The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In Muppet Treasure Island, when Gonzo's arms and legs get stretched out, he likes it, saying that he might even have a future with the NBA.

But in the next scene, Bunsen cures Gonzo of his longer limbs.

I guess Gonzo decided he didn't want longer arms and legs after all.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One of the things HOME ALONE is famous for is its wonderful, charming, and heartful music score composed by the great John Williams, but he wasn't the original choice: the job was intended for Bruce Broughton, though he ended up scoring THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER instead (both released in 1990, and both including John Candy in a role).

I've observed that more often than not, Bruce Broughton's scoring style has a rather distinct sound to it: a lot of French horns, and other really brassy instruments (THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER and HOMEWARD BOUND are a couple of examples), and I can't imagine such a score really befitting HOME ALONE . . . however, Bruce also scored HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID, and when I listen to that score, I can actually imagine a score like that working well enough for HOME ALONE had fate worked out differently.

Still, John Williams ended up being the perfect choice, even if they thought he wouldn't be able to pull off a score for a family comedy.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've observed that more often than not, Bruce Broughton's scoring style has a rather distinct sound to it: a lot of French horns, and other really brassy instruments (THE RESCUERS DOWN UNDER and HOMEWARD BOUND are a couple of examples), and I can't imagine such a score really befitting HOME ALONE . . . however, Bruce also scored HONEY, I BLEW UP THE KID, and when I listen to that score, I can actually imagine a score like that working well enough for HOME ALONE had fate worked out differently.
Broughton also composed the theme song to Dinosaurs, as well as some of the incidental pieces.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Looking at David Gallo's original maquette model of his intended changes to the SS set for Season 46 makes me glad that some of these changes actually never happened. . . .

I'm not saying this would have been ATC all over again, but I feel like some of these changes would have been a bit too much . . . like what appears to be a theater of some kind in the alley next to 123.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Looking at David Gallo's original maquette model of his intended changes to the SS set for Season 46 makes me glad that some of these changes actually never happened. . . .

I'm not saying this would have been ATC all over again, but I feel like some of these changes would have been a bit too much . . . like what appears to be a theater of some kind in the alley next to 123.
That does look impressive. I've always loved miniatures like this. No matter how small the scale, the attention to detail is phenomenal.

I remember back in the 70's-80's when a lot of action happened on the 123 rooftop. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, Luis and Maria's wedding, even getting James Taylor up there.

I still miss the days, before 1992, when the show was shot at the Reeves Teletape/Second Stage studios.

The building is still there, on the corner of Broadway and 81st Street. It's a Starbucks now, and you'd never know once upon a time there were studios inside.
I was there a few years back, and just thinking, "If these walls could talk...".
23 years of Sesame, the Electric Company, history was made here. And no plaque or marker to remember what went on here. But I remember.

One of the advantages of having a few years (or more than a few) under your belt.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
The building is still there, on the corner of Broadway and 81st Street. It's a Starbucks now, and you'd never know once upon a time there were studios inside.
I was there a few years back, and just thinking, "If these walls could talk...".
23 years of Sesame, the Electric Company, history was made here. And no plaque or marker to remember what went on here. But I remember.

One of the advantages of having a few years (or more than a few) under your belt.
We should petition them to add some kind of acknowledgement! If you ask me, that place should be a national monument. Not to mention, it would be great for their business.

Speaking of which, since the Street Gang documentary crew is building a replica of the original set, i'd love to see that put into a museum for the world to see. Imagine if they had a whole museum dedicated to iconic sound stages. I can think of a lot of shows that have pretty iconic sets like All in the Family, Cheers, The Cosby Show, Roseanne, just to name a few. Although, I imagine the costs of getting clearance from production companies, and then actually building the sets would be astronomical.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think there actually was a partial replication of the SS set in a museum at some point in years past - most notably the stoop and doors of 123.

And I think a few years ago for the 25th anniversary, the SEINFELD apartment set was restored and you could actually walk through it, but that was only brief event.

I know a couple of the sets of M*A*S*H were donated to the Smithsonian after the show ended, but I'm not even sure if they're still there or not.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
So, I heard Bruce Horsnby actually performed "Heartbreak Town" from Twice Upon a Time at one of his shows.... I'm guessing it must have been roughly when the movie first came out.

Would have loved to see this performance.