The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

beaker

Reaction score
Ohhhhhh yeah.

And the sad part is, the film still looks better than Turbo. And you can't even accuse it of being cheap. Those actual Disco song rights must've cost a fortune.
You know, if the writing is smart I could actually watch this. I liked ANTZ so much more than A Bug's Life, even tho it had much more sub par animation. I just felt the writing and vibe was a lot more appealing to me.

Strangely I kind of dug those Henson dtv fairy tale one offs.

beaker

Reaction score
Is it me or is this the most advanced looking amazing CGI ever for a kid's movie?
I have to say I think it even beats the pants off anything Pixar has done. I just wonder why in 2013 THIS isn't the standard?

Dr Tooth, have you seen this trailer? Talk about PS1 cutscene core

beaker

Reaction score
Meanwhile, you look at Wreck-it Ralph, and all the main celebrity voice cast is made up of second bananas and indie film stars... but their voices are instantly recognizable (Fix it Felix's especially).
I like the concept of a "roger rabbit of video game franchises" movie, and I like some of Wreck it Ralph...but it felt like a lot of missed opportunities. They had only a small handful of video game cameos(Uh lets see, Qbert, a poster of Sonic, Zangief, Eggman, M Bison, Kano, the rhino from the obscure 1988 arcade game Altered Beast, and uh...oh wait Bowser had a cameo) That and the setting of candy land was kind of offputting.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Keep in mind, while RANGO is a good movie, and looks really great, it's not entirely/completely animated: most of it is motion capture... then again, a lot of movies do that nowadays, I guess it's easier for the animators to do that than to completely animate the characters' movements themselves.

I do agree though, as far as style, detail, and overall quality is concerned, RANGO is tops at the moment, even more advanced-looking than DreamWorks' stuff, and DreamWorks' animation always looked like a step above Pixar (Pixar always had a cartoony-look and quality to their animation, DreamWorks was a bit more realisitc).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Keep in mind, while RANGO is a good movie, and looks really great, it's not entirely/completely animated: most of it is motion capture... then again, a lot of movies do that nowadays, I guess it's easier for the animators to do that than to completely animate the characters' movements themselves.

I do agree though, as far as style, detail, and overall quality is concerned, RANGO is tops at the moment, even more advanced-looking than DreamWorks' stuff, and DreamWorks' animation always looked like a step above Pixar (Pixar always had a cartoony-look and quality to their animation, DreamWorks was a bit more realisitc).
A lot of people think that, but Rango wasn't motion capture at all. They shot a live action version of the film (without registration points or ping-pong balls) and later used it as a guide to create the animation. This is actually a very traditional approach that's radical by today's standards.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I remember the behind-the-scenes documentary at the end of a Peter Pan VHS that showed Disney filming scenes in live-action before animating them, and using photographs of a model and oversized props as a guide for animating Tinkerbell. I wonder if Disney still does this?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like the concept of a "roger rabbit of video game franchises" movie, and I like some of Wreck it Ralph...but it felt like a lot of missed opportunities. They had only a small handful of video game cameos(Uh lets see, Qbert, a poster of Sonic, Zangief, Eggman, M Bison, Kano, the rhino from the obscure 1988 arcade game Altered Beast, and uh...oh wait Bowser had a cameo) That and the setting of candy land was kind of offputting.
I find people who were disappointed that the film wasn't everyone else's video game characters running about waving and taking time away from the actual characters that the movie was actually about just didn't get the film. The "small amount of video game cameos" has far more to do with the game copyright owners than the film makers. Capcom, for example, PULLED a Dr. Wily Cameo for M. Bison and plastered Street Fighter all over the film. Only thing that was the film maker's hand? They couldn't find a logical place for Mario and Luigi. Even mentioning them is kinda weird in retrospect... the main characters are clearly supposed to be parody versions of those guys.

The cameos from other games were fun and all, but I'm glad the entire movie wasn't "look who we paid to get into the film" for the entire film.

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Video Brinquedo. They're that infamous Brazilian animation company that makes those blatantly obvious Pixar rip-off Z-movies. Ignore the fact that it's obviously plagiarizing Pixar and DreamWorks movies, but look at the animation. I saw a couple minutes of Ratatoing (Ratatouille rip-off), and it was pretty horrible. The animation was like the Uncanny Valley robotic movements from Flash animation, but in CGI. Some parent might not be able to tell the difference when at the DVD section in Wal-Mart and buy their kids The Little Cars in the Great Race instead of Cars 2.

Video Brinquedo started out distributing Little Lulu and Sonic X DVDs, according to Wikipedia.

beaker

Reaction score
I find people who were disappointed that the film wasn't everyone else's video game characters running about waving and taking time away from the actual characters that the movie was actually about just didn't get the film. The "small amount of video game cameos" has far more to do with the game copyright owners than the film makers. Capcom, for example, PULLED a Dr. Wily Cameo for M. Bison and plastered Street Fighter all over the film. Only thing that was the film maker's hand? They couldn't find a logical place for Mario and Luigi. Even mentioning them is kinda weird in retrospect... the main characters are clearly supposed to be parody versions of those guys.

The cameos from other games were fun and all, but I'm glad the entire movie wasn't "look who we paid to get into the film" for the entire film.
Oh I loved John C Reilly, brilliant. The dude from 30 Rock was good too. I felt genuinely heartfelt when he has to sleep in a pile of bricks. I'm just saying it felt a bit disjointed. Like it had the promise to be really amazing.

By the way, Bowser was in it...which doesnt make sense. As you said, Wreck In Ralph is a direct spoof of early Nintendo games like Wrecking Crew and Donkey Kong(tho, with a bit of 1986 Atari Rampage thrown in) and Bowser is a part of the Mario and Luigi world. Even if you remove all cameo characters, I still feel the film is a bit off. I really dig what they were going for though.

Btw its lame they didnt make merchandise for the cameo characters...would have so bought a Q Bert plush. Still tho, as if a zillion companies wouldnt want there characters in a flagship holiday Disney film? C'mon

Drtooth

Reaction score
Btw its lame they didnt make merchandise for the cameo characters...would have so bought a Q Bert plush. Still tho, as if a zillion companies wouldnt want there characters in a flagship holiday Disney film? C'mon
If it comes down to rights, nothing can be done about it.

On the original subject of the thread, looks like Planes has a crappy ripoff film

As one of the comments said "A rip-off of a spin-off of Pixar's second worst movie.
Well then."

Edit again... Rob Schneider's in it. It seems they went to great lengths to make this the worst movie ever.