1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

The Swedish Chef

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by floyd pepper, Jun 20, 2002.

1. floyd pepper

floyd pepper New Member

Does The Swedish Chef have a name?
    Is he really from Sweden?? It could just as well be a chef from another Scandinavian country.... ;)
    How does he communicate with the other muppets?

:D
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Well, in the case of Swedish Chef's name, I don't think he really has one. He comes from a long line of characters that don't have a real name, just a generic term for what they are. Examples include, Cookie Monster, Big Bird (he technically doesn't have a real name, if you think about it), the Muppet Newscaster, or in the cartoon world The Pink Panther, or Road Runner. You can go around being called the man with no name, and still be popular, you know.

As for him being Swedish, maybe Swedish Chef flows better than Norwiegian Chef or Scandinavian Chef. But you can't really tell, cause he doesn't speak real Swedish, just pideon Swedish (like Speedy Gonzolas speaks broken Spanish). It just sound like that.
  3. Link Hogthrob

Link Hogthrob New Member

His name, according to Danny Kaye

On the episode of TMS starring Danny Kaye, who played the Chef's uncle, it is revealed that his family calls him Tom as opposed to a very long and complicated Swedish name.

BUT, I'm sure that it's not official...just a one-time joke!

Jim
  4. fluffmuppet

fluffmuppet Member

Yeerrr guuoorsh heeer, deeuuum, dedeeshka duu. Ieeebur deroor iehroom, Bork Bork Bork!

I couldn't resist! I love it when he sings that!!!! LOL!

~fluff~
  5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Hey!

Well, I'm surprised no one brought this up, but in fact The Sweedish Chef does have a real name! Mentioned several times in places, most notably when he signs his recipes in the pages of Muppet magazine. In fact in 1998 on the old MC, I think I had a post with Phil about this. Ask Phil, he'll remember the Chef's real name. Also, if you go through Unpaved I believe Cookie has a real name. And lo and behold the Count has one too!(Count von Count)
  6. Foreignman

Foreignman New Member

I've been through Sesame Street Unpaved over and over (one of my favorite books right up there with "Of Mice and Men", "Othello", and "THe Great Gatsby") and nowhere in it does it say Cookie Monster has a name other than Cookie Monster. Cookie Monster is his name, first name Cookie, last name Monster, just like Kermit's first name is Kermit, his middle name is The, and his last name is Frog.
  7. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

hey foreignman, apologies...what I meant is that
    they had a name originally before Cookie Monster. Whether if this is the IBM computer eater predecessor or not Im not sure.
    Characters like Swedish Chef and Snuffleupagus I know for sure have real/full names. The idea of Muppet last names is interesting. For instance virtually all of the Muppets on Sesame have relation to the 'monster' bloodline. Yet only a few actually use the 'monster' last name. (ie: cookie and harry, sometimes telly)

Any character who is a Frackle(ie: Boppity, Mo, etc) or Fraggle
    (red, boober, wembley, gobo, etc) also uses what they are as a last name.

So youre right...for most 'what they are' is their real name...ie: Kermit Frog, Sam Eagle, Fozzie Bear(and his grandma Emily Bear)
    etc.
  8. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

LOL, we don't have long complicated names in sweden, haha.

I can tell you a little true story though. Many of you may already have heard it from me.

There was an actuall swedish chef that were to appear on a cooking show in the us (or uk don't remember).

Anyway, he had really bad english and was very nervous, so he just fooled around with the food as the chef does. Henson saw this and thought it was so funne, he asked him ef he could base a character on him. Of course that was ok.

/Anders
  9. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Actually the story about the Chef's inspiration isn't true according to Jerry Juhl. He refuted that story on Muppet Central about a year ago when the release about the man claiming to be the Chef's inspiration was circulating the Internet.
  10. Luke

Luke Active Member

It's not that it isn't true - it's that in Jerry Juhls opinion it isn't true. The only person who could ever totally refute it is Jim Henson and i think we'll be waiting a while for that !
  11. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

well, there was a guy on swedish tv, looking a bit like the chef, that told the story and said that it was him :)
  12. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

Did this guy have eyes?
  13. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

LOL, yes he did, haha:D
  14. Salmoto

Salmoto New Member

Snuffy has a real name because from his debut people called him "Mr. Snuffalupagus." Later it was reavealed sometime in the mid 80s, (I remember cause I saw the episode when it aired as a little tot) That his name was "Snuffy." Therefore his full name is "Snuffy Snuffalupagus." Bringing in the Henson tripple whammy here since Snuffy's first name matches his last name and it describes what it is.

As for all those monsters being realted. Alot of them are blue with similar kinds of fuzzy fur. (Harry is an exception, since in recent years his fur has got more prickly.) Kinda makes you wonder.....
  15. Drtooth

I remember some fat German Chef (he constantly huffed and puffed while talking) on a show called Grill Masters or something (on PBS last year) and during the closing credits, he walked out into a feild and did a dorky dance with Spatulas. In many ways, that reminded me of the Chef. He actually looked like he could be a puppet.... I wish I taped it. Maybe the answer lays in playing it in slow mo!
  16. Drtooth

I always thought his name was Alluicious (pronounced All-oo-ish-yous, I don't know the exact spelling) Least that's what I remmeber.

I left Count out because I knew his whole name was Count VonCount (Like Jean ValJean, perhaps). But I'll take back Cookie. Cookie could be soemones name (maybe if their parents are really cruel or have a bad sense of Humor). But other than that, most of it does exist like Piggy's name (which, in another post, is revealed to be Piggy Lee).
  17. Link Hogthrob

Link Hogthrob New Member

Yes, Mr. Snuffleupagus' name is Alouiscious....tough to spell, I don't think I did it right!!
    Snuffy is just a nickname....on that note, I have a friend whose last name is Hatton; we all call her Hattie just as a nickname. I believe that is the context in which Mr. S. is called Snuffy.

Jim
  18. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Hate to be a repeat, but you're exactly right with Snuffy's name: It's Allou...Aliou..that long "A" word.

FOZ
  19. rowf2755

rowf2755 New Member

I Am With You! :) I LOVE It When He Sings That Song Too!
  20. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

Some one finally said it. I thought I was going to have to look up that name for Snuffy. As well as Alice. Her name is Alice (that A word) Snuffleupagus. Thats what I remember Snuffy calling her one time or that is someone calling Alice that.