"The Unseen Work of Jim Henson" at MTR in New York

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that we are excitedly a few days away from the Museum of Television and Radio's seminar, "Muppet Rarities: The Unseen Work of Jim Henson", let us know your anticipation and feedback from the event.

If you have questions about the seminar or need directions, check out this article from Melissa Yowhan.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2003/100103.shtml

If you are going, be sure to post here so that everyone can be on the lookout for each other!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think this has already been mentioned by others elsewhere in the forum, but the main theatre for this event has been sold out. There are still tickets available for the closed circuit room, where you can watch a live video feed of the event in another theatre at the museum. Tickets for the closed circuit room are supposedly $5 so it's very affordable for anyone in the NYC area.

turlem

Reaction score
I wish I knew about this sooner. Is there any plans to release DVDs of anything from this?

What was Our Place? Rowlf is my favorite Muppet, so I must know!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Wow! Well I will be putting together a full editorial on this overnight, but it was great. They screened a lot of rare Muppet gems. It was a real treat. Jerry Nelson even mentioned Muppet Central (and Tough Pigs) when the audience cheered for MuppetFest.

Who else actually went?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
turlem said:
I wish I knew about this sooner. Is there any plans to release DVDs of anything from this? What was Our Place? Rowlf is my favorite Muppet, so I must know!
I doubt there will be a DVD, but it's possible that a tape of the presentation will be added to the Museum's collection - it was mentioned that they have tapes of past events that Jim himself participated in on file. Some of the recently uncovered film was donated to the Museum tonight.

"Our Place" was a summer replacement series broadcast in the late 60s while the Smothers Brothers show was on hiatius. Rowlf (and other Muppets) apparently appeared on it in much the same capacity as he did on the Jimmy Dean show, hosting and participating in various segments.

Ryan

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I doubt there will be a DVD, but it's possible that a tape of the presentation will be added to the Museum's collection - it was mentioned that they have tapes of past events that Jim himself participated in on file. Some of the recently uncovered film was donated to the Museum tonight.

"Our Place" was a summer replacement series broadcast in the late 60s while the Smothers Brothers show was on hiatius. Rowlf (and other Muppets) apparently appeared on it in much the same capacity as he did on the Jimmy Dean show, hosting and participating in various segments.
Why didn't you say hi? A portion of The Tough Pigs crew was about 6 or 7 rows up in the middle row. Where did you sit? BTW, for an almost complete list of what they showed, check my post at the TP Forum.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Ryan said:
Why didn't you say hi? A portion of The Tough Pigs crew was about 6 or 7 rows up in the middle row. Where did you sit? BTW, for an almost complete list of what they showed, check my post at the TP Forum.
Sorry! I was trying to figure out who was with TP...the only person I'd recognize in person is Danny (was he there? I didn't see him?) I got in late (about a minute before it started) and was sitting in the middle row, three or four rows from the back.

Only people I recognized in the crowd - aside from the panel - were Henson folks like Heather Henson, Joey M. and one of the Broadway puppeteers from "Little Shop" who I saw in the closed circuit line as I was coming in to the Museum. I can't recall his name off hand (it wasn't Marty or Matt Vogel though).

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Bill Remington, that was the guy! Bill Remington was in the closed circuit line I think (sorry, I was drawing a blank for a minute there). I didn't actually speak with him, but I recognized his face and he was wearing a "Team Twooey" ball cap from Little Shop.

Squigiman

Reaction score
Hey,
I got to go, and it was absolutely great. Lots of cool clips, though I missed the first 15-20 minutes. Still, the panel was after, and all went well. Jerry even mentioned Muppet Central at one point, and I gave a shout of excitement. Also met Danny of Tough Pigs, and Smig and some others (though I didn't realize it was Smig at the time). We ended up going to Friday's after, and it was really nice. That's all for now. Take care.

-Squigiman

Lunatic Daring

Reaction score
Hey all,

It has been ages since I have had a chance to post, but I was there and wanted to a-tell those who weren't there a bit about it and b-I know that the well educated Muppet Central folk could probably answer some questions I have...

It was indeed awesome, great footage, I am sure everything shown has already been posted somewhere here, so I wont go into it, but I especially loved the feather that got sucked up accidentally by the fan, and Rowlf cracking Mike Douglas up while he was singing!

Here's my questions....does anyone know why John Henson was in a neck brace? And is it just me, but at Muppet Fest, and again on Wed, I notice when Jane speaks about the empire that she seems...er...bitter which makes me wonder why she appears at these things? I find it also odd that she kept refering to the children as 'Jim's heirs' or Jim's kids...they are hers too...maybe I am just too analytical but it seemed...awkward to me.

And last, this is just opinion....but I was really disappointed that the panel didn't get to speak more, I wish the moderator just asked them all to speak freely about the footage so we could glean any and all insight, but I truly enjoyed the evening and feel very lucky to have been there!