The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

mr3urious

Reaction score
The smaller companies are to blame for clogging up the market with mostly crappy CGI movies that people are tiring of. It's just like the hand-drawn stuff from the last couple of decades.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But, like I said before: number two was the best of the series (at least I think so) - the story flowed well and it was a well-executed twist on the old "meet the family" plot, they included only a small number of the key supporting characters from the first movie instead of trying to cram all the minor fairy tale creatures in there, the new characters really served a purpose to the story rather than just being there oozing Drop-In Character syndrome, and all and all, it was a fun movie.
The second one is my favorite of the series. Unless you count Puss in Boot's spinoff. There's something about PIB I enjoyed more than the entire Shrek franchise.

Though I do blame Shrek's popularity for the lame rise of cruddy Fairy Tale parody type films. YES, even the Henson ones. But Happily Ne'Er After is the worst of the bunch. Even with Patrick Warburton.

The smaller companies are to blame for clogging up the market with mostly crappy CGI movies that people are tiring of. It's just like the hand-drawn stuff from the last couple of decades.
No one appreciates the fact that there were terrible 2-D movies in the 90's after The Little Mermaid's rise to glory. Thumbellina was garbage. The 2 headed Dragon and Urkle, the Axe faced Chicken were the only redeeming qualities of Quest for Camelot (and it was still more watchable than Thumbellina)... then there's stuff that just has nostalgia blinders on it we can't even bring ourselves to say sucked. Meanwhile, the best non-Disney 2-D film of the 90's only got respect recently. And you can tell I mean Iron Giant, right? It's not really a new thing with CGI films. And the more third and fourth parties come to over-saturate the market, the worse those films do till we thin out the ranks of the decent to great ones.

I do feel sorry for Escape from Earth, though. It was Mainframe's first theatrical feature, and Tweedlefat and Tweedlepoopbrain totally ruined its chances. Sigh. To think, the profits that crappy movie could have made might have just gone to funding a Reboot film. That's a CGI movie we desperately need. Something the close out the series once and for all.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Though I do blame Shrek's popularity for the lame rise of cruddy Fairy Tale parody type films. YES, even the Henson ones. But Happily Ne'Er After is the worst of the bunch. Even with Patrick Warburton.
It's SO refreshing that Tangled didn't become that, but almost did in development purgatory when Shrek was out. Frozen probably won't, either.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've heard that the Toei-animated Little Mermaid movie (made long before Disney's version, in the 1970s) is supposed to be really good, and a lot truer to the book (and a lot more naked mermaid boobs, too :big_grin:).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm a leg man myself, but then again, mermaids don't have legs, so that would be a drawback... but I guess I could settle for more naked mermaid boobs.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've noticed some of those ripoffs were retroactive. They existed long before the Disney versions came out (most of the Fairy Tale ones), but were released only because they could get them cheap.

I've heard that the Toei-animated Little Mermaid movie (made long before Disney's version, in the 1970s) is supposed to be really good, and a lot truer to the book (and a lot more naked mermaid boobs, too :big_grin:).

I've seen portions of it, and it is beautiful. Of course they stuck to the original ending, since Japan loves to depress the heck out of their youth.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed some of those ripoffs were retroactive. They existed long before the Disney versions came out (most of the Fairy Tale ones), but were released only because they could get them cheap.
That's almost kind of like the whole BABE/GORDY thing: GORDY came out first, but BABE was much more critically and commercially successful that people consider GORDY to be a cheap ripoff... I like both movies myself - BABE is a more poignant and only slightly mature story, while GORDY is pretty standard Disney live action talking animal fair (though one interesting thing is the movie was written by the creators of GREEN ACRES, so that makes sense).

THEN, you've got cases of two different studios making ripoffs of each other, and each of them trying to beat it to theaters before the other (case in point: Pixar with A BUG'S LIFE Vs. DreamWorks with ANTZ).

EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, is it just me, or does it seem like most CGI movies these days have become dumping grounds for B-list comedians to supply voices, insteading of bringing in A-list celebrities anymore? Seems like anytime an SNL castmate leaves the show, they end up supplying their voices for the next several CGI movies that come out. Then again, that's one thing I've liked in particular about Brad Bird's movies for Pixar, with some exceptions (like Samuel L. Jackson as Frozone), he didn't really rely on A-list celebrities, or even B-list comedians to do the voices... even on THE INCREDIBLES DVD, there's a featurette about the girl who voiced Violet, and she's not even an actress, she's like an author/historian (I think I saw a couple of her books in the store recently).