The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't know what you're getting with that. Compared to the other stuff on Saturday Mornings, their stuff was of quality.

You could go out there with a camera and film random crap, and you'd have an indie film. Pluck and determination sees a project through, but it takes talent and intelligence to make a good product.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My point was sometimes indie people CAN produce a product of quality, they're a prime example of that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh, sure. The thing is, there's all these really great indie animations that are Pixar quality all over Youtube and at film festivals. They're all a trillion times better than this. I am a big fan of indie animations, and I love to see new talent make something remarkable that we just can't get out of a major studio.

This film isn't one of them, though. Just being indie doesn't assure that you'll have a quality product. A rotten tomato that bugs got at is still considered organic. Same goes for being a big studio and having big names attached. Not a guarantee of success. But saying "they're a scrappy little start up that saw a project through and got it to run in 15 theaters" doesn't make it a good project. Spark Plug Entertainment and Studio Brinquendo are technically indie studios too.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
There's this new Donkey Kong Country animated series, and the animation doesn't make it look very official.

The animation lacks good textures, and is a little plastic-y, as if it was made in Anim8or.

Even though this is the opposite of horrible CGI, there was this animated short called Sintel (check it out on YouTube), and it's animation is better than all of the Video Brinquedo films combined. The most amazing part is the animation software it was made on is freeware, as in, anyone can download it. Big budget companies would probably save a lot of money using it.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
It's not that new, it's actually from the mid-late 90s, so that's why the animation looks so low tech and dated.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Hm, I thought it was just released because the DVD just came out. That gives it more of an excuse.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ah yes. The 1997 Donkey Dong Country series. I seem to recall it being motion capture. It's quite impressive and fair for its day. Beast Wars was a little more polished looking.

It aired briefly on the Fox Family channel, so I'm guessing that's why you've never heard of it. It was a hit in Japan and it's native country of France, just not much here. Shout was actually trying to get that series out years ago, after they ran out of Super Mario cartoons, but some yutz company was sitting on the rights for the privilage of having the rights, and didn't want to do anything with it. Nor did they want anyone else to want to do anything with it. I'm super ticked Phase 4 is just releasing the series in a chopped up movie form instead of the complete collection it deserves.

Besides that, there's another reason it's far from new. Nintendo has a humongous bug up its butt when it comes to cartoon series, comic books, and movies. The last of which, totally understandable. Koopa's cameo in Wreck-it Ralph is the closest thing we'll ever get to another Super Mario movie (unless a second Wreck-it Ralph does get made and they have a place to put Mario this time). Yet, they treat repetitive toy commercial Pokemon like it's the best thing in the universe.

But the DKC show is pretty good. Kinda goofy, and Diddy's voice is pretty annoying, but it's pretty fun.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
I really wished we had the 1986 Mario anime film dubbed and rereleased in the West, it didn't have that so bad, it's good and memetic status that the American shows have.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They basically tossed that movie aside in its home country. Of course they wouldn't bother with it here, no matter how much we called for it.

They can throw Mario all they want on merchandise but for the love of Wario, they just refuse to make any outside media, domestic or international, featuring characters that aren't Pokemon. It's about time for a new Mario series. Wario needs to be animated for something besides a commercial. He should have his own something by now.

There was a pretty good fan made web series, though.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Saying that Mario doesn't talk isn't a good excuse for not having a Mario cartoon, because there was this official Mario Sports Mix promo where Mario was given an interview, and he was talking in complete sentences. Not to mention Mario Teaches Typing. I don't really understand why he and Luigi don't talk in the games.

Drtooth said:
Wario needs to be animated for something besides a commercial. He should have his own something by now.
I can imagine a Wario animated series spawning a whole bunch of memes.