The Steven Universe thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Steven's power of friendship and gentleness has really turned Peridot around. I guess having to deal with Lars so much makes everyone else that much easier to get along with.

It seems they're hinting that Peridot isn't really so much as evil as following orders and trying to save her own butt. Plus, there's that obvious Napoleon complex since she's as short as Steven. Making her so vulnerable has been a nice little story arc so far. She still hates the Gems, but seems to at least begrudgingly acknowledge the fact that she actually needs to work with her former adversaries by the end of this one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Like so many other fans, I'd love to see Peridot join the Crystal Gems someday. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
We get the reveal from Peridot that Pearl was one of many Gems created as servants on the Homeworld, and Pearl was none too happy about it, of course. I also loved the contest she and Peridot had with building giant robots, with Peri's being stronger and Pearl's being more agile, showing off both their strengths.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They seem to be peeling back the layers of mystery bit by bit. Slowly, but we're getting there.

Somehow, I get the feeling that Rose Quartz didn't much care for the class system on the Gem homeworld, and considering Pearls are essentially an allegory to slavery, I wouldn't doubt that Rose somehow managed to get Pearl away from that somehow and that's why they have a strong bond.

Also of note, some of the Gem concepts that were only slightly touched upon in the show, and so there's at least 2 anime style shorts recapping and fleshing out some of them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Seeing Peridot interact with Amethyst was really nice, along with some extra moments of humanity from her. I hope she gets to spend more time with Garnet in a future episode.

Grifoshka

Reaction score
I hope she gets to spend more time with Garnet in a future episode.
I'd love to see how that plays out, since at the moment they have the most trouble communicating, with Peridot not understanding Garnet at all and Garnet having none of Peridot's rudeness.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Without any announcement online, Steven Universe Funko Pops materialized in Hot Topic stores (I like how they've been catering to the adult cartoon fan instead of just the goths they started out wit lately). Obviously, just of the three main Gems and Steven so far. They look surprisingly different from the traditional Pops, Steven's pretty much a Steven shaped figure with big black pupil eyes. I didn't hear a word of this online, not even a rumor. The boxes of these figures even have a sticker saying "Hot Topic Exclusive Early Release."

Would've bought my sister Garnet instead of Louise Belcher had I known.

EDIT: Oh. Apparently news did pop up just before Thanksgiving. Just didn't see it on the Comic Book Resources site that usually mentions these things.
http://popvinyl.net/news/new-steven-universe-pop-vinyls/

snichols1973

Reaction score
New episodes of Steven Universe are scheduled for the CN promo week of "Steven's Birthday" from Jan 4 - 8.