The subject of trilogies

Gonzo

Reaction score
Just for the record,

I really like Batman Returns. I know it's not the best film (I don't agree with all of your arguments FOR it, Gymkata), but that Catwoman is the yummiest yum in yum yum town.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is my favorite Indy flick, and here are my top ten (lifted from some of my Epinions.com reviews:

1. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Easily my favorite of the four Star Wars movies, it's traditionally my favorite movie of all time. I've written a more extensive review of it on Epinions, but it suffices me to say that it has all of the elements that make a movie great: humor, action, romance, suspense, tragedy, and triumph. Not to mention Wookiees. Visually evocative and more character driven than the other three Star Wars movies, this movie has become like a comfort food for me; when I need cheering up or my mood needs some darkening, it's time to pop in "Empire" and let it wash over me like the sweet sweet love it is.

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
The perfect action movie, this expertly crafted film gives us an amazingly imperfect anti-hero in Indiana Jones, and then blends mysticism, religion, and Nazis to give us a globetrotting adventure that hasn't been equaled by any of the sequels or ripoffs (i.e. Romancing the Stone). Harrison Ford's best role (out of his many that I love), and a script and storyline that still inspire laughter, dread, and excitement. I love this movie.

3. The Great Muppet Caper (1981)
My favorite Muppet movie, this is the only one directed by the Muppets' creator, Jim Henson. The script by Jerry Juhl is the best summary of the relationship of the Muppets from The Muppet Show; the combination of familial love, loyalty, and general uh, wackiness that's inherent when you get Animal, Beaker, Lew Zealand and the others all in one place. In this case, the Happiness Hotel. It also does the best job of making Miss Piggy the Movie Star Diva she's always wanted to be, and she gets to sing, tap dance on tabletops, model, and even star in an Esther Williams-style aqua ballet. Kermit and Fozzie and Gonzo and everybody are great too.

4. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
This movie works on every level, and it will never be equaled. It's appropriate for small children, the music is wonderful, the characters are so iconic that the leads became typecast after just one film together. The sets are stunning, and no film from 1939 until "Schindler's List" and "Pleasantville" made a more effective use of the contrast between color and black and white. Even after all of the things Dorothy sees and experiences, even after all of the wonders of the Emerald City and Oz, what she wants more than anything is Home. A poignant moment in a film that has become part of our collective consciousness.

5. Amadeus (1984)
A semi-factual biography of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, it expresses the burden of genius (one I know all too well, my friends), the jealousy of rivals, the loves and passions of his life, and above all the desire to be loved. That's what I get out of it anyway. Far more than just a costume drama or a biography, the highs and lows of this movie are as extreme as any you'll find. Tom Hulce as Wolfie is unforgettable, and this is my father's favorite movie.

6. The Sound of Music (1965)
An absolute classic at the age of 36, this movie's greatest moments come during the songs written by Rodgers and Hammerstein. One of their last musicals, it's my personal favorite, and even going on a weeklong trip with only that soundtrack to listen to hasn't made me hate it. From the opening credits "The Sound of Music" to the later "Favorite Things," "Do-Re-Mi," and "Edelweiss," the songs are effortlessly performed by Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and the children, and are still singable by your average Dick and Jane. One of the first movies I saw when I was a pup that taught me what the Nazis were.

7. Sleeping Beauty (1959)
My favorite Disney film, this is a beautifully adapted fairy tale. Although for much of the film, Aurora/Briar Rose is pretty much a standard virginal damsel in distress waiting to be awoken by true love's first kiss, for the first two-thirds of the film she's enchanting and the most beautiful of Disney's stable of improbably proportioned beauties. No talking animals here, but the forest is magical just the same. No sarcastic villain sidekicks, but just Maleficent, who's Evil Incarnate. Wonderful music, artistic characterizations and backgrounds, unmatched by Disney before or since.

8. Back to the Future (1985)
This silly little Robert Zemeckis flick is wonderfully both nostalgic and cynical, and is a comedy/adventure that anyone enjoy. Michael J. Fox's best movie role, and unforgettable performances from Lea Thompson, Christopher Lloyd, and especially the inimitable George McFly himself, Crispin Glover. One of the first movies to use the whole "time paradox" sci-fi contrivance that has since fueled many a Star Trek, Outer Limits, and Twilight Zone episode...and make it non-geeky and enjoyable.

9. Sunset Boulevard (1950)
Billy Wilder's classic and uniquely American tragedy that involves fame, fortune, and the universal tragedy of aging. A Hollywood picture from the time when Hollywood was still an event, a place, not competing with television and the internet and other media for our attention. A compelling mystery, but the acting, especially from Gloria Swanson as Norma Desmond, elevates this above most other films. If you've never seen this (and chances are you haven't), you should really check it out.

10. Fight Club (1999)
Most of you will probably question my including this with the others on this list, but this film more than any other has captured the general fears, malaise, and ennui that's afflicting the men of the 1990s and early 2000s. You want to know the fears I have? The threats I feel encroaching on my own life? Rent this movie. Unquestionably vulgar, undoubtedly violent, this movie is so much more than the sum of its parts. If you don't understand it, don't worry about it. The point is that there are millions of men out there who DO. We see our surrogate selves in Edward Norton, who is so universally US that his character isn't even given a name.....he's the anonymous everyman. He is me.

Sorry if that's all too wordy. That's my stuff.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by the Mad Moose
No one has mentioned Big Trouble in Little China?

How can this be???
I got the special edition DVD as soon as it hit the shelves. In fact, probably before it since I believe it was pre-ordered.

I for one am a pretty decent sized Kurt Russell fan. I think he makes a great anti-hero. He is on my list of "greatest anti-heros of all time" twice with Snake Plisskin and Jack Burton -- along with Ash (Evil Dead), John McClane (Die Hard), and even Han Solo.

Great, fun movie, but sadly as enjoyable as it is, it doesn't quite make it to my top list.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
subject of trilogies

here are some of my opinions on(please respect),some trilogies discussed in this thread,as well as my top 10 movies(mostly naming sci-fi/fantasy(I could list more but just listing 10 right now,hmm I'll add a bonus,hmm 2,lol).

The Muppet Movie-fav.
TGMC-its ok,I like the music better than the movie,honestly
TMTManhatten-haven't been able to get into it

Back to the Future-first,watched it 23 times in the theater
Back to the Future 2-not good
Back to the Future 3-good

Jaws-first loved it,watch it so many times
Jaws2-it was good,not as good as 1
Jaws3(3d)-just watched it for the 3d(as little as there was),could've been better written
Jaws4-why was it made?

Die Hard-love the movie,dislike the dialog(weak),good casting,great pyro of building
Die Hard2-didn't like it
Die Hard3-I love the tie-in with Simon & Hans(though predictable),took me awhile to figure out jug puzzle(now I get it),I love Jeremy Irons & his female sidkick

Godfather I & II-fav. movies,I've learned so much about life from these 2(try to find the Saga version,chron. time of Godfather I & II in order)
Godfather III-no comment,I've tried to justify it,I just can't

Indy Jones ROTLA-fav.,still watch it at least once a month
Indy Jones TOD-not bad,plot line could have been stronger
Indy Jones LC-only part that bores me is the opening with the scouts,then gets better with the cut to Indy on the ship

Batman-the first with Jack as the Joker,great choice
Batman Returns-kinda weak with script,but good casting(MP trashing her appt. & her scene with the Penguin/the rainbow bird)
Batman & Robin-why? Arnold as Freeze(no comment) I did love Uma as Poison Ivy

Neverending Story-first was fav.,wish creators could CGI anim. puppets(like Spielberg did to E.T.,just to see how it would look)
NS 2-bad idea,with memories being taken away,weak script
NE3-didn't see it

Star Wars-I liked New Hope,Empire & Jedi disliked AOTC<coughing>Jar Jar

I'm also wondering,if there will be a third Ghostbusters movie?

Ok,now some of my fav. movies:frown:not in any order)
1)Young Frankenstein(classic)
2)Freaks(Tod Browning,scared me at first,now I appreciate & love it)
3)Wizard of Oz(fav. from childhood)
4)The Rocky Horror Picture Show(help me become extroverted/break out of my shell)
5)Godfather I & II(tied)
6)Metropolis(Fritz Lang)(I found the robot figure at Toys R Us,yayyyy,looking at it right now/its on my comp. desk)
7)Poltergeist(love the book,its such a great movie,my & roomate's fav.)
8)Jaws(my roomate & I watch this so much,lol)
9)Airplane(watched this over my Grandfather's house as a kid,hilarious)
10)Sleuth(Caine & Olivier,try to find this if you can)
Bonus:
Blade Runner:Just for its visualization alone is worth mentioning
City of Lost Children:very dark,but its so good,has a Fritz Lang quality to it

I agree highly with Toys(glad I'm not the only one who likes it).Its visually astounding,very innovative;I love the soundtrack too.

Does anyone like Hook?I thought it was good.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
movie trilogies

Just thought of another trilogy(plus):

Alien(Giger's world & Alien,wow;dialog could have been better)
Alien2(rock & rollercoaster)
Alien3(can't remember all that much about it)
Alien Resurrection(bad chick Ripley getting so cheeky,lol)