The Tradgedy of Digit, Muppet who Failed to Be

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
Digit scares me. He is so ... unmuppety
You know Tommie, I think that sums my feelings up pretty well. Like, I like Digit, but he doesn't fit in. I mean, we have so many monsters, but they are Muppet monsters. And we have all sorts of ghosts and ghoulies, but, they are Muppet ghosts anf ghoulies. I mean, Uncle Deadly is a creepy character, but he doesn't frighten me. Digit just just...:eek: (hehe)

-Matt

Drtooth

Reaction score
Man.. I looooved Digit. Too bad Palisades doesn't have the licence to do him as a figure... other than JHH and The Cosby show, that's about it for him.. with any luck we may see him in the upcoming Fox show, that is if there was such a one!

DirthNader

Reaction score
HOLY SMACK! he's a freaky looking character!!

Per Chinchilla's advice, I went to the help screen and was confronted by the most disturbing Muppet I have ever seen.

Now, is he cool looking? I beleive so. He looks more suited to a feature length movie(one in the fantasy genre) than as a character rubbing elbows with the likes of Beaker.

He kinda reminds me of the "Death" puppet in the Storyteller.

Anyway, thanks for getting me to his image. Now I'll try hard to get it out of my head before I go to sleep tonight.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
You mean to tell me, that after 100 freakin' viewings of MV3D, that I overlooked Digit EVERY SINGLE TIME?! Lord, I am so ashamed...:embarrassed:
Well, it has been a while since I've seen it, so maybe my memory's bad. But it seems more likely that I'd forget something than it does that I'd imagine someone being there if they weren't!

No shame for missing him. Your attention was on the foreground, where Bunsen and Beaker are doing funny things just before Waldo comes out and blows everyone's minds with what he can do. Digit's completely in the background.

Chincilla: Glad you found the comments helpful. I guess now, though, we're really hearing from people why they don't use this character anymore! :smirk: This is probably why they went back to the "softer" look for Muppets Tonight -- maybe too soft, in my opinion. But that's probably why they did it.

Regarding photos, there are some slightly better ones, and I could dig them up if anyone's interested. But the fact remains that Digit (much as I love him) is a really unusual looking Muppet, at best.

For that matter, all the characters from JHH were weird-looking. But Digit seems to be the most popular of the group.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
Regarding photos, there are some slightly better ones, and I could dig them up if anyone's interested.
If you'd link those, I'd be grateful.

And yeah you're right, I probably just wasn't studying the scene as well as I should've been. I am going again in like May, so I shall DEFINITELY keep an eye out for the spooky one. :big_grin:

-Matt

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus Rock
If you'd link those, I'd be grateful.

Here are the two most common pictures of Digit. (Warning: the links may not work because it's GeoCities. You may have to cut and paste the addys into the URL box to see 'em.)

The first, probably his best, is from the JHH control room. Digit seems to fit in to the general wackiness going on here.

http://www.geocities.com/usmcast/JHHcontrolroom.jpg

The second is the famous image used to advertise the premiere of the show. Kermit's having a good time, and Jim's having a good time. But admittedly, all the characters bursting out of the TV screen are kinda creepy. (For the unitiated, Digit's the one in the middle.)

http://www.geocities.com/usmcast/henson_jhh.jpg

At any rate, either of these pictures are better than the one on the site. That's not a criticism of Jamie's work; he just had to find a picture of him where he's facing forward, and I think he even had to fix the shading on him so he looked like he was standing in the room. All the little modifications add up to an unintentionally creepy effect.

And yeah you're right, I probably just wasn't studying the scene as well as I should've been. I am going again in like May, so I shall DEFINITELY keep an eye out for the spooky one. :big_grin:

-Matt
The Spooky One! LOL!! I think our favorite obscure Muppet just got a new nickname. :wink:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
The Spooky One! LOL!! I think our favorite obscure Muppet just got a new nickname. :wink:
That pig from the NBC movie?