1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

The Swedish Chef

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by floyd pepper, Jun 20, 2002.

1. dmx10101

dmx10101 Member

I like the Swedish Che, notice my avatar.
  2. lili

lili New Member

In one of Brian Henson's TMS intros, he tells a story about how a swedish businessman saw an episode of the muppet show and wrote in to inform them that the swedish chef was NOT ACTUALLY SPEAKING SWEDISH (or any other scandinavian language). Jim Henson wrote back saying that they were very shocked, and were going to fire the Chef on the spot, but he promised he would take Swedish lessons so they kept him on.

Oh, and i think you spell snuffy's name Aloysius. according to my baby name book (a must for every aspiring writer), it means "famous in war".

hey, maybe we should start a thread of what all the muppetty names mean!
  3. dmx10101

dmx10101 Member

I remember seeing that episode.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I recall hearing about an episode where Sam the Eagle or someone repremands the Chef for speaking mock Swedish, and makes him speak his NATIVE language.... Mock Chinese!
  5. Fighbird

Fighbird New Member

In MFC he actually talks a little bit scandinavian: When he first arrives, his greeting is "Glaeeele Jüüül", which sounds very close to the danish version of "Merry Christmas": "Glædelig Jul". :)

Any swedes or norwegians to comment on this? :D
  6. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

That's right. He says that, and it is in deed danish. I am a swede, but swedes and danes understand eachother fairly good :)
  7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

Cookie is a real name, but I've only heard it once as a ladies' name, which kinda makes me wonder about our fuzzy friend...

Count (title) von Count (name), so there should be a first name in there somewhere.
  8. Squigiman

Squigiman Active Member

I am surprised no one mentioned this yet, as I feel it's true. Similar to Aloysius Snuffleupagus, isn't Cookie Monster Alistair Cookie. It really sounds familiar, possibly revealed in Monsterpiece Theater??? Just thought I'd bring this up, just in case it's true. Take care.

-Squigiman
  9. RubberDucky

RubberDucky New Member

Although this doesn't pertain to names really....I thought this ws interesting when I read about it last year. http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2003/02/14/
    Anyone ever tried the "Bork" edition of Opera? Pretty creative way of exposing MSN if you ask me