The Way Things Were - SST FanFic

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ok, so I took a little break after finished my Rowlf series last week. I've had an idea for an SS fic for awhile, so I thought I'd get words down on paper before I lost it. I have here the prologue and chapter one. It will be a shorter story than some, I'll update as much as I can. Enjoy.

Prologue:

Sunny days, sweeping the clouds away, on my way to where the air is sweet! Oh! Hi ho there! Kermit the Frog here. I’m going to visit my favorite place in the entire world, aside from my swamp. It’s a happy kind of place that I’m sure you’ve probably heard of. You know that famous street that has a big yellow bird, a green scruffy grouch, a duo that is like the odd couple, a red exuberant monster, and a blue furry monster that likes to eat cookies. Yes, I’m talking about Sesame Street. I used to live there, but I don’t anymore. I still go back and visit as much as I can though! I’m so excited to visit this time, now that everything is back to normal. Oh! You don’t know about what happened do you? A couple of months ago something happened that nearly changed Sesame Street forever! It turned everything upside down. You know what? I’ve got a long walk to get there; I’ll tell you all about it on the way. Come with me!

Chapter One:

As I was saying, it all started a few months ago. It was a normal day on Sesame Street just like any other day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and everyone was out and about on the street celebrating the arrival of summer. Big Bird and Snuffy were walking down the street.

“La la la la, it sure is a beautiful day! I just love summer, don’t you Snuffy?” asked Big Bird.

“I sure do Bird!” answered Snuffy.

“You know what would make this day complete?” asked Big Bird.

“What’s that?” asked Snuffy.

“Getting a whole bunch of our friends together and playing a big game of kickball!” exclaimed Big Bird.

“Sounds great Bird! Let’s go round some people up!” said Snuffy.

They found a few kids who were excited to join them, along with Elmo, Zoe and Grover. They decided to meet in the courtyard in a half hour.

Gordon came down the stairs of 123.

“Hi Big Bird, Hi Snuffy. What are you two up to today?” asked Gordon.

“We’re getting a huge group of friends together to play kickball!” exclaimed Big Bird.

“Well that sounds like fun. You going to play over in the courtyard?” asked Gordon.

“Yep! There’s lots of room there!” said Big Bird.

“Well you guys have fun! Just be careful, you know the courtyard is very close to the street,” said Gordon.

“We will,” said Snuffy.

Gordon smiled and went on his way.

“Hey Big Bird, do you think Oscar would want to play?” asked Snuffy.

“Oh, I don’t know, let’s ask him!” said Big Bird. He banged on the lid of Oscar’s trash can.

“What do you want?” burst out Oscar as he opened up the lid and poked his head out.

“Hi Oscar!” said Big Bird cheerfully.

“Oh it’s the turkey and the pacaderm. What do you want? I’m very busy,” said Oscar.

“Well, we just wanted to know if you’d like to play kickball with us over in the courtyard,” said Big Bird.

“You want to know if I want to what?” asked Oscar angrily.

“Play kickball with us, like Bird said,” answered Snuffy.

“I heard you the first time! I only asked because it is the most ridiculous thing you could ever ask me! What makes you think that I would want to play with a bunch of people who smile too much and have fun?” grumbled Oscar.

“Um, because we thought you might want to,” said Big Bird.

“Well I don’t! It just so happens that I am leaving on vacation in just a little while. I have to finish packing and then I’m getting out here for a few days,” said Oscar.

“Oh, is there anything we can do to help you?” asked Snuffy.

“Yes there is. GET LOST!” yelled Oscar and slammed the lid of can closed.

“Oh well, it was nice of us to ask,” said Big Bird.

“Yes it was, we can play with Oscar another time,” said Snuffy.

They continued walking towards the courtyard. They recruited Ernie, Bert, Abby Cadabby, some more kids and the Count, who said he wanted to just watch the game and count the strikes and home runs.

They were just walking into the courtyard when Cookie Monster came out of Hooper’s Store. A pretty good sized crowd had gathered at the courtyard.

“What going on here?” asked Cookie Monster as he approached the group.

“We’re playing kickball! Want to join us?” asked Big Bird.

“Ok! That sound like big fun!” said Cookie Monster.

“Gee, um, Big Bird? There’s kind of a lot of us here, are you sure the courtyard is big enough? Maybe we should go to the park,” said Bert.

“Oh, it will be fine. Gordon said to just be careful by the street,” said Big Bird.

“Yeah, stop worrying Bert, we’ll be fine!” said Ernie.

“Elmo wants to be on Zoe’s team!” said Elmo.

“Oh, we need captains! Let’s see, Snuff, you want to split up? You could be captain and I could be captain since it was our idea,” said Big Bird.

“Fine with me,” said Snuffy.

They started to pick their teams.

Meanwhile, Maria and Gabi came down the steps of 123 with two large garbage bags.

“I’m so glad we finally cleaned out the fridge mom. Won’t Papi be surprised when he gets home?” asked Gabi.

“I know, we’ve needed to do it for awhile. Hopefully Oscar will appreciate all of this rotten food,” said Maria. She walked up to Oscar’s can and banged on the lid.

“Can’t you people just leave me alone?” burst out Oscar when he popped up again.

“Sorry Oscar, we just wanted to give you some garbage,” said Maria.

“Excuse us for thinking of you,” said Gabi.

“Oh hey Skinny and Skinny Jr. I thought you’d be the Bird and his friend again,” said Oscar.

“Big Bird and Snuffy? What’s up with them?” asked Maria.

“Well, for your information, I’m down here trying to get ready for my vacation and they came here bugging me about kickball causing me delay in leaving for my trip! And now you’re doing the same thing by asking me questions, so please just leave me alone!” yelled Oscar.

“Ok, we will. Where are you going though?” asked Gabi.

“I’m going to a family reunion all right? Don’t let that get around though, I have my reputation to uphold. Now would you please get lost? I have to go!” said Oscar.

Maria and Gabi laughed a little to themselves and headed over to Hooper’s for some ice cream.

Oscar began to load up his Sloppy Jalopy so he could get going.

Back at the game, Big Bird’s team was up to kick and Snuffy’s team was in the field. Alan was watching the game through the window of Hooper’s Store. Maria and Gabi came inside.

“Hey Alan, what are you watching?” asked Maria.

“The kids are out there playing some kickball. They’re having a good time. I’m a little concerned with how close they’re getting to the street though,” said Alan.

“Maybe we can convince them to move to the park when we finish our ice cream,” said Gabi.

“Good idea,” said Maria.

“Hey guys? Be careful out there!” yelled Alan.

“Ok Alan!” responded Big Bird. He turned to Ernie.

“It’s your turn Ernie!” he said.

“Ok! I’m going to kick a home run!” exclaimed Ernie.

Down the street Oscar climbed into the Sloppy Jalopy and started it up. It shuttered a bit because of the fact that he hardly ever drove it.

“Come on car, let’s go,” said Oscar pushing down on the gas but not getting it to do anything.

Snuffy rolled the ball with his trunk and Ernie kicked it really hard up into the air.

“Oh no!” yelled Snuffy.

“Me got it!” responded Cookie who was in the outfield.

Inside Hooper’s Store Alan had turned his back to serve Maria and Gabi their ice cream so he did not see what happened next. Even if he had, he probably would not have been able to stop what did happen.

Cookie Monster continued to back up as the ball sailed further through the sky. He backed up into the street.

“Me got it!” he yelled again and caught it. The only one who saw what was coming was Elmo who started yelling frantically.

“Cookie! Watch out!” yelled Elmo.

He was too late.

All of sudden Cookie Monster was knocked to the ground by Oscar’s out of control Sloppy Jalopy.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
... And just like noone saw what was coming, you didn't see this coming either Beth.

*Tackle glomps big cousin. What you do to me favorite furry friend? Oh please nice lady, let him be OK! Post more please, me beg you!

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Oh that Grouch,
he just can't get any grouchier. :big_grin: I loved how you portrayed their innocence so well. I worry for Cookie! D: Awww! Hope he is ok!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Oooh, what's this? Ooooh... Only one thing to do for this!

Prologue:

Sunny days, sweeping the clouds away, on my way to where the air is sweet! Oh! Hi ho there! Kermit the Frog here. I’m going to visit my favorite place in the entire world, aside from my swamp.
OH MY GOSH! Kermit! Prologue! Reminds me of KSY! ...In a GOOD way, by the way, for those of you who don't like that one... But anyway. HAPPY LISA!

Red said:
It’s a happy kind of place that I’m sure you’ve probably heard of.
Oh, it IS happy, Kermit, and I am SO glad it's you that's taking us there!

Boober said:
You know that famous street that has a big yellow bird, a green scruffy grouch, a duo that is like the odd couple, a red exuberant monster, and a blue furry monster that likes to eat cookies. Yes, I’m talking about Sesame Street. I used to live there, but I don’t anymore. I still go back and visit as much as I can though!
One, excellent character descriptions. Two, LOVE that Kermit goes to visit as much as he can!

Gurl said:
I’m so excited to visit this time, now that everything is back to normal.
Normal? What's that? Why has Sesame Street moved to the town where I'm going to college? ...Oh, hey, WAIT a second! Oh, that is WONDERFUL! :stick_out_tongue:

Girl of Red and Boober said:
Oh! You don’t know about what happened do you? A couple of months ago something happened that nearly changed Sesame Street forever! It turned everything upside down. You know what? I’ve got a long walk to get there; I’ll tell you all about it on the way. Come with me!
Oh, I'd be HAPPY to, Kermit! Hang on, let me change into better walking shoes...

A Dorm Resident said:
Chapter One:
Wait, wait, I'm still putting my socks on! ...Okay, and the shoes... tying this one... tying that one... Okay! I'm ready.

A fanfic writer said:
As I was saying, it all started a few months ago. It was a normal day on Sesame Street just like any other day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and everyone was out and about on the street celebrating the arrival of summer. Big Bird and Snuffy were walking down the street.
Now, I just adore this paragraph. You know why I adore this paragraph? Because it is a BEAUTIFUL transition from Kermit's prologue narrative to into your story-teller-voice. BEAUTIFUL.

A MopFam character said:
“La la la la, it sure is a beautiful day! I just love summer, don’t you Snuffy?” asked Big Bird.

“I sure do Bird!” answered Snuffy.
Oh, so do I!

A cat! said:
“You know what would make this day complete?” asked Big Bird.

“What’s that?” asked Snuffy.

“Getting a whole bunch of our friends together and playing a big game of kickball!” exclaimed Big Bird.
Oh now that I don't agree with. I tend to get hurt when playing kickball. I swear the ball is magnetically attracted to my head... Oh, but that's just me. This is Sesame Street!

Mother of three little kittens said:
“Sounds great Bird! Let’s go round some people up!” said Snuffy.

They found a few kids who were excited to join them, along with Elmo, Zoe and Grover. They decided to meet in the courtyard in a half hour.
Oh, now I'm all excited for the game! Here, I'll um... I'll stand on the sidelines and cheer for both teams! How's that? Then I won't get smacked in the head, right?

Meow... said:
Gordon came down the stairs of 123.
<Sings> If these steps could talk... I wonder what they'd say... <Ahem> Sorry. I like that sentence I just quoted up there. Can't quite figure out why, but I do. It's nice and simple and yet we can see it perfectly. Wonderful.

A really nice girl said:
“Hi Big Bird, Hi Snuffy. What are you two up to today?” asked Gordon.

“We’re getting a huge group of friends together to play kickball!” exclaimed Big Bird.

“Well that sounds like fun. You going to play over in the courtyard?” asked Gordon.

“Yep! There’s lots of room there!” said Big Bird.

“Well you guys have fun! Just be careful, you know the courtyard is very close to the street,” said Gordon.

“We will,” said Snuffy.
<Nods> Gordon is very much the father figure of the street. You worked that in very nicely. Well done.

A great writer! said:
Gordon smiled and went on his way.

“Hey Big Bird, do you think Oscar would want to play?” asked Snuffy.

“Oh, I don’t know, let’s ask him!” said Big Bird. He banged on the lid of Oscar’s trash can.
<Giggles> No matter how many times Oscar establishes his grouchiness, they'll always ask him to play. I love Sesame Street. <bouncy>

A CRAZY said:
“What do you want?” burst out Oscar as he opened up the lid and poked his head out.

“Hi Oscar!” said Big Bird cheerfully.

“Oh it’s the turkey and the pacaderm. What do you want? I’m very busy,” said Oscar.

“Well, we just wanted to know if you’d like to play kickball with us over in the courtyard,” said Big Bird.
The turkey and the pacaderm. I love Oscar's nicknames for everyone. And I love Big Bird's optimism. And I love Sesame Street. Did I mention that yet? I love Sesame Street.

One With Insanity said:
“You want to know if I want to what?” asked Oscar angrily.

“Play kickball with us, like Bird said,” answered Snuffy.

“I heard you the first time! I only asked because it is the most ridiculous thing you could ever ask me! What makes you think that I would want to play with a bunch of people who smile too much and have fun?” grumbled Oscar.
<Laughs!> Oh, that is SUCH an Oscar thing to do! LOVE IT!

An excellent Big Bird writer said:
“Um, because we thought you might want to,” said Big Bird.
I love Big Bird. He's so optimistic. And he's so perfectly in character, too! And so optimistic. I love Big Bird. <bouncy>

An excellent Oscar writer said:
“Well I don’t! It just so happens that I am leaving on vacation in just a little while. I have to finish packing and then I’m getting out here for a few days,” said Oscar.

“Oh, is there anything we can do to help you?” asked Snuffy.

“Yes there is. GET LOST!” yelled Oscar and slammed the lid of can closed.
Oh, well, have a gre- erm... Have a rotten vacation, Oscar! Love that Snuffy offers to help.

So said:
“Oh well, it was nice of us to ask,” said Big Bird.

“Yes it was, we can play with Oscar another time,” said Snuffy.
Only on Sesame Street would two people get so rudely turned down and then turn around and say, "Oh, it was nice of us to ask, we can play with him some other time..." I love Sesame Street!

An excellent Caroll Spinney writer! said:
They continued walking towards the courtyard. They recruited Ernie, Bert, Abby Cadabby, some more kids and the Count, who said he wanted to just watch the game and count the strikes and home runs.
VONDERFUL! I can vatch the game and count vith the Count!

Really said:
They were just walking into the courtyard when Cookie Monster came out of Hooper’s Store. A pretty good sized crowd had gathered at the courtyard.
HI COOKIE!

Ooh said:
“What going on here?” asked Cookie Monster as he approached the group.

“We’re playing kickball! Want to join us?” asked Big Bird.

“Ok! That sound like big fun!” said Cookie Monster.
Of COURSE it big fun! It SESAME STREET! Oh, me LOVE Sesame Street...

...Except for when he eats the script said:
“Gee, um, Big Bird? There’s kind of a lot of us here, are you sure the courtyard is big enough? Maybe we should go to the park,” said Bert.

“Oh, it will be fine. Gordon said to just be careful by the street,” said Big Bird.
Yeah, Gordon said it's okay, so we'll be fine! Right? Right! ...But, on the other hand...

An excellent builder of suspense said:
“Yeah, stop worrying Bert, we’ll be fine!” said Ernie.
...Famous last words... Hm...
You really gave us plenty of warning to grab the teddies said:
“Elmo wants to be on Zoe’s team!” said Elmo.

“Oh, we need captains! Let’s see, Snuff, you want to split up? You could be captain and I could be captain since it was our idea,” said Big Bird.

“Fine with me,” said Snuffy.

They started to pick their teams.
Oh, they are SO Sesame Street! So nice about picking captains and picking teams and I LOVE it so much...

I'm running out of quote names... said:
Meanwhile, Maria and Gabi came down the steps of 123 with two large garbage bags.

“I’m so glad we finally cleaned out the fridge mom. Won’t Papi be surprised when he gets home?” asked Gabi.
Oh, yeah, that needs to get done once in a while. My family is pretty good at needing to clean out the fridge...

I'm gonna need a lot more quote names said:
“I know, we’ve needed to do it for awhile. Hopefully Oscar will appreciate all of this rotten food,” said Maria. She walked up to Oscar’s can and banged on the lid.

“Can’t you people just leave me alone?” burst out Oscar when he popped up again.

“Sorry Oscar, we just wanted to give you some garbage,” said Maria.

“Excuse us for thinking of you,” said Gabi.
<Giggles!> "Excuse us for..." Oh, that is WONDERFUL! As if they wouldn't have to throw the trash out, anyway!

Oh said:
“Oh hey Skinny and Skinny Jr. I thought you’d be the Bird and his friend again,” said Oscar.

“Big Bird and Snuffy? What’s up with them?” asked Maria.

“Well, for your information, I’m down here trying to get ready for my vacation and they came here bugging me about kickball causing me delay in leaving for my trip! And now you’re doing the same thing by asking me questions, so please just leave me alone!” yelled Oscar.

“Ok, we will. Where are you going though?” asked Gabi.

“I’m going to a family reunion all right? Don’t let that get around though, I have my reputation to uphold. Now would you please get lost? I have to go!” said Oscar.
Have I mentioned yet that you have Oscar PERFECTLY in character? Because you really really do, and I LOVE it.

Sunny day said:
Maria and Gabi laughed a little to themselves and headed over to Hooper’s for some ice cream.

Oscar began to load up his Sloppy Jalopy so he could get going.

Back at the game, Big Bird’s team was up to kick and Snuffy’s team was in the field. Alan was watching the game through the window of Hooper’s Store. Maria and Gabi came inside.

“Hey Alan, what are you watching?” asked Maria.
He's watching the game! So am I, and so's the Count! Except that Alan's in the store. By the way, Hi Alan!

On my way said:
“The kids are out there playing some kickball. They’re having a good time. I’m a little concerned with how close they’re getting to the street though,” said Alan.

“Maybe we can convince them to move to the park when we finish our ice cream,” said Gabi.

“Good idea,” said Maria.

“Hey guys? Be careful out there!” yelled Alan.
...<Eyes Beth suspiciously>... Something is building here... Mayyyyybe I should reach for that teddy bear right there, juuuuust in case... Hm...

Can you tell me how to get said:
“Ok Alan!” responded Big Bird. He turned to Ernie.

“It’s your turn Ernie!” he said.

“Ok! I’m going to kick a home run!” exclaimed Ernie.
Uh-oh, hubris! Something's coming...

Come and play! Everything's A-Okay! said:
Down the street Oscar climbed into the Sloppy Jalopy and started it up. It shuttered a bit because of the fact that he hardly ever drove it.

“Come on car, let’s go,” said Oscar pushing down on the gas but not getting it to do anything.
Ach, lousy cars... <shifts weight>...

Friendly neighbors there... said:
Snuffy rolled the ball with his trunk and Ernie kicked it really hard up into the air.

“Oh no!” yelled Snuffy.

“Me got it!” responded Cookie who was in the outfield.
This is one of those times when I REALLY wish my seat had an edge, so that I could sit at the edge of my seat... I'll just bounce instead... Hm, Snuffy said, "Oh no..." Mayyyyybe I should grab that teddy...

That's where we'll meet! said:
Inside Hooper’s Store Alan had turned his back to serve Maria and Gabi their ice cream so he did not see what happened next. Even if he had, he probably would not have been able to stop what did happen.
<getting closer to standing than sitting> Whaaaaaaaat what what what GAAAAAAAH...

Can you tell me how to get said:
Cookie Monster continued to back up as the ball sailed further through the sky. He backed up into the street.

“Me got it!” he yelled again and caught it. The only one who saw what was coming was Elmo who started yelling frantically.

“Cookie! Watch out!” yelled Elmo.

He was too late.
WHAT?

Thirty-five! Thirty-five vonderful quotes! Ah ah ah... said:
All of sudden Cookie Monster was knocked to the ground by Oscar’s out of control Sloppy Jalopy.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NOOOOOOOO! COOOOOOOOOOOOKIEEEEEEEE! <writhes on the floor in emotional torment> NOOOOOOOOOOO! PHYSICAL PAIN! PHYSICAL PAIN ON SESAME STREET! NOOOOOOOOOOO!

<ahem> <sits up> MORE PLEASE!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Posted by She who must not be named: "Right? Right. ...But on the other hand."
Left.

And if you need quote names for the author of this fine tale... *Ushers Toga aside to beneath the lamp post and opens up his coat pocket to show off all the quote names for Beth. And you can have them for just a silver dollar.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Lisa, you made me laugh! I'm really glad you like this! I'm glad everyone likes this so far! Haven't really written an SS fic for awhile so I was hoping I wasn't too rusty with my characters! Anyway, I'm feeling very motivated by all the wonderful comments and even though I have a project at work this afternoon, I'm going to do my best to crank out the next chapter. :smile:

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
<Whispers to Ed> I dunno, I mean, I'm gonna be a broke college student in just under two weeks... Got anything that'll cost me just a nickel?

<To Beth> Yay, you laughed! And I had to be thorough, you know, since Prawnie's out of town, and I just KNOW my other half would enjoy this too, so...

Katzi428

Reaction score
EEK!POOR COOKIE!:eek: Great story so far Beth!Had to laugh at Oscar calling Maria & Gabi,Skinny & Skinny Jr. But I guess it fits since Oscar'd been calling Maria "Skinny" all this time. Like mom ,like daughter. :smile: Keep the story going!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Narration:

Hey there? Are you all right? As soon as I told you Cookie Monster was hit you fainted. I promise the story will have a happy ending. My friends and I have been through much worse, believe me. Of course, that would be a whole other story. In fact there are a few other stories. Oh look at me, I’m getting off track. Come on, we’ve still got a long way to walk to Sesame Street. Now, where was I?

Chapter Two:

For some who witnessed the accident everything seemed to happen in slow motion. For Oscar, it all happened too fast.

He slowly climbed out of the Sloppy Jalopy.

“Oh no, oh no, oh no,” was all Oscar could say. He tried to think how this happened. One second the car was stalled, the next second it took off. He saw the flash of blue fur and tried to stop but the breaks in his old car just weren’t up to par.

He bent down by Cookie Monster’s lifeless body.

“Oh no,” he said again.

Now everything sped up again as Alan, Maria and Gabi came running out from Hooper’s Store. All they had heard was the squeal of the tires and the screams from some of the kids.

“Cookie Monster? Are you all right?” asked Maria.

“Don’t move him,” said Alan bending down to get a closer look.

Big Bird, Snuffy, Ernie, Bert, Grover, Zoe, Elmo, The Count, Abby Cadabby and the others all gathered together in a quiet clump not sure what to do.

“Oscar, what happened?” asked Gabi.

“I…I don’t know, one second my car wouldn’t move and the next thing I knew I was down here,” said Oscar in an unusual subdued tone. He was even shaking a little.

“Oscar, don’t worry, this whole thing was an accident,” said Maria jumping up and putting an arm around Oscar. He didn’t even try to push her away.

“Gabi, I think you need to call 911, he’s not moving and he’s barely breathing,” said Alan.

Gabi took off at a sprint back into Hooper’s Store. At that moment Bob and Gordon came down the street and saw the crowd around Oscar’s car.

“What happened here?” asked Bob.

“Oh no, Cookie Monster!” said Gordon when he saw Cookie on the ground. He took one look at Cookie and then Oscar’s car and realized what must have taken place.

“Is someone calling an ambulance?” asked Bob figuring out what had happened at the same time as Gordon.

“Gabi’s inside,” said Maria still with her arm around Oscar.

“All right, kids? I think you’d all better go home,” said Gordon approaching the group.

“But what about Cookie Monster? Is he going to be ok?” asked Big Bird.

“Elmo is worried about furry blue monster,” said Elmo.

“Hey, maybe Abby can wave her magic wand and make Cookie all better!” suggested Zoe.

“I don’t think so Zoe, I can’t make anything but pumpkins,” said Abby.

“Gordon, please, Cookie Monster is our friend, please let us stay,” said Ernie.

“All right, but you all need to back away and give them some room when they get here all right?” said Gordon as they could hear sirens in the distance.

“That is 1, 1 vonderful adult,” said the Count as Gordon walked away.

“Poor Oscar,” said Snuffy.

The sirens got louder and soon an ambulance and police car pulled up.

“The police? What? Are they going to arrest me?” asked Oscar starting to sound a little more like himself.

“No Oscar, they’re just going to want to ask some questions,” said Maria.

The ambulance attendants quickly tended to Cookie Monster. They said it was a positive sign he was still breathing on his own, but still put an oxygen mask on to help him.

“Is there someone who will be riding along with him? A family member perhaps?” asked on of the attendants.

“We’re all family here. I’ll go,” said Gordon jumping up into the ambulance.

“Are you sure? I could go too,” said Bob.

“I’ll go and you guys can meet us there. Would one of you please go tell Susan what is going on? I’ll see you at the hospital,” said Gordon as they closed the doors to the ambulance and drove away.

“Now what happens?” asked Grover. Bob heard him and walked back over to the group.

“Well, what happens now is Cookie Monster is going to the hospital and the doctors and nurses there are going to see how badly he is hurt,” said Bob.

“Will he get better?” asked Zoe.

“They are going to do everything they can to help him get better. He’s going to be in the best place, the hospital is the best place to go when you’re sick or hurt,” said Bob.

“So what do we do in the meantime?” asked Ernie.

“I think you should all go home, I promise, we’ll let you know as soon as we know anything ok?” suggested Bob.

“What about Oscar? Is he going to go to jail?” asked Big Bird.

“No, of course not, this was an accident. One of the things police officers do is write a report whenever there is an accident. They just need to ask Oscar some questions,” said Bob.

He answered a few more questions before most seemed to understand what was going on and finally began to disperse. He walked back over to Hooper’s Store where the police were talking with Oscar.

Maria was still with Oscar who had surprisingly not wanted her to go away. He was even holding her hand. He didn’t like to admit to himself that he was scared.

“Thanks for answering our questions. I’m afraid we’re going to have to tow your car,” said one of the officers.

“Take it. I don’t care. If it weren’t for that stupid piece of junk, this never would’ve happened,” said Oscar but not in a grouchy way. There was more sadness in his voice.

The officers got up and left.

“Well, I’m going to go get Susan and then head over to meet Gordon at the hospital,” said Bob.

“Gabi went to find Luis, I guess we’ll be coming up too,” said Maria.

“Hey Maria? Can I go with you? I need to know if Cookie Monster is going to be ok,” said Oscar for once not using an insult to describe a Sesame Street resident and instead calling them by name.

“Of course,” said Maria. She got up to go find Luis and Gabi and told Oscar she’d meet him back at Hooper’s Store.

Oscar got up to wait outside the door as Alan was also going to be leaving soon. He watched as a tow truck loaded his Sloppy Jalopy and started to drive it away.

“It’s all my fault. This never should’ve happened,” said Oscar to himself. Then he let a lone tear fall down his scruffy face.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Awwwww...(((Oscar))) He may not like to admit it but it looks like he has a soft side sometimes after all. The story's looking great so far Beth.