The "You know what?" thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
We had one winter like 3 years ago where it was mild and it barely snowed. And we've paid for it that next 3. Then again, that year, it snowed record breaking in October. OCTOBER! So we weren't even that well off that year. And I want to say there was a major storm in December as well... just not January through March.

This year is exactly like 2 years ago. Not horrible December, January was quite cold, but it didn't snow more than a coating. Then February came and all of the sudden we went from record low snowfall to record high. Nothing but storm after storm after storm because of a freaking high pressure block North East, that kept the jetstream in such a specific pattern that every single system of moisture, be it warm rain from the south or clipper system snow from the north would take the same exact track, turning to snow if it wasn't already, and often merging with multiple storms at once. EXACTLY the story for the last 2 storms. And without much of a warmup between so it doesn't melt. So there's no where to put any of it. And we're getting another Thursday and all weekend.

Suffice to say, I'm not happy at all. I don't think even the most die hard winter enthusiast would like this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the last few weeks, I've heard about it snowing really badly throughout the United States, yet there hasn't been much snow or cold weather where I live. And people kept saying they expected such bad weather.

I've been jokingly saying that it's been snowing everywhere but here (and Florida and California, states where it never snows).

At one point, Bill Watterson created a new character for Calvin and Hobbes, Uncle Max, and he ended up regretting it. And yet the character was one who lived out of town, which would have made his appearances occasional. I wonder if, when coming up with the character (and in the 10th anniversary book he said that he preferred not to prepare for stories too far in advance, which had sometimes provided challenges in ending certain stories). It seems like that's sort of lucky for him (though even if Uncle Max did live nearby, he could have still been dropped without explanation). And he said that he thought a new character could open up story possibilities, with his examples being "he can visit them, and they can visit him"....

And it was said in that book that Uncle Max didn't bring out anything new in Calvin. But I read somewhere (probably Wikipedia or a Calvin and Hobbes Wiki) that his introduction storyline ended with Calvin not wanting him to go. And it seems like he was a little similar to Calvin.... Like a grown-up Calvin.... Might have been nice to have an adult character who Calvin could get along with.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

mr3urious

Reaction score

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Can't remember if I've pointed it out here before (I recently did on Facebook), but Saturday Night Live has had three seasons (6, 11, and 20) that were so bad that the show was almost canceled. That includes the first season without Lorne Michaels and the first season after he came back.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Just recently, I was watching the original Cat in the Hat animated special, and there's one joke that I misunderstood for years. Near the beginning, while the kids are looking out the window bored because it's raining and they can't go outside to have fun, there's a song playing about there being nothing to do, while the fish looks around and we see that the kids have plenty of toys and games in their room. All this time, I thought that was to indicate that they had a messy room to clean up, but I guess it's supposed to show the irony of them supposedly having nothing to do when they have plenty to do.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So TV Guide Network has finally been shut down and replaced with another channel entirely called Pop.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken them this long to finally ax it; there hasn't been an actual TV Guide on TV Guide Network for a couple of years now.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So after all these barely three years, Carly Rae Jepsen has finally released a new song, and unlike "Call Me Maybe", it's actually not annoying. Its refrain is very repetitive and redundant, but as for the song as a whole, I can actually tolerate listening to it as opposed to "Call Me Maybe".

Drtooth

Reaction score
So TV Guide Network has finally been shut down and replaced with another channel entirely called Pop.

Honestly, I'm surprised it's taken them this long to finally ax it; there hasn't been an actual TV Guide on TV Guide Network for a couple of years now.
There hasn't been an actual TV Guide in TV Guide either.

Well, technically there is, but it's... yeah.

Most cable boxes (not mine, of course) have instant menus, so that channel become painfully obsolete.