The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to that one. Dreamworks has made mostly quality films (minus Shark Tale) so far, and I don't see this as one to derail that. The worst thing I could say about Home is that the teaser short was shown before Peabody and Sherman instead of the Bullwinkle short, and even the disappointment of that decision couldn't take the fun out of that short. I mean, a cartoon movie with Steve Martin doing a voice? Sign me up.

Seems that the really bad CGI movies are getting weeded out, unfortunately some of the actually quite good ones fail to find an audience that isn't a home video one.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The use of Rihanna as the lead role sounds a bit iffy to me. Seems like DW is going back to the days of casting big-name celebs for the sake of it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Rihanna's just plain trash, honestly.

She used to be rather talented, but it seems like ever since Chris Brown beat her up, she's just gotten trashier and trashier since.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The use of Rihanna as the lead role sounds a bit iffy to me. Seems like DW is going back to the days of casting big-name celebs for the sake of it.

They never really completely left it, but they've made wiser choices and complete stunt casting before. This seems to be sort of a mid-ground. They haven't exactly marketing the heck out of her presence though. Considering that they didn't market a single bigger name in POM's spinoff movie, and 3 of the 4 main characters were headed up by animators that voiced them in movies before... even John DiMaggio wasn't the voice of Rico in that one, and I dunno if the guy who played him was an animator. You never knew about Benedict Cumberbatch or John Malkovich unless you watched the behind the scenes stuff on youtube.

I assume she's the little girl, though. If that's the case, she appears to be doing fine. Snoop Dogg (or Lion or whatever) did a great job in Turbo. Heck, I'd say the voice talent for that one essentially made the movie much more than it should have been. So I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product. though Jim Parsons and Steve Martin are thoroughly in their element.

mr3urious

Reaction score
They never really completely left it, but they've made wiser choices and complete stunt casting before. This seems to be sort of a mid-ground. They haven't exactly marketing the heck out of her presence though. Considering that they didn't market a single bigger name in POM's spinoff movie, and 3 of the 4 main characters were headed up by animators that voiced them in movies before... even John DiMaggio wasn't the voice of Rico in that one, and I dunno if the guy who played him was an animator. You never knew about Benedict Cumberbatch or John Malkovich unless you watched the behind the scenes stuff on youtube.
Yeah, they've gone the route of Pixar over the years by casting
those who fit the role well than just getting the biggest names.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wouldn't even give it the satisfaction of adding that to my "watched" list. I have to admit, a lot of these bad films at least have a morbid curiosity factor. I've been working up the nerve to watch a few minutes of Foodfight without commentary, but can't get through the trailer without slowly melting like on of the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc. But Heroes of Color City doesn't even look like a fun bad. Just a poor quality, uninteresting bad. I'd love to see this wind up on the "So Bad It's Horrible" or something on TVTropes (doesn't even have a page yet).

Though I'm kinda annoyed that it's ratings aren't much lower. Seems the reviews are more that this is mediocre (an overused word that means just below average, everyone uses it for terrible or "did not meet my satisfaction") than truly awful. It's a shame that this thing has some strong voice acting talent that's going to waste. Stuff like this really deserves the cast of Garsey's Wing. Loud and flat.
Going back on topic, here's another classic show ruined by CGI where most of the characters don't look the same!
Yeah. What's the point of that? Bananas was only worth while as a live action show, as stupid as it was (mostly on purpose). While I do think the era of the guys in large, ugly, cheap suits has long been over, making it CGI is hardly "updating" it. It's just dragging it out for a new generation to ignore and have it fall through the cracks. I don't think anyone really wants a B in P revival. I don't even think anyone's going to even fess up to growing up with it non-ironically. And we're getting the crowd that happily states they grew up with Barney.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They will until the first one bombs at the box office. No one's going to bother with these, not even ironically. Even though Battleship (and I instinctively typed that with a t at the end, and I wasn't even trying) did make it's money overseas (due to the fact they didn't know it was a video game, and vapid action films don't need much translation), it would be quite daft to try any of those kinds of movies anyway.

However, as it leaked out that Sony was actively trying to attain the Mario movie license (don't think that'll ever happen), I don't see why modern filmmakers and the like aren't trying for retro games that have an actual plot line and story to mine from. Heck, a Yar's Revenge movie makes more sense. Did come with a comic book after all.