The Typewriter Man

mikealan

Reaction score
Do every of you guys remember that talking typewriter character on wheels that sings "NOO-Nee-NOO-Nee-NOO"?

He appeared on twenty-six letter cartoons and has eyes of Marvin Martian (do you recall that?)...

When I was a little kid, I watched almost every skit except I-Ink, K-Key, O-Owl and P-Pencil.

The only typewriter sketch that scared me was the "U" one for umbrella. It starts where it begins to rain, so the noo-nee-noo typewriter opens up the umbrella to keep himself dry. As the rain stops, he closes the umbrella and suddenly GETS HIMSELF STUCK!!! After a short struggle, the part that scared me the most is that the typewriter pops out his wheels moving so slow going "Nooney, nooney, noo..."

When I got to go to Noggin's Best Choice Awards at noggin.com, there are small pics of the typewriter guy: n-nose, but noggin calls this clip "Machine N-Nose". Then when I go to the Sesame Street Lyric Archive, there are a couple of pics of the cartoon typewriter which they're on the lyric page that has all 26 skits. This only showed the pics of B-Ball, H-Hand, K-Key and N-Nose. (There are three of these skits I remembered except K-Key)

Now, when I get to go to the Sesame Street Unpaved Pictures on TOONARAFIC.COM, I found the "R" one for rope! How exciting!

Do you guys remember him? Just let me know!

Billy's Girl

Reaction score
I remember him!! - I used to worry that he was going to get hurt at the end of his skits when stuff that he had typed came back to haunt him.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Here are the ones that stick in my mind
C: Cat. (encounters a lion, and quickly types "little cat"!! and the cat shrinks)
V: Vacuum.
Z: Zoo. (encounters a large bird in a cage, and the bird honks at him and scares him away :big_grin: LOL)

Here's an interesting bit of trivia: that typewriter character was imitated in one episode of South Park. Which one?
Whoever emails me with the correct answer (first come first serve) wins a tape of Fraggle Rock episodes of choice from my inventory. :big_grin: Then you'll call yourself a true fan.

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
I remember the South Park that parodied the typewriter guy!

It was an episode where the gang does a pageant on Jesus. They crucify Cartman (literally) and leave him there for three days. Cartman, of course, is screaming to be let down. Late at night, Officer Barbrady walks by, sees the giant cross Cartman was put on, and yelled "T! T is for turtle!" then "noo-nee-noo-nee-noo"'s his way down the street.

ssetta

Reaction score
Well, I can tell you some things. I think I have seen pretty much all of them except "i-ink" and "o-owl."

The reason why Noggin called it "Machine: n-nose (lowercase)" or whatever is because that's actually what they were originally called.

And I remember that exact South Park episode! Have any other shows ever parodied Sesame Street?

Also, in case you didn't notice, they first started in approx. 1974, and used them up until the season before last (Season 32). First of all, as you know, they really don't like the old stuff too much anymore. Also, it's kind of outdated. If you didn't notice, they are doing a lot of stuff about computers nowadays. Because when these were first done back in 1974, the typewriter was the state of the art. And the kids of today don't even know what a typewriter is. So when they saw those bits, they would just have no idea what that funny-lookin' thing was. They do still use the pinball number segments occasionally, because pinball machines are still very popular. But the typewriter is something else.

mikealan

Reaction score
The Typewriter Man debuts on early SS and now gone on new SS

Guys, I think you're right that the Typewriter Guy cartoons debuted in 1974 until they won't shown again in 2001. The J-Jump skit was on episode #3968!

Y'know, The Typewriter Guy was now a now-gone SS character.

I remembered so many Muppet and Sesame Street characters that are now gone are:

SESAME STREET: Sam the Robot, Roosevelt Franklin, Herbert Birdsfoot, Granny Fanny Nessellrode, Little Bird, Sherlock Hemlock, Guy Smiley, The Amazing Mumford, Don Music, Biff and Sully, Harvey Kneeslapper, Farley, Lefty the Salesman, Professor Hastings, Prince Charming, Gladys the Cow, Simon the Soundman and especially Bruno the Trashman, a huge Muppet, who carries Oscar's can

THE MUPPETS: Scooter, Wayne & Wanda, Uncle Deadly, Mahna Mahna, Thog, Timmy Monster, Doglion Beast, and, uh, I think that Koozebanians, Frackles, monsters, dogs, frogs, pigs, bears and a couple of others are gone, too.

I'm sorry that these Muppets are now gone, but I still love new Muppets like Elmo, Telly, Zoe, Rosita and Baby Bear!

Drtooth

Reaction score
FYI, Mumford is back in a big way! He has appeared in a few street segments (one to fix the broken squeaker of Rubber Duckie) and once on a letter of the day segment.

Scooter will be back for the Muppet Christmas special on NBC.

I loved the Typewriter guy, and I used to go around going Noo Nee Noo Nee Noo like him.

Unfortunately that was yesterday....

mikealan

Reaction score
When I watched my first family tape yesterday, it showed clips of Sesame Street my mom and dad taped. It showed one of The Typewriter Man skits were the "M" one for "Magic".

It starts where the typewriter rolls by going "Nooney, nooney, nooney..." then he types and says, "M, magic!" Then, I think he transforms a rabbit into a strange and purple scorpion-like creature. Afterwards, he disappears himself as we hear him giggling!

nickcoffee12

Reaction score
typewriter

yes i like him as well and he came back on the specal the street we live on sesason 35 and the letter of the day was c

:smile: :excited: :big_grin: :wink:

matthewxel

Reaction score
I really don't recall, A-airplane, I-ink, M-magic, and T-train.

But I defenitly remember B-ball when the typewriter guy comes across a small yellow ball and then later comes this huge blue ball that he gets stuck in and pops right out of it;K-key when he unlocks a door with a key, and behind the door is just a pair of these spooky green eyes of some monster that roars and scares the typewrither guy away;P-pencil when nothing happens at all when the typewriter guy tries to type the letter P on himself, so he gets out a pencil and writes, "P-pencil" on the piece of paper(but first he needs to sharpen the pencil on the sharpener on his back)but at the end he pops one of his wheels;
S-spring when a spring pops out of the typewriter guy, but at the end he boings along with it;V-vacuum is when some vacuum cleaner is turned on, and it starts sucking up the typewriter guy's papers when he's trying to type, but soon he gets sucked up in the vacuum itself;Y-yo-yo is when the typewriter guy is playing with a toy yo-yo, but then the yo-yo gets stuck at the top of the TV screen. :big_grin: