The Twiddlebugs' Smoke Detector

Drtooth

Reaction score
When there's smoke, they pinch back!

Couldn't resist!

But I don't think I even have seen that one. Seems like a very rare one. Wish they posted it on Youtube, though...

wiley207

Reaction score
Pretty irritating smoke detector sound. I thought real ones were much more higher-pitched? And usually they go BEEBEEBEEBEEBEEBEEBEEBEEBEEP! or, if it's post-1996, they sound in Code-3, like many modern fire alarms do. I remember Hooper's store had a pretty realistic-sounding smoke detector (in the 2002 episode about the Hooper's Store fire).

But I LOVE it when Tommy Twiddlebug thinks the smoke detector is a radio and says "Listen to that groovy sound!" in his high pitched voice.

Anyone else notice the Twiddlebugs' mouths in this one? Usually they are red with a pink tongue, or they are completely black (usually used in Chroma-key sequences), but here the mouths are black with pink tongues added! I'm guessing this one is from the late 1980s.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It obviously is from the late 1980s (judging by the Ernie puppet, plus the fact that Hulu claims it is from season 18). I wonder how many more Twiddlebugs sketches are from the 1980s... I usually think of them as 1970s characters, though I know that the "Using the Door" sketch is also from the 1980s (that was one of the 1980s clips nominated in that 40th anniversary "Greatest Sesame Street Clips" poll back in october and november), and of course Get Along is from season 20.