The VHS Thread

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
AC/DC wrote an iron man song? :confused:
i think he meant black sabbath with Ozzy Osbourne

But you also need to be watching a hi def channel or movie for you to notice anything different I believe
i think this is the part that confuses people i remember a whole study in college about this, but yes if you watching a "normal" channel you really arnt going to notice it will be clearer but not stand out so much you jump from your seat, as opposed as if your watching a true HD channel or dvd

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh, I just rented an old VHS of E.T. from the library, just before the movie started th screen said to stay tuned for some "Added Value Footage" following the feature presentation. I just thought that was funny, I rarely hear that phrase anymore, it's always "Special Features" now, lol.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, does anyone remember this? Turns out that VHS of E.T. included a 1980's commercial for the Special Olympics, in which a little boy gets help from our favorite little alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyWijMbE9E

Really represents a time when E.T. was literally everywhere. If kids today think Avatar was big...heh. :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, does anyone remember this? Turns out that VHS of E.T. included a 1980's commercial for the Special Olympics, in which a little boy gets help from our favorite little alien:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyWijMbE9E

Really represents a time when E.T. was literally everywhere. If kids today think Avatar was big...heh. :wink:
Avatar probably would have been bigger if the toys didn't suck. :big_grin: Really, the Happy Meal ones looked higher quality.

I actually have an unopened ET VHS somewhere... dunno if it's that old copy (VHS that came out that early were well over 30 bucks at one point)... I just wish that Spielberg would agree to concessions and have the original movie unedited on a DVD... even if it's not anthropomorphic whatever widescreen... the swearing at the breakfast table seen needs to be preserved for future generations!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I actually have an unopened ET VHS somewhere... dunno if it's that old copy (VHS that came out that early were well over 30 bucks at one point)... I just wish that Spielberg would agree to concessions and have the original movie unedited on a DVD... even if it's not anthropomorphic whatever widescreen... the swearing at the breakfast table seen needs to be preserved for future generations!
Does the VHS cover advertise behind the scenes interviews after the movie? Does it list the year anywhere?

The interviews and behind the scenes footage in mine were incredible, very touching. The only bad part was having to listen to Spielberg try to justify digitizing E.T. Grrrr..... :attitude:

I'm glad I still have my old E.T. VHS from 1988. There's no Special Features, but on the other hand there's no CGI E.T.! :halo:

Also kinda cool the 1988 VHS tape has green highlights, like on the tape gears and the top flap. It reminds me of the old Care Bear VHS's that were completely blue or yellow, lol.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll take all the walky talkies, the CGI ET and even all the stuff George Lucas THOUGHT he had to add onto the trilogy before I let "PXXXXX Breath" go.

But I dunno about the tape... I said "somewhere" and somewhere could be anywhere with me... I wonder if my parents till have it. Maybe they opened it... I dunno what's going on with it. But it indeed had the green VHS top cover thing. That's all I remember.

Though, when it comes to DVD's of movies, usually I'll just watch all the special features before I even bother getting around to the movie... I've got the Incredibles on DVD and I don't think I've ever watched the movie without commentary yet... I definitely watched everything on the second disk multiple times... but that's BTS footage I'll ALWAYS watch... how a cartoon is made.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Wasn't there a 3-disc edition of E.T. that featured the original version of the movie?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'll take all the walky talkies, the CGI ET and even all the stuff George Lucas THOUGHT he had to add onto the trilogy before I let "PXXXXX Breath" go.
Lol, oh yes, that line. My 1988 VHS does have that line. But for some reason it never occured to me that's what he was saying until years later, lol. :embarrassed:

Though, when it comes to DVD's of movies, usually I'll just watch all the special features before I even bother getting around to the movie...
Yeah me too! Funny how in the old days we got along fine without Special Features, but now today I don't even want to buy a DVD if it doesn't have any, lol.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I dont like that article -_-

Their reasoning behind getting rid of stuff is ridiculous. They say people dont care about video and photo quality? Yes they do. Youtube members will tear you to shreds if your video isnt good quality.

Smartphones are much more expensive data wise than what they are implying. Get rid of your GPS? Heck, our GPS cost less for a one time fee than what we would be paying with a smartphone for unlimited data. Which, I'd assume you would need an unlimited data plan.

Using your cell phone to do anything eats up more battery than it should.

Dropbox is unreliable. I've tried using it, and half the time I cant find what I'm looking for, you need to invite people to use it and half the time they still cant access it. A flash drive is so much simpler. Plug and go.

Desktops are sometimes better than laptops. And they are sure as heck cheaper compared to a laptop with the same specs.

The person who wrote that article is an idiot and must be married to their cell phone if they think it can replace everything

But since this is going off topic, I'll stop