The Tie That Binds

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Wooooot! Wow wow wow Beth! This is fabulous! I loved Rowlf's call to the boarding houe. And now I"m worried about what's gonna happen. *clutches dark blue teddy*

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Seven:

When Rowlf turned around from hanging up the phone his mother was standing there.

“Things aren’t going so well with the kitty are they?” said Felicia in a soft tone only a mother could use.

“Well, no, they’re not,” said Rowlf.

“You want to talk to me about it?” asked Felicia.

“I don’t know. No offense mom, I’ve already talked to a lot of people about it and I’m more confused than ever,” said Rowlf.

“How do you mean?” asked Felicia. She wasn’t trying to prod her son, but this was the first chance she’d had in years to give him some parental advice, so she wasn’t going to give up that easily either.

“Well, it just hasn’t been easy since she came home with me,” said Rowlf.

“I did notice a little tension or hesitation between the two of you when we came to visit last month,” said Felicia.

“Yeah, see we’ll have this really great moment and then one of us pulls back. I keep thinking it’s all my fault, so I’ve finally decided to approach her and give it a try and now she’s pulled away from me,” said Rowlf.

“Why do you think it’s your fault?” asked Felicia.

“Well, for a long time she kept approaching me and I’d pull back. I think I’m afraid of it Mom,” said Rowlf.

“Is it because of your history?” asked Felicia. Rowlf had discovered on his journey to rediscover his roots that he had left his home because of horrible tormenting from his own brothers and the neighborhood bully about the fact that he was friends with a cat. Times had changed considerably since then, but Rowlf couldn’t deny it, his mother hit it right on the head.

“Yeah, I think it is,” said Rowlf.

Charlie and Rex had overheard the conversation and came up behind Rowlf.

“We really messed you up didn’t we bro?” asked Charlie.

“No, it’s not just that. I’m kind of in the spotlight with the Muppets you know? What would the fans think?” asked Rowlf.

“From what we could tell of that group, there’s a lot of this sort of thing going on. Why would the fans treat you any differently?” asked Rex.

“That’s just it, they wouldn’t and that’s why it’s the perfect environment for her and I to be trying this in. My friends, they won’t judge us,” said Rowlf.

“Seems to me you just need to let the past go and listen to your heart. You have a connection with that cat whether you want to run from it or not. You need to just let go and let your true feelings out,” said Felicia.

Rowlf smiled when he realized how much his family really cared for him. And they made everything make sense. Sure, he was still making amends for the past and building a relationship with his brothers, but they understood him.
“I’m going to call Wanda again tomorrow and ask her to come out here after the show,” said Rowlf.

“That’s great!” said Felicia. She gave her son a hug happy she was finally able to help him. And now he could help her other son too.

“Oh hey Rowlf? We’ve got a surprise for you!” said Charlie.

“Why? It’s not my birthday,” said Rowlf.

“Yeah, well we want you to feel comfortable here anytime,” said Felicia as she led him over to the back of the garage. There was an upright piano.

“Sorry it’s not real great, but it’s all we had room for,” said Rex.

“Wow! I don’t think any gift could be better unless it was ultra strong flea powder! You guys are great,” said Rowlf and then sat down to play them a song.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Back at the boarding house Kermit went upstairs to try and find Wanda. He noticed the door to Piggy’s room was half open and Wanda was in talking to her. He crouched down a little to eavesdrop. It sort of boggled his mind how Wanda and Piggy were suddenly such good friends.

“I felt so bad lying about why I couldn’t talk to Rowlf,” said Wanda.

“Oh mon petite chat, trust me, you’ll be making him want you more if you just keep avoiding him. It’s a foolproof plan. It always works for me and Kermie,” said Piggy.

“What?” burst out Kermit from his hiding spot.

“Kermie?” asked Piggy a little timidly.

“Yeah,” said Kermit and then came into the room. “What exactly is going on with the two of you?” he asked.

“Well, Wanda here was having an insy winsy problem with Rowlfie so I was just trying to help her out,” said Piggy.

“I’m sure if Wanda needed your help she would have asked for it,” said Kermit.

“Actually I did ask for her help,” said Wanda looking a little sheepish.

“Really? Piggy?” asked Kermit in surprise.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Piggy as her nostrils began to flare.

“Nothing, nothing at all, sometimes I just don’t know if you know everything there is about love that’s all,” said Kermit quickly and then darted from the room before risking a karate chop.

“Oooh, that frog,” seethed Piggy.

“Ok, well, thanks for your help, but I think I’m going to leave you alone now,” said Wanda and quickly left the room.

Piggy slammed the door and had one of her famous temper tantrums.

Kermit was standing in the hallway.

“Hey Wanda, I’m sorry I interrupted your conversation, I just was wondering what the two of you were up to,” said Kermit.

“It’s ok, I went to Piggy because she’s a female and well, I thought she’d be able to help me,” said Wanda.

“I’ll let you in on a secret,” said Kermit.

“What’s that?” asked Wanda.

“I love Piggy. I do. But I don’t love her when she forces herself at me or when she avoids me. I love her when she’s herself,” said Kermit.

“Gosh that seems so simple doesn’t it,” said Wanda.

“I know, it’s hard, but really you should give it a try,” said Kermit.

“Did Rowlf say he was going to call back?” asked Wanda.

“Yeah, he’s going to call tomorrow,” said Kermit.

“Let me know when he does,” said Wanda and turned to go in her room.

Kermit smiled as he went to read Robin his bedtime story. He was so glad he was able to help.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The next day Rowlf and his family were up bright and early so Rowlf could have his physical. He came out perfectly.

The family was gathered in Moe’s room when Dr. Whitmire came to give them the news.

“Well Rowlf, you’re the perfect donor. What’s your decision?” asked Dr. Whitmire.

Rowlf didn’t even hesitate before answering, “I’ll do it.” Felicia squeezed his hand and Moe gave him a grateful look from the bed.

“All right, it’s going to be a few days, we’re going to have to prep Moe for the surgery,” said Dr. Whitmire.

“You can go home for a few days if you want Rowlf,” said Felicia.

“No, I’m going to call Kermit and I’m staying here. You guys need me,” said Rowlf.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
AWWWWWWWWWWW!!! That convo with Rowlf and his mom...Beth that was great!! And Kermit finally talking to Wanda. I loved it! More please!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Aw... Hugs to you Beth. Awesome chapter.
Liked the conversation between Piggy, Wanda, and Kermit best... And the resulting exits by both from the diva's bedroom.

And the conversation between Rowlf and his family... Truly great.
Keep it coming... Soon... Please-Ish?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Eight:

Rowlf excused himself from the room and went to call Kermit. He knew it was Thursday, which was dress rehearsal day, but he also knew Kermit would want to know as soon as possible what was going on.

“Muppet Theatre, Scooter speaking,” came Scooter’s voice on the other end.

“Hey Scooter, it’s Rowlf. Is Kermit around? I need to talk to him,” said Rowlf.

“I will track him down for you,” said Scooter.

While he waited for Kermit to come to the phone Rowlf started fiddling with the phone cord. He was going to talk to Wanda too and he really hoped she would agree to come out when he asked her to.

“Rowlf?” came Kermit’s voice picking up the phone.

“Yeah, it’s me,” said Rowlf.

“What’s up?” asked Kermit.

“I’m a perfect match for Moe,” said Rowlf.

“That’s great! When will they do the transplant?” asked Kermit.

“In a few days, they need to prep Moe for the surgery, it’s pretty involved for him. For me, I’ll just be knocked out for a little bit and then a little sore when I wake up,” said Rowlf.

“That doesn’t sound too bad. Are you nervous?” asked Kermit.

“Nah, it’s no big deal. I’d do the same thing for any one of you guys,” said Rowlf though deep down, he was feeling a little apprehensive.

“Well, like I said, don’t worry about things here, stay there as long as you need, just keep checking in,” said Kermit.

“Will do. Hey, is Wanda around?” asked Rowlf.

“I don’t know, I’ll check,” said Kermit but when he turned around to go find her, she was already standing right there.

“Is that Rowlf?” asked Wanda.

“Yeah, he wants to talk to you,” said Kermit handing over the phone.

“Rowlf?” asked Wanda softly into the phone.

“Hi Wanda! How are things going?” asked Rowlf as his heart began to pound at the sound of her voice.

“Not too bad. I’m a little nervous for the show tomorrow, but that always happens to me,” said Wanda.

“You’ll be great,” said Rowlf.

“Thanks. So, how’s your brother?” asked Wanda.

“He’s going to be fine, but I’m going to be giving him some bone marrow,” said Rowlf.

“Oh my,” said Wanda. Rowlf quickly explained the procedure then asked her the big question that had been on his mind.

“Um, I’m kind of feeling a little nervous about everything and I was wondering if you’d come up here. And, I miss you,” said Rowlf.

Wanda was quiet for a second; so quiet that Rowlf was afraid she’d hung up. Finally she spoke.

“I’d be happy to come up Rowlf,” she said.

“Really? That’s great! Thanks,” said Rowlf. They discussed some details as to when she’d arrive and then Rowlf said he had to go.

“I’m really glad you’re coming,” he said.

“Me too,” said Wanda and hung up the phone. She smiled when she realized Kermit was right. Things are a whole lot easier when you just act like yourself. Kermit came back over to the desk.

“Did you have a good conversation?” asked Kermit.

“I think so. I’m going to go up there after the show tomorrow. Be with him for the surgery and all,” said Wanda.

“That’s great!” said Kermit and patted her on the back before walking away.

Wanda nervously went to approach Piggy for their final dress rehearsal. She hadn’t talked to her since the incident the night before.

“Hi Piggy,” she said timidly.

“Hello Wanda,” said Piggy a little sadly.

“Are you ready to rehearse?” asked Wanda.

“If we must,” said Piggy.

“Hey, look, I’m sorry about last night,” said Wanda.

“No, I’m the one who should be sorry. Kermie’s right, I don’t know anything about love,” sighed Piggy.

“Well, that’s not entirely true. I think some of what you told me to do to Rowlf worked. He was practically begging me to come to Minnesota,” Wanda lied a little to make Piggy feel better.

“Really?” asked Piggy.

“Uh yeah. You know what else helped though? Just being myself,” said Wanda.

“Being yourself?” asked Piggy.

“Yeah, guys seem to dig that sort of thing,” said Wanda.

“Hmm, I’ll have to think about that. Thanks,” said Piggy. They set about rehearsing for their song.

Before Wanda knew it, it was Friday night and the show was over. She was going to catch a late bus to Minnesota and just sleep while it traveled.

“Give Rowlf a hug for us,” said Kermit.

“Tell him what he is doing is really brave,” said Robin.

“And tell him to get back here soon, I don’t know if I can do Veterinarian’s Hospital again,” said Fozzie.

“I will, thanks guys,” said Wanda and then left the theatre for the bus station. She smiled, by morning she’d be back with Rowlf and they could begin making things better between each other.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Now this chapter was what I needed... Wanda talking to Rowlf and agreeing to go to Minnesota... The send-off... And how she was talking to Piggy, using a bit of her advice and Kermit's, cycling the Muppetness throughout her contacts...
It's rully great... Keep it comin'.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Yaaaaaaaaaay!!! Wanda's going to Minnesota! Oh how great! That should really make Rowlf happy! And me too! :smile:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Chapter Nine:

Rowlf waited nervously at the bus station the next morning. He had a rose in his hand for Wanda. He was going to make a fresh start right now. Finally the bus pulled in.

As usual Wanda was a site to behold as she stepped off the bus into the warm summery Minnesota air.

“Wanda!” called Rowlf.

“Hey!” she called and walked over to him. She had also decided it was time for a fresh start and time to stop being afraid, so she reached out to hug him.

“This is for you,” said Rowlf coming out of the embrace.

“Oh, it’s beautiful!” gushed Wanda.

“So, I was thinking if it’s all right with you we could go see Moe and then we could have dinner together later,” said Rowlf.

“That sounds fine. I’d like to see your family,” said Wanda.

With that Rowlf led them out of the bus station and hailed a cab. It pulled right up.

“Wow, that was fast!” said Wanda.

“Yeah, I’ve got a way with cars. But this is nothing, you should see how Gonzo hails a cab,” said Rowlf.

“I can only imagine,” said Wanda as Rowlf opened the door for her. They arrived at the hospital in no time.

Before they went upstairs Wanda turned to Rowlf. “I hate to even ask this, but how does he look, how does he seem? I just want to be prepared,” said Wanda.

“He actually doesn’t look that bad and he’s in really good spirits,” said Rowlf.

“Oh good,” said Wanda.

“At worst he looks just really tired,” said Rowlf.

Nothing could’ve prepared him for what they actually found when they got upstairs. Moe had been moved to an isolation chamber in preparation for the surgery. His color was draining due to some of the treatments he was receiving.

“Gosh, I wasn’t expecting this, I’m sorry,” whispered Rowlf as they stood in the hallway.

“Rowlf! There you are, I’ve been looking all over for you,” said Felicia running up behind them.

“Sorry mom, I had to go get Wanda from the bus station,” said Rowlf.

“Oh Wanda! It’s so lovely to see you,” said Felicia.

“It’s good to see you too Mrs. The Dog,” said Wanda.

“Oh please, honey, call me Felicia,” said Felicia.

“Oh, no problem,” said Wanda.

“Rowlf, it’s really going to happen. Moe’s doing great, they want to do the surgery tomorrow,” said Felicia.

“Wow, that soon?” asked Rowlf.

“Yeah, the doctor wants to talk to you right away about a bunch of pre-op stuff for you,” said Felicia.

“All right. Um, do you know if I’ll be able to take Wanda out to dinner?” asked Rowlf.

“I don’t know, you’ll have to ask him. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going in to visit with Moe. He can only have one visitor at a time,” said Felicia and rushed passed them into Moe’s room.

“Gosh, maybe I shouldn’t have come,” said Wanda.

“No, I want you here. Please stay,” said Rowlf.

“Don’t worry, I will,” said Wanda.

“Rowlf!” called Dr. Whitmire from down the hall.

“Yes Doc?” asked Rowlf.

“Why don’t you come into my office, I’ve got some things to go over with you,” said Dr. Whitmire.

“Sure,” said Rowlf.

“Who’s this?” asked Dr. Whitmire pointing to Wanda.

“Oh, this is Wanda. She’s my um…girlfriend,” Rowlf said surprising himself a little bit. Wanda smiled. She liked this change she was seeing in Rowlf.

“Pleased to meet you,” said Wanda as Dr. Whitmire shook her hand.

Dr. Whitmire ushered them into his office where he explained what would take place. He informed them that there are a few risks, but said that Rowlf was plenty healthy so it should be fine. He told them the surgery wouldn’t take long and that it was really more involved for Moe.

Rowlf asked if he could still take Wanda out to dinner.

“Sure, I don’t see a problem with that. No food after midnight though,” said Dr. Whitmire.

“I suppose I should call Kermit again,” said Rowlf as they left the office.

“That’s probably not a bad idea,” said Wanda.

Rowlf wandered over to a pay phone and dialed the Boarding House.

“Muppet Boarding House, Kermit speaking,” said Kermit.

“Hey Kermit it’s Rowlf,” said Rowlf.

“Hi! Did Wanda make there all right?” asked Kermit.

“Yeah, she’s standing right here,” said Rowlf.

“Oh good,” said Kermit.

“But anyway, what I’m really calling to tell you is that I’m having my surgery tomorrow,” said Rowlf.

“Really? Wow, that’s fast!” said Kermit.

“Time kind of matters for Moe right now,” said Rowlf.

“Gotcha. Hey, hang on a second Rowlf,” said Kermit.

Wanda looked at Rowlf when he was silent for a while.

“What’s going on?” she asked.

“Kermit said to hang on,” said Rowlf.

After a few minutes Kermit came back. “Rowlf?” asked Kermit.

“Yeah?” asked Rowlf.

“You’re on speakerphone now. There’s a few people here who’d like to wish you good luck,” said Kermit.

A number of voices followed.

“Good luck Rowlf!”

“Hey dog man! Good vibes to you and hurry back to jam with us soon!”

“You are so brave Uncle Rowlf!”

“It is a very American thing that you are doing. I must admit I admire that.”

“Rowlf, I just hope they don’t mix your blood with the blood of an ancient mutant flying shark. I’m sure they won’t though.”

“Hey we love you Rowlf!”

“DOGGIE! GOOD THING!”

“Thanks everyone,” said Rowlf when they had finished.

“If you’re feeling up to it, call us tomorrow, otherwise have Wanda do it,” said Kermit.

“Will do,” said Rowlf and hung up the phone.

“What was all that?” asked Wanda.

“My crazy second family wishing me well,” said Rowlf smiling and shaking his head a little bit.

“That’s really nice,” said Wanda and smiled. She was hoping she’d be part of this family, crazy as it was, for a long time to come.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a rully nice chapter there Beth. Loved the Muppet dialogue wishing Rowlf well. Liking how Rowlf and Wanda are getting closer with each other.
Post more when you can.