1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

The Wander over Yonder Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr3urious, Sep 2, 2015.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

The wording was confusing. Did he mean a year and three months for a whole season, or just one episode?

2. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

Well, he did say one 11-minute cartoon. If I'm not mistaken, there's a chart showing that one group (e.g. Writers) focuses on one episode while other groups provide material for other episodes. So let's say you're a background artist. You'll probably spend at least one week creating backgrounds for one episode just before moving on to the next episode.

3. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

This here map shows a great big number of fans who want to "saveWOY." The show is surprisingly popular in Europe. The blank spaces you see probably have no television or Internet access.

https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/SaveWOY_Petition_V2/S9qbMCKcUL

By the way, if you go to Wander Over Yonder, Vol. 4 on iTunes and check out Ratings and Reviews, you'll find my review titled, 'We still have room for more!'

4. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

Tomorrow, it will have been three months since the second season finale aired. And get this: Wander Over Yonder was one of the most trended topics on Tumblr on July 27th and August 27th. We'll probably expect big, big things from Tumblr users when the time comes. After September, the folks running the SaveWOY campaign will expand beyond Tumblr in order to spread more awareness.

Ooh, and I should mention that reruns of the show return starting October 3rd. That ought to give viewers old and new a chance to boost viewership. The greater the interest, the better. If they ever get a third season, I'd like to see the actual series finale end the same way Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends ended: with a "Thanks for Watching" message.

By the way, after recently watching The Sick Day on my iTunes program, it occurred to me that I had a small flaw in my list of voices and characters - the Intergalactic Guru sounded more like Tom Kenny. There may be a wiki on the show, but I'm only focused on episode pages where I find voice cast information.

5. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

That's awesome! And even if the show doesn't get revived, i'd still be very happy if more people discovered it in reruns. I think that's what was so sad to me about the cancellation: not so much the fact that it ended after only 2 seasons without a proper ending, but the fact that so few people knew about the show. It deserved more attention than it got. Although, like I said in the thread before, I blame a lot of this on the channel switch.

6. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

Oops. It would appear I got the date wrong.

[​IMG]

Anyone with a DVR can just set the show to be recorded.

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Back when Phineas and Ferb came out, I was extremely happy the show was merchandised as aggressively as a Disney Afternoon show in the 90's would. The show had a slow start, but it became popular and Phineas and Ferb toys were all over store shelves, especially in The Disney Stores, something virtually unheard of unless it's a preschool show.

Wander, Star, and Penn Zero, however, not so much as a T-Shirt. And Gravity Falls, which had a toy line only saw spotty releases making them impossible to find. I'm sure if there were Wander plushies and toys (it's not like he's ugly and unmarketable) the show would have been more popular. Also, the whole bit about XD being an inaccessible network because Disney wasn't firm enough with the telecom conglomerates to give it a basic cable package counterpoint to the tween girl-centric Disney Channel.

8. Pig's Laundry

Frankly, I almost wish Disney XD would just replace Disney Channel all together. DXD's shows are so much better and it's not like Disney Channel's shows are even all that popular anymore. Or maybe they could merge the two channels together.

9. Drtooth

I like XD in theory. It's just the fact you have to spend extra money just to get it that ticks me off. It made failures of most of its shows that aren't Marvel or Disney produced. The most popular anime character in the world had a short 2 season run and quickly disappeared even though VIZ totally could have just moved the show to Netflix and kept it going a little more. Even the Yokai Watch company said "yeah...put season 1 on Netflix so we can actually be popular."

Disney's tween line up shows are just...as much as I can get annoyed by most of Nick's shows for being obnoxious and being forced on the audience, Disney on the other hand is full of bland, forgettable tripe with interchangeable cast members. Heck, they even have a complete knockoff of Nick's Game Shakers, but with internet viral videos (or what an out of touch 50 year old TV exec thinks that internal netting thing is). But the thing is, they do show XD shows on Disney, but only once a week at like 10 PM, and now they mostly air that awful prank show. A show that's actually been transported to Disney because live action.

10. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the reruns were a false alarm.

http://kureisan28.tumblr.com/post/151061374780/false-alarm-no-reruns-for-wander-over-yonder

How much deeper could Disney possibly cut us fans of shows with better animation and timing? Don't people in the targeted demographic know good high-quality entertainment when they see it? I guess it's become abundantly clear that if we want the show to be renewed, we should spread awareness to children and families. I would try to introduce my family to it, but some members aren't exactly animation enthusiasts. I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression the first time they watch it.

Until then, let's keep sending letters. There's an upcoming mailing campaign in October if you're interested.

http://peepsqueak.tumblr.com/post/151071277452/theres-still-hope-and-a-new-mailing-campaign

11. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

Wouldn't you know? Wander has trended well on Tumblr on September 27th. I even downloaded and viewed all the episodes on iTunes just in time. Also, the petition has now reached 36,670. Surely, some of you believe that Disney are receptive to the fans' positive feedback. I mean, check out some of the comments Peepsqueak found and uploaded:
    http://peepsqueak.tumblr.com/post/151252467757/everybody-please-help-us-to-savewoy

You'd be foolish to think there's no hope. We can't just sit back and do nothing to help out. It took nine months for Kim Possible to be renewed after initial cancellation. If it takes longer to give the show one more season, so be it!

Still, it doesn't make sense that Craig McCracken has to develop another show without finishing WOY first. Dan Povenmire and Jeff Marsh got to finish Phineas and Ferb on their own terms before getting started on Milo Murphy's Law, and Noah Jones got Fish Hooks out of the way with a definite ending before coming up with Pickle and Peanut. Yet there's nothing from Disney that can compare to the animation style of Wander Over Yonder.

Sometimes I wonder if the creators at Disney TV Animation are competing to see who can keep their shows running and give them proper closure. Part of me wants to convince other creators to support Craig. It's kind of unfair to let his first Disney show trip before the finish line, you know? This is why we have fans.

In case you haven't done so already, go ahead and sign the petition. And feel free to get others to do the same.
    https://www.change.org/p/walt-disney-encourage-disney-to-make-wander-over-yonder-season-3

12. Drtooth

Seeing as how Star vs The Forces of Evil got a comic book, I'd love for Wander to pull an Invader Zim and at least finish the series concepts in comic book form. That's the least they could do.

Wander most definitely should have had a third season, and it seems that it
    s a case of wanting more shows instead of finishing off the ones they have. Though, to be honest, the Wander Staff really should have seen the writing on the walls. Gravity Falls's staff at least had the foresight to end the show with 2 seasons, as it sounds the case for Penn Zero. Still...I don't see why they have to have so many cartoons into production of they step on each other's feet.

13. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

14. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

It's been four months after the airing of the second season finale and you know what that means - Trending Twenty-Seven will be in effect.

And Peepsqueak's message to Disney XD should be enough to convince you forum folks out there that we still have a chance. Also, in case you haven't checked out her Thunderclap page, check out the status - it's amazing.

37,325 petition supporters and counting. This will be a day every fan of Wander Over Yonder will never forget.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that a couple of Disney XD shows did go beyond 80 episodes in the past - Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja (99 episodes in 50 half-hours) and Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil (103 in 52 half-hours).

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  15. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

I think I should rescind my statement about Hater having yet to know about Tumbleweed and Wander being one and the same - it was implied at the very end of The Good Bad Guy, yet I never would have guessed that until The Waste of Time.

So, the petition's now over 37,900, and I bring good news (for real): The Gift 2: The Giftening and The Gift are set to air on December 6th! Follow the link and check Disney XD's row: http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?fromTimeInMillis=1481068800000

They're also including the Christmas episode of Penn Zero: Part-Time Hero. If they so much as decide to switch them out with something else (like reruns of shows that already ended on a high note), I wouldn't even know what to think/do.

Now, if there were any reasons for a show to get canceled, they would include:
    • Deceased (major) actor
    • (Major) Actor calling it quits
      • One or both of these occurrences would call for replacement
    • Any member of the crew having a feeling of discontent towards working on the show
    • Decline in quality
    • Running out of ideas
    And we know dang well none of these happened. If only executives would believe that shows are successful based on how much people love them rather than how well they perform. There's no sense in stopping the show if it hasn't jumped the proverbial shark.

I did find that there are children who do enjoy the show, yet we still have to keep spreading awareness. I'll try to contribute to the SaveWOY campaign in some way and make sure the show gets proper closure. I know it might not be worth your time, but it's the right thing to do and I stand by it. The campaign's only a lost cause IF the last fan gives up.

Pig's Laundry and mr3urious like this.
  16. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

Once again, Wander Over Yonder has achieved trending status on Tumblr. In related news, the show's been nominated for three Annie Award categories:
    • Best Animated Television/Broadcast Production For Children: My Fair Hatey
    • Outstanding Achievement, Character Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: The Night Out
    • Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production: My Fair Hatey
    Interestingly, neither Pickle and Peanut nor Star vs. the Forces of Evil were nominated, yet they were already given a second season and a third season, respectively. I'll bet Disney executives feel like they forced an overachieving teenager to drop out of high school. Whoa. Best... analogy... I've ever made.

mr3urious and Pig's Laundry like this.
  17. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Star Vs. certainly deserves the nom as well. P&P can go disperse like the giant fart it is, for all I care.

18. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

About that water art: you can thank Kyra Kupetsky and "alicia-Ivn" for making it possible. Leanne Bernhardy ("wanderin-over-yonder") was able to record the video. Take a look-see.

And I saw somewhere on her Tumblr post that kids DID recognize Wander. Even Craig had this to say about it:

"Though he is destined to fade and disappear, Wander finally makes it inside Disneyland!"

He's referring to the water art on the pavement, not the cartoon.

Yes, folks, we'll never stop until we actually witness the main characters' origins, the new threats whose actions make them much worse than Dominator, and Wander achieving his goal in reforming Hater.

19. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

Sometime in this quarter of the year, Craig's due for a pitch of his fourth cartoon (second cartoon for Disney). I'm a little sore that Craig has to keep his ideas for the third season under his proverbial hat, but it's become abundantly clear that moving the show to Disney XD wasn't such a good idea. And the way the number of viewers for certain shows is calculated really baffles me. No offense to fans of higher-rated shows like P&F, GF and SvtFoE, but I fail to see how shows with more emphasis on dialogue and less on funny visuals (although SvtFoE has some moments that make me go, "Get to the point") fare better than visually AND audibly pleasing shows do. My Fair Hatey totally should have had more views, what with the catchy songs that really move the story along. It even had a super sweet saxophone solo for crying out loud. My point being, all good shows should be treated equally.

Enough of the rambling.

I'm quite all right with Craig developing a new show. If we're lucky, the show will be successful enough to garner interest in a third/final season for Wander. Besides, the original PPG had no official series finale before Foster's debuted.

20. Pig's Laundry

I highly doubt it. If anything, having a new show will more than likely lessen the chances of Wander ever returning because Craig'll be too busy.