The way time works...were heading back to Delphi and Geocities folks!

beaker

Reaction score
I just realized...at this hurling speed of entropy were feeling...
80's stuff coming back, Bush is president again, etc...I think were right on target to end up all back at Delphiforums, as well as back to www.geocities.com/muppetcentral. Yes folks, things are flowing into reverse now...I can see it all. Im going to be back to using no capital letters and arguing over existential theories of Fraggle Rock on delphi chat, Emmy and Jackie will be back to endless threads about scissors-muffins-and Dave Goelz, and we'll all be wondering if Muppets From Space is gonna be the bomb...or just a bomb.

...and then we'll go so far back, we'll be on a BBS server in 1989 posting in early UNIX newsgroups about which episodes of the Jim Henson Hour are going to be rerun on NBC and about those rumours of a Disney buyout...

finally we'll end up back to 1980, when Jim Henson was thinking of buying Disney...and in a bizarre Back to the Future 2 twist of alternate reality, we'll flash forward to 2003 where Disney is a fledgling company being bought out by the giant juggernaut
Jim Henson Global Conglomerate. Whee, entropy is fun.

matleo

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
80's stuff coming back, Bush is president again
Uh...does some one want to explain to Cory that Bush isn't president AGAIN...it's his son George W. Bush. There are two George Bush's, dude, the former president (Geroge Herbert Bush who is married to Barbara and has two sons, George W and...the other one) and the current President Bush (George Walker Bush who is married to Laura and has two daughters).

As for the rest, (ie 80's stuff coming back) this is nothing new. Each decade has had some odd fascination with the two decades previous. in the 70s there was a kind of fascination with the simpler times of the 50s (vis a vis Amercian Graffiti, and Happy Days) In the 80's there was a lot of 60's nostlagia (Monkees/Bewitched/I Dream of Jeanie/Gidget reruns, anniversary of Woodstock, The Wonder Years) in the 90s we were all about the 70s (That 70's show, Austin Powers, bellbottoms, HR Puffnstuff) and now it only makes sense that in the 00's we see a return to 80's (ie Alf, Muppets, etc.) Why is this? well I look at it this way, each generation reaches it's point where..well, they've matured (let's call it the post-college period) where they look at the word around them and see things for what they really are. there is no security. There is no one there to guide us anymore. So we look back. We look for something simpler. We look for a security blanket of sorts to help us carry on. It's really kind of an interesting thing if you look at it. I was actually reading something about this the other day in a psycholgy book. very fascinating. Anyway that's my two cents,

--Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Heh, that was a joke about Bush...sadly it resembles more like 1991 than the 80's(Instead of Bush Sr we got Bush jr, instead of New Kids we got N*SYnc, instead of Vanilla Ice we got Eminem, and instead of Desert Storm we got a possible Desert Storm 2)

I just fear the 90's might be visited again by a generation int he 20's...tough guy rap metal grunge, goatees, politically correct stuff, youth angst, etc.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

I just fear the 90's might be visited again by a generation int he 20's...tough guy rap metal grunge, goatees, politically correct stuff, youth angst, etc.
that left??? well the goatees did but i have yet to see the rest leave!

of course i live in small town america. we are behind the times...

Sarah

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by sarah_yzma
that left??? well the goatees did but i have yet to see the rest leave!

of course i live in small town america. we are behind the times...

Sarah
Err, as I would surmise...the 90's are still well around sadly:frown:

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Re: Re: The way time works...were heading back to Delphi and Geocities folks!

Originally posted by matleo

As for the rest, (ie 80's stuff coming back) this is nothing new. Each decade has had some odd fascination with the two decades previous. in the 70s there was a kind of fascination with the simpler times of the 50s (vis a vis Amercian Graffiti, and Happy Days) In the 80's there was a lot of 60's nostlagia (Monkees/Bewitched/I Dream of Jeanie/Gidget reruns, anniversary of Woodstock, The Wonder Years) in the 90s we were all about the 70s (That 70's show, Austin Powers, bellbottoms, HR Puffnstuff) and now it only makes sense that in the 00's we see a return to 80's (ie Alf, Muppets, etc.) Why is this? well I look at it this way, each generation reaches it's point where..well, they've matured (let's call it the post-college period) where they look at the word around them and see things for what they really are. there is no security. There is no one there to guide us anymore. So we look back. We look for something simpler. We look for a security blanket of sorts to help us carry on.
I am so glad you pointed this out, as it saves me the trouble!

*this coming from a gal who spend a year or two in the mid-80s going to Dead shows wearing long cotton skirts, Jesus sandles, and no bra*

Honestly, the way some of us go on about the return of the 80s, I guess 2020 will be spent remembering a maudlin generation obsessed with putting down nostalgia trends *and* new technology.

:stick_out_tongue:

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: The way time works...were heading back to Delphi and Geocities folks!

Originally posted by FellowWLover
*this coming from a gal who spend a year or two in the mid-80s going to Dead shows wearing long cotton skirts, Jesus sandles, and no bra*
I hate to ask, but well ummmmmmm i had to - you were wearing *SOMETHING* in assocation with the 'No Bra' comment ?

I mean i thougt Topless parties came in later ! :big_grin: