The Videogame Thread

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I don't have G4 but I want it. Anyway I have not heard abut the Donkey Kong controversy before. :search:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
G4 is a television channel dedicated to video games, my cousins had it and I was so jealous, but they have a different cable system than we do.

karamazov80

Reaction score
whats G4? what DK controvery?
G4 is a cable/satellite channel that supposedly is based around videogames. HOWEVER, I recently had access to it, and it was mostly cruddy Japanese game shows, episodes of COPS (yes, that COPS), and one of the least funny "funny" news shows I've ever seen called "Attack of the Show," where they just seem to show dumb youtube videos and make jokes with one another that aren't very funny :smile:

Actually, I had G4 in 2002 for awhile, and back then, it actually was a channel devoted pretty exclusively to video games.

I don't want to spoil the DK issue, but it is about the Donkey Kong world record, a guy that held the record for 20-some-odd years, and a lovable loser challenger, who is the protagonist in the documentary. Believe it or not, it is a very riveting film, with a lot of conflict and drama, etc.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh yeah! I think I've heard of this now! And I have en the film before, Heh! I haven't sen it in a while but I thought you wee referring to something to do with the game itself.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The DK controversy wouldn't have anything to do with a certain copyright infringement case, would it? I know all about that one.

Redsonga

Reaction score
The DK controversy wouldn't have anything to do with a certain copyright infringement case, would it? I know all about that one.
I thought it was about one of the guys thought to be cheating at the Donkey Kong world record contest and he had to do it again to show that he actually didn't cheat :smile:...

fleecenotfelt

Reaction score
i totally saw this doc on g4 as well-- insanely interesting! about the world of competitive arcade gaming esp. for donkey kong. there was a newcomer who had to prove his high scores in person (rather than via videotape) to the dk playing community b/c he was trying to dethrone the current champ. i like it b/c it runs the parallel btwn the newcomer and billy (the current champion.)and shows the competition from each point of view.(
it's really amazing how seriously those guys take gaming considering the 2 main guys had dayjobs and families to take care of. also it's kind of hilarious that billy (the reigning champion) walks around with such insane swagger.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Well would you look at that, I just checked my tv guide and I get G4. Huh...yeah, some japanese show is on right now :smirk: