The what shows do you miss that you wish were around thread?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This thread is for those of you who have a TV show or shows that you miss, and aren't on anymore, that you wish did have to go of or left the air too soon. Please explain what that shows are about, why you liked the show, and why you miss the show/still wished it was on the air or one of these reason or two or all three.

I'll start off with a show that used to come on Nickelodeon called Roundhouse. It's a sketch comedy show that revolved round a family called The Anything family and the ends and outs of their everyday life. And I liked this show because it was very funny, well written and acted, although it had it's not so great jokes and moments, it over all was a very good program. This show was back when Nick was a bit edgy and not afraid to step a little out of bound and annoy parents very now and than.

This show was lated replaced with what I felt was the inferior show, "ALL That". When it first came on and replace Roundhouse, I was stunned at first and felt that it was just plain silly and juvenile, and I felt they were playing it too safe. This was a time where a new head and a new brass too charge of the network and things were beginning to change, and Roundhouse, despite efforts of the fans to save it, was one of the first things to go. Gone were the day of second generation shows like Clarissa Explains It All, "The Adventure or Pete & Pete", Hey Dude, "Salute Your Shorts" and others.

This episode I'm going to posts is about the Anything Family's TV Being taken away from them and put on trial because of all the negative aspects of television. It's titled "TV On Trail"

part one

part two

part three

By the way, here are the Magnavox commercial they were parodying.

first one

second one

JJandJanice

Reaction score
When I think of shows being canceled before their time, permature, let's say, one almost always comes to mind right off the bat...

In Living Color.

Most people like to think of MADtv as the rival of Saturday Night Live, but really in the four years In Living Color been on the air, more stars have come out of that show than in MADtv's 13 year run, such as Jim Carry and Jamie Foxx. I think this show could of done more for other up and coming talent if stayed on the air longer, maybe even give a jump start to furture big stars almost as much as SNL did and it still has more big names to the show than MADtv did. I mean nothing against MADtv and thier featured players, but can you compare Jim Carry and Jamie Foxx to, say, Micheal McDonald and Debra Wilson, :confused:. I rest my case.

Though, it goes without saying the show was in a slump without the writing of Keenan Ivory Wayans, I think if given some time, along with the search for more talent and writers, it still could of done amazing stuff.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
Well, this sort of goes without saying on a Muppet forum, but I wish The Muppet Show could have gone on longer. Of course, I understand the reasons it didn't as far as Jim wanting to move on to other things, but TMS is an example of the kind of entertainment that has become all but extinct in today's world.

I wish that there were more episodes of The Storyteller as well. I think there were many unexplored folktales this series could have done justice to.

JaniceGirl

Reaction score
I wish that Related could have lasted more than one season. It was about 4 sisters living in New York. They were really close and all had a kinda love-hate relationship with each other. One of the funniest things about the show was how, for example, if Ginny had some news she wanted to share with her sisters or needed to tell them something, she'd call Anne. And Anne would call Margie, and Margie would call Rose and Rose would call Ginny back to say that they all got the message.

Drtooth

Reaction score
In Living Color.

Most people like to think of MADtv as the rival of Saturday Night Live, but really in the four years In Living Color been on the air, more stars have come out of that show than in MADtv's 13 year run, such as Jim Carry and Jamie Foxx. I think this show could of done more for other up and coming talent if stayed on the air longer, maybe even give a jump start to furture big stars almost as much as SNL did and it still has more big names to the show than MADtv did. I mean nothing against MADtv and thier featured players, but can you compare Jim Carry and Jamie Foxx to, say, Micheal McDonald and Debra Wilson, :confused:. I rest my case.

In Living Color was such a significant show. It was the first African American centered sketch comedy that actually dealt with those kind of issues on a regular basis.... sure, everyone remembers Jim Carrey got his start there... but the show played such an important role... far more significant than MadTV did (even when it was good)....

Plus, I just LOOOOVED Guys on Film. That one was a riot.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
In Living Color was such a significant show. It was the first African American centered sketch comedy that actually dealt with those kind of issues on a regular basis.... sure, everyone remembers Jim Carrey got his start there... but the show played such an important role... far more significant than MadTV did (even when it was good)....
Yeah, I mean is was a satire making fun of negitive stereo types whether it be from entertainment media of news or actually peole themselves, and it was unappoligetic in it's approch. But it made fun of al aspects of socity, and the funny part was that socity was watch and laughng right along. One of thoses things were people are able to see themselves and laugh at it. May not have been everyones cup of tea, (It's sense of houmor) but it's all in fun.

Defianetly wasn't the same without keenan Ivory Waynes at the helm. It was a lot moremclassic when he was in charge and more timeless, too. Still over all, it was still pretty good after he left and they still had some very funny people on it after that time.

JJandJanice

Reaction score

Plus, I just LOOOOVED Guys on Film. That one was a riot.
Thank you Drtooth, that was pretty much the point I was trying to make you just did a better job of summing it up, :smile:.

But yeah, I enjoy MADtv (at least at first I did, til it started trying to seperate itself from the MAD magazine, which meant they didn't use Alfred E. Neumen as their mascot and Spy vs Spy cartoons were nothing but a memory), but in the much shorter time "In Living Color" was on the air, it did way more.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
But yeah, I enjoy MADtv (at least at first I did, til it started trying to seperate itself from the MAD magazine, which meant they didn't use Alfred E. Neumen as their mascot and Spy vs Spy cartoons were nothing but a memory), but in the much shorter time "In Living Color" was on the air, it did way more.
I think a big reason for that, was that so much in television had already been covered by the time MADtv came on that there was not much new ground left. And it wasn't just this show either.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Another great show that I miss a lot as Salute you're shorts. It was about these kinds at summer a summer camp who had problem at camp as well as getting along with each other. It was based on the book series "Salute Your Shorts: Life at Summer Camp" by Steve Slavkin. Really love this show because it showed real conflict that kids might have ( A lot due to personality and culture clashing) with each other as well as them all working together to pull one over on their counselor Kevin "Ugh" Lee. Often times they can find common ground with each other. As the show goes along, then all develop friendships with each other and understand each other better. Over all a really great show and a lot of fun to watch. Very funny show!

Here are two episodes. The first one may be edited at the end.

The first one is about New kid Mike come to camp and having a hard time fitting in as the new guy.

Part 1

Part 2

part 3

The next episode is the second from season two. In it The group learns Mike leaves camp for Europe and is not returning back. New Kid Ronnie Pinsky joins and everyone instantly likes him, But Budnick feels he has to earn his place.

part 1

part 2

pare 3

Xerus

Reaction score
I was pretty disappointed when my favorite shows like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, Out of Control, and the Jim Henson Hour were cancelled and wouldn't be returning with new episodes. But then I always usually end up finding a new show I like and I do become delighted when I get my old favorites on video tapes or DVD.