1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The Worst CGI Kid Films In Recent Memory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by beaker, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

ngl i thought hotel transylvania 2 was pretty good, though im not sure how much that means since i hated the first one

2. Froggy Fool

Froggy Fool Well-Known Member

HT is actually one of my favorite Sony Pictures movies.

I always watch it every Halloween that's how much I like it. That being said, I don't think they need to make another one. Another case of Sequelitis.:smirk:

3. cuppajoe95

cuppajoe95 Well-Known Member

4. cuppajoe95

Hmm... I don't know about you, but Open Road Films seems to pull a Weinstein Company in regards to CG films. Any CG film that isn't The Nut Job gets delayed or, in the case of Spark, a limited release with little to no advertising.

Not that any of us expected it to be good anyway, but Duck, Duck Goose has been delayed for four months (I practically figured they wouldn't bother with an April 20 release because there was no advertising and nary a listing on a cinema chain site... seriously, I checked) and I won't be surprised if Blazing Samurai doesn't come out on May 10.

5. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Well-Known Member

You know that show PAW Patrol that's all the rage with toddlers? It looks very adorable, but I stumbled upon concept art that revealed that it wasn't going to look cute originally:
    [​IMG]
    The dogs look too realistic in contrast to the cartoony backdrops in this concept, and what is up with Rubble's face? I do think Skye's concept art is adorable...

Speaking of dogs, I saw this trailer for a terrible talking dog movie (not CGI though) before Isle of Dogs that stars Ludacris of all people.

As for good films released this year that I'm looking forward to, there's the CGI Grinch movie that looks really good. The Teen Titans Go movie also looks great and funny despite me not watching the show, but to me it feels like it's going to be the big finale.

Aaaand they pulled Duck Duck Goose before it's release. Nothing on Blazing Samurai, and Animal Crackers hasn't been released yet either (but I think that's due to the whole Weinstein thing. I'm surprised WB didn't get the rights to that when they got them for Paddington 2).

6. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

JESUS CHRIST! And I thought the concept art of Lion from Steven Universe looked hideous. Let's be thankful that the show itself never looked like THAT! :eek:

7. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Yeah, and it's from the director of the live-action Garfield and Smurfs movies. He should have been done after the failure of Smurfs 2. :rolleyes:

If families with little kids let Nine Lives flop, then I hope they will to this, too. I'd even go as far as to say they should take them to Deadpool 2.

8. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that's not what it wound up being. It probably would have scared the target audience.
    Nine Lives actually flopped because it was released at a time when The Secret Life Of Pets was making tons of money at the box office and because of it being released the same day as Suicide Squad (a lot of little kids go to superhero movies regardless of rating. I saw a lot of little girls obsessing over Harley Quinn that year). There's barely any kids movies when Show Dogs comes out (except for the handful of theaters showing Sherlock Gnomes), so I'm betting it might make at least some profit.

9. cuppajoe95

This video came out recently and I thought it would be worth bringing to your attention:

10. Rugrats1

Rugrats1 Member

All of the bad CGI movies a nowadays are a symptom of Hollywood running out of ideas, so we get crappy animated movies like Sherlock Gnomes, Frozen, The Emoji Movie, Norm of The North and more

11. ConsummateVs

*bump*

Y'know, I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a whole lot of bad animated movies coming out this year (at least in the US, Canada, and the UK).

The worst one I can think of is Sherlock Gnomes. (I'm not counting Peter Rabbit because that's a live action/CGI hybrid, and not completely animated.) Just about everything else that has been released so far ranges from decent to amazing.

We'll have to wait and see how good or bad The Grinch (which comes out tomorrow, I believe), Wreck-It Ralph 2, and Into the Spider-Verse are.

12. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Honestly, even the Grinch himself seems "meh" about his latest remake.

I mean seriously, based on trailers, the Grinch hardly seems like the Grinch at all . . . he's really not sinister or menacing or anything (heck, even Jim Carrey made him seem like a maniacal psychopath), he seems so laid-back and chill . . . and Benedict Cumberbatch's voice is really an ill-fit.

We might as well do a remake of Disney's Hunchback and have @LittleJerry92 voice a stoner Frollo.

ConsummateVs and LittleJerry92 like this.
  13. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

14. D'Snowth

Good, so it's not just me.
    [​IMG]

15. D'Snowth

I would also argue that the Jim Carrey version of the Grinch brought some emotional complexity to the character: the movie gives us a backstory, detailing how he was adopted by a pair of little old Who ladies who found his baby basket in a tree, but as a kid growing up, he was tormented by his peers for being green and hairy - and for having a crush on the prettiest Who girl in school. That deep-rooted psychological trauma turned him into that said scary, mean, crusty, old frog who hated society. Even as a full-grown Grinch living alone in his lair atop of Mount Crumpet, we see moments where he's actually a really sad, broken, depressed character - eating out of boredom, curling up in the fetal position out of loneliness.

Granted, I know that often times, people don't like when characters are given complex backstories to explain why they are the way they are (Dr. Seuss' original kept his reasons for hating Christmas and the Whos completely vague), but it really helped with Jim Carrey's portrayal of the Grinch as being an absolute psychotic sociopath.

Either way, this is what the Grinch is supposed to be, so I have no clue what they were thinking making Benedict Cumberbatch's Grinch such a laid-back and chill dude who feels more like a troll than anything.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  16. ConsummateVs

I figured out where those characters are from. They are from a lousy CGI DTV movie, and it's called The Lion of Judah:

Not the absolute worst animation I've ever seen, but it is pretty ugly.

17. D'Snowth

I thought the Grinch looking too cutesy and cuddly was bad enough, Cindy Lou Who doesn't even look like a Who, let alone a Dr. Seuss creation, she looks like a freakin' chubby-cheeked chibi!

[​IMG]

18. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

19. D'Snowth

Never heard of them, but then I read in the article that they were only founded in 2017.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  20. Blue Frackle

Blue Frackle Well-Known Member

The ads on that page are overstimulating me.