The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rhianna's doing a great job, as far as I can tell with the previews. She sounds like a little kid, and if I didn't read about her doing the voice, I never would have known.

Personally, I'm excited for Steve Martin's character. I'm a big Steve Martin fan, and every line they showed in the trailer actually manages to keep being funny. That's a feat for TV spots.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
Shark Tales. Awful plot awful characters, awful pop culture references, awful songs. If dreamworks was trying to outdo finding nemo with that THING they failed epically on every front. Yes the cgi looked nice but everything else sank faster than the Titanic.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
They may have been trying to outdo Nemo, but they were also more-or-less doing a parody of those mob movies that DeNiro and Scorceses do.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
They may have been trying to outdo Nemo, but they were also more-or-less doing a parody of those mob movies that DeNiro and Scorceses do.
didn't make it any less awful and WHY were killer whales defined as sharks? killer whales are related to DOLPHINS!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Like I said before, you cannot understand Shark Tale without knowing of the Toy Story Black Friday reel. The one Katzenberg insisted be "edgy," only to have Woody as an overbearing monster who made horrible jokes to threaten the other toys, and the other toys being just as nasty so they're not even coming out sympathetic. Sharktale was clearly a passive aggressive move by Dreamworks to say "we can do Nemo better by being Edgy" and proving themselves perfectly wrong.

I have to admit, it's not horrible and has some decent moments, but overall a trainwreck. They focused too much on celebrity, and some of them just aren't suited to animation. Will Smith proves that Osmosis Jones was better for him having turned it down, going for Chris Rock instead. And while Angelina Jolie was actually good in both Kung Fu Pandas, she was basically an interchangeable female voice actor here. Only character that was any good was Jack Black's shark who's name escapes me at the moment.

However, I see that film as Dreamwork's early low point, and their films have been getting better ever since. KFP was a major turning point for the studio and HTTYD proved they could do a movie franchise right.

Harleena

Reaction score
I'm a bit surprised no one mentioned Chicken Little. Although to be honest, I love that movie a lot, so I'm fine if no one mentioned it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chicken Little doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It's not Disney's greatest film, but it's charming enough. At least it wasn't the snoozefest Dinosaur was.

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
i didn't like either of those films. but they don't bother me as much as shark tale does. I don't know why but as i said that film gets on my nerves... a LOT.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On the plus side, the film was bad enough to get Dreamworks to realize how much of a low point it was, and they've improved since. More or less. Shark Tale insists upon itself. That's probably why it grates. It wants to be Shrek but with Finding Nemo and Mafia movies for some reason, and it comes across clumsy all over. There's a certain element of fun that's woefully missing in trying too hard to be something it couldn't be. They try so hard to emulate Shrek down to the cute and annoying high pitched character. Something they did persist with, but did better in later films. Heck, Madagascar even lampshades Mort as annoying. And he was completely rescued from the Scrappy heap in the cartoon series and subsequent movies.