The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Even Shrek had more of a potential to be turned into a TV series, but I kind of imagine that later on, it's turn out to be like ARTHUR - focusing less and less on Shrek, Fiona, and the Ogrelings, and more and more on the secondary characters like Gingy, Pinocchio, the Three Little Pigs, etc.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The series is kinda dull if you want my honest opinion. There's a lot of potential, but it doesn't seem like they know what direction to go in. It's really about their everyday lives in Berk, which doesn't prove to be very interesting at all. The Dragons barely play any role. At least, from the few episodes I've seen. It could just be I watched a few duds.
Sounds like they're trying too hard not to shake things up too much to conflict with the movies. Like they're too careful or something. But that's just the problem with these cartoon adaptions of movies. They never give the adaption any credit and refuse to believe they exist. Any character development and major shake up is unimportant.

Even Shrek had more of a potential to be turned into a TV series, but I kind of imagine that later on, it's turn out to be like ARTHUR - focusing less and less on Shrek, Fiona, and the Ogrelings, and more and more on the secondary characters like Gingy, Pinocchio, the Three Little Pigs, etc.
Shrek has enough IMO. 4 movies, 2 short lived comic book series, at least 3 holiday specials and one short Halloween bit with the pigs that they only released on the Nintendo DS. Puss in Boots does have potential. But so far Dreamworks has done the right thing with Penguins of Madagascar (focusing on the Ensamble Darkhorse characters and expanding on them) and Monsters Vs Aliens (taking a movie that they refuse to sequel and giving it life). I really like KFP:LOA as well, and it gives character development to ill defined characters... but like I said, the cartoon series doesn't matter, and all those backstories that flesh out the other five members who aren't Po are going to be completely ignored by the time KFP 3 comes out.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm really enjoying the Dragons animated series. I like how it focuses more on the human characters and the universe in general, and how the dragons struggle to work together in human society. I love how Mark Hamill voices one of the villains, too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ehhh... that looks more unremarkable than flat out bad. It's disappointing that this came from the same studio that does one of my favorite new cartoon series, Bolts & Blip.

I swear I posted this, but I found this on TV tropes a little while back.

In 2001, Shrek producer John H. Williams founded his own studio, Vanguard Animation, which created Valiant, Happily N'Ever After, Space Chimps, and a direct-to-video sequel of the same. Their website shows several other projects in the pipeline, such as The Nut House (a heist film parody involving squirrels and acorns), Rotten Island (adaptation of a book by William Steig, who also wrote the books that inspired Shrek), an adaptation of Roald Dahl's The Twits, and many more
are mentioned in a 2010 press release. However, other than an October 2011 announcement of The Nut House, it seems Vanguard has vanished. Probably for the better, as another studio announced their own squirrel-based heist film
for a 2014 release.
So it could be worse... the "genius" behind Happily Ne'Er After almost made the same movie.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought VALIANT was a DreamWorks movie, if only because all the trailers said, "From the creators of SHREK", however, it seemed clear to me that HAPPILY N'EVER AFTER and SPACE CHIMPS were off-brand movies.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Will "Gob" Arnett should make that squirrel movie at least somewhat entertaining.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah, it looks meh at worst. Certainly less ridiculous than that Turkey thing where they (SPOILER) save the day by ordering Chuck E. Cheese pizza. A product placement as heavy handed as Little Nicky saving the day by saying "Popeye's Chicken is *&^%in' Awesome!" Yeah... it certainly was awesome enough to blow through my colon that one time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
THE NUT JOB almost kind of looks like a lesser-quality Pixar film... the character designs kind of look like Pixar characters, but the overall animation looks about a decade behind.