think Peedee would get more to do, especially since he's one of Steven's only friends close to his age.

muppetgem likes this.
  5. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. Maybe the writers find Ronaldo more fun to write for. Either way, Peedee should hopefully get more screen time and development, as the writers did for Connie, Mr. Smiley, Onion, Sour Cream, and others.

Pig's Laundry and muppetgem like this.
  6. muppetgem

I agree, I miss Peedee. And I also kinda liked how waaaay back around "Frybo", before Connie was introduced, Peedee seemed like one of Steven's closest friends. But now, like you said, he hardly shows up at all, except for cameos in the background. I hope he gets some more screen time in season 5, WHEN SU FINALLY COMES BACK.

Also, on a related note, I hate it when people call episodes that focus on the humans instead of the gems "filler". Just... really?? It's called character development, not "filler". SU dosen't have to be deep and plot-heavy in every frickin' episode. Sometimes, we just need some breather eps after all the crazy stuff. OKAY? *panting, out of breath* Phew. I really needed to get that rant out.

7. muppetgem

Waiting for SU to come back like:
    [​IMG]