The World Of The Dark Crystal VS Dark Crystal Creation Myths

Squall Leonhart

Reaction score
Alright now that the final volume has been released, and most questions from the first volume have been answered I was re-reading the World of the Dark Crystal, comparing it to the Creation Myths. Why they didn't follow the World of The Dark Crystal is beyond me, this still actually bugs me. Adding or taking away from something that has a fairly rock solid mythos is just asking for die hard fans, like myself, to me completely confused. Here are the top things that still bug me. And yes, before anybody asks, I am obsessed.

One: "The Skeksis ... stormed into the Crystal Chamber ... there was a loud argument, they struck blows, one hit the Crystal. A shard broke from the Crystal and flew UP the shaft and onto the mountainside." In The Dark Crystal Creation Myths it flew down into the heart of Thra. Which makes no sense, but I'll get to that in a minute.

Two: The Crystal flew down into the pit below the crystal, into the heart of Thra. In The Dark Crystal, "Where the Crystal hangs above a shaft of air and FIRE." SkekTek fell into the shaft and was killed when he hit the fire. That's what I always assumed happened to him anyway. But Aughra and Raunip went down there to get the shard...

Three: "But in the heart of the urSkeks there struggled two beings living within the same body---" "In the Heart of the castle the "urSkeks" made a trap for light ... that had passed through the Great Crystal, the light that fell into the LAKE OF FIRE deep within the world" "Then, one by one in long procession they walked into its brightness. They entered the bright light as a single being; but as they left the path of light, each had becomne two." In The Dark Crystal Creation Myths Raunip made the dark one angry, and that's what caused the split....and also they were just trying to go home there.

I could go on and on about this. Why keep some things correct, Aughra loosing her eye to the First great conjunction and some other things like above, different? I would have loved to have seen what happened in The World OF The Dark Crystal, there was seriously no need for a rewrite of the mythos.

Sorry if this was long winded. I stated this before, when I read the first or second ones. Does anyone else agree with me? Thanks for reading.

Last edited: