The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Are they in some kind of mental hospital or something?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not so much a worst, but a "why?!!"

I just watched the new movie based Smurf Halloween special (it's far better than the films, and it's mostly 2-D animated, I'll mention it on another thread) and there was this one preview that really got me perplexed.

Remember the 1990's Swan Princess movie that no one really liked and wasn't all that popular? For absolutely no apparent reason they've made a DTV CGI sequel to it that looks like it could rival the awfulness of the worst of Disney's DTV cheapquels.

Seriously... WHY?! Why a movie that wasn't that popular and not well liked? Someone clearly wants to make a ... well, not so much a mockbuster, but something very similar to the Disney Princess franchise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but why the heck do Bronies get the business when this subpar tenth party animated drek even has a fanbase? I personally can't understand why everyone loves those Cloudy movies, but even that looked more engaging than the first one of these stupid things. The fan base will eat it up no matter how terrible it is. Seriously.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh right, the furries just love this. :big_grin:
Uh... no, I mean, the fact that an animated movie is going to have four installments in its series... because, ever since Shrek, every animation studio wants their cash cow to have four or more movies.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Oh God, no! Alpha & Omega has a sequel, and two more are planned, as well! :eek:

http://family-room.ew.com/2013/08/07/alpha-and-omega-2-clip/

It's nice to know that Crest Animation is milking this along with Swan Princess! :rolleyes:
The article said the wolf family will discover the "true meaning of the holidays" during the movie. I'm glad the creative team has come up with such a bold, original idea for the sequel. Must have taken them forever.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Uh... no, I mean, the fact that an animated movie is going to have four installments in its series... because, ever since Shrek, every animation studio wants their cash cow to have four or more movies.
I always found it funny that everyone wants to copy Dreamworks instead of Pixar. Then again, the only CGI Family movie franchise that had 4 theatrical installments aside from Shrek was Ice Age. Pixar is smart to leave Toy Story to shorts and specials. The Halloween TS special was pretty good, if slightly borrowing the plotline of TS2 (a collector stealing toys and selling them).

Rather it seems to me that this is the level of DTV cheapquels of already not that great movies like Open Season and Liongate's own Happily Ne'er Creative After. I honestly hope this movie disappoints the fanbase to a level of disgust. A&O was never popular and has a cult of a cult following (the drinking poison Kool-Aid kind). Only they would want a sequel. Technically, the fact that there's going to be a crappy CGI DTV of an already crappy movie that prevented a MUCH better movie from happening (Alas, poor Disney/Pixar's Newt) doesn't really bug me, but the fact the annoying fanbase is exploding with delight is ticking me off.

Go ahead. Read the comments section. They're defending the movie like it's their first born child, and acting like jerks to everyone else who didn't find the lame thing special.

Meanwhile, Igor languishes in obscurity.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always found it funny that everyone wants to copy Dreamworks instead of Pixar.
Well, I mean... never mind... I was going to say that would be like if everybody in puppetry tried to copy Jim... but, a lot of them kind of do anyway.

I think it's because DreamWorks tends to have just a LITTLE more subtext to their movies: they have slightly more adult humor and they get away with it, whereas Pixar usually plays it a little more safe most of the time.

Not to mention, DreamWorks movies tend to have overall better animation and more believable-looking character designs, whereas with Pixar, the characters always have a cartoonish-look to them.