The Writer's Strike

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Supporting replacement shows (or other programming tricks) that the studios use is essentially turning our backs on the writers who are out there striking.
That's very true, espeically since writers are historically overlooked by the business in the first place.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Greg, thanks for the link in your signature which explains the strike very well. I had been most confused up till then...I do hope that work on the new Muppet Project can recommence when the strike is over.

Bea:zany:{In the meantime, I can try not to giggle at the seriousness of 24 halting production at midday...}regard

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
See here is what i wonder if people like oh Alan Alda who when doing M.A.S.H helped write produce and direct the show. Is he part of the writers guild? can someone who acts also be in the writers guild?
Yes, Alan Alda is a member of the Writers Guild. You can be a member of many unions at the same time. I am in four different unions.

:stick_out_tongue:

David French

Reaction score
Even though I'm in New Zealand, I hope the strike gets resolved very quickly. Hopefully this won't drag on like the ITV blackout of 1979.

MGov

Reaction score
It would probably be easier to settle with the writers than negotiate music and all the rights to run "The Muppet Show" during network prime time.

The only show I can think of with worse music rights problems is "WKRP in Cincinnati".

"Hold my order, terrible dresser."?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just hope it comes out good for the writers; they are notoriously treated badly in entertainment. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often! lol

Until then, yeah I guess I don't want the Muppest to be used as scabs, lol.

David French

Reaction score
It would probably be easier to settle with the writers than negotiate music and all the rights to run "The Muppet Show" during network prime time.

The only show I can think of with worse music rights problems is "WKRP in Cincinnati".

"Hold my order, terrible dresser."?
Can I just point out that there is no need for new negotiations to take place with music rights on "The Muppet Show", let anyone *any* TV show. Music rights for broadcast will have been negotiated back when the programme was made, and don't need to be renegotiated. It's only for commercial release that you (may) have to renegotiate music rights.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If the writers strike is still in effect when the third season of The Muppet Show comes out, I wonder if this would effect the chances of the main menus having new Muppet content. Of course, I could care less about whether these sets have new video footage of the Mupepts on the menus, and I don't really know if they are scripted or improvised.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder how writers who are also actors, directors, producers, and/ or so on feel about this strike. I've read that actors get more residuals, so actors who write their own material might not really care.

I would like to become a writer some day, as well as an actor and a director (and maybe also a producer and designer). I am more concerned about fame than fortune, so I wouldn't want to participate in such a strike.

RKUNKLER

Reaction score
There is also a stagehand strike for Broadway. i wonder how beau the stagehand will take it and how it affects Avenue Q.