1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

The "You know what?" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Misskermie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

When first moving to NH in the summer of 2000, it was at first a Blockbuster.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I've often said that January is one of my favorite months (or, more accurately, an upper-tier month), simply because it's in the middle of my favorite season, and therefore, that automatically makes it a month I enjoy.

But, I've really been thinking about it, and to be honest, I really don't think I'm as fond of January as I think I am . . . come to think of it, in a sense, I can actually sort of understand why it's a lot of people's least favorite month - because when you really think about it, it really is a long, dull, and uneventful month . . . especially just coming off the blitzkrieg of the holiday season of the previous months, that's very condusive to the post-holiday blues, which really hit me hard last year, for some reason (though, thankfully, that doesn't seem to be the case this year).

I think I now have a new ranking for each month of the year now, from most to least favorite:

1. September
    2. December
    3. February
    4. November
    5. October
    6. March (Depending)
    7. January
    8. April (Depending)
    9. May
    10. August
    11. July
    12. June

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

You know what’s a term I really hate hearing from people? And not something that makes me angry hearing it?

“It’s fine, I’m used to it anyway.”

Like, that’s honestly one of the most depressing things you can ever hear, especially when you know the person saying it feels hurt deep down. Really makes you feel for them, you know?

4. D'Snowth

It's the world we live in, man.

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  5. LittleJerry92

Yup. Sad truth. :smirk:

6. D'Snowth

My dad has officially reached the 3/4 of a century mark today.

7. D'Snowth

They're apparently getting ready to come out with a BEWITCHED line of Funko Pops.

I really wish they'd put them out as a line of Vinyl Idolz instead.

8. D'Snowth

You know Climate Change is an actual thing when you're seeing bugs flying around outside (including bees and mosquitoes) in the dead of winter, during a prolonged cold snap.

Froggy Fool and Pig's Laundry like this.
  9. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

*sigh* true. I dread to find out what sort of temperatures we'll be having this spring and summer, and what sorts of creatures will start showing up out of season. Are we going to be overrun by geckos and camels?!

That's an exaggeration, obviously, but still. :sympathy:

10. Misskermie

Misskermie Well-Known Member

I just realized shoes are just socks for your socks lol

11. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Whoa.

12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

On a similar note, New Years is among my least favorite holidays, I think that has a little to do with it.

As a kid, as soon as New Years has passed, we're closer to school starting again. Thinking about it, we are out of school for Christmas during a time when school is already closed for a few weeks, but it's more of a halfway point, and we do get presents for Christmas while for New Years we don't really get anything. As an adult who no longer goes to school, I see New Years as the end of the magic of the holiday season. Also, it's bothersome that so many people celebrate on New Years Eve but don't make the actual day special. I generally dislike when people refer to holidays as "just another day", and when New Years Day usually feels more like "just another day" than a holiday, then that's a real problem (and I am aware that there's some other holidays that barely feel like holidays, but they don't seem so major).

Not to mention I don't really remember knowing about New Years until the fourth grade (I had heard the phrase mentioned in a few Christmas songs but didn't think much about it, and barely knew the concept of a year), after I'd really known about all the other big holidays, and in fact I first remember knowing about the holiday when seeing Sesame Street Stays Up Late* - a few nights later, I was doing something for New Years Eve, and decided to act like Telly in that special (even though I was aware that it wasn't scary like he wrongfully thought). And this is one big holiday where, unlike the other major holidays, there's never really been a consistent tradition, doing different things on New Years eve over the years.

*Actually, a year earlier, I saw the special New Years Pete, and in art class we did something regarding New Years resolutions, but I still didn't really grasp New Years from those. It's probably the only holiday I learned about thanks to Sesame Street.

13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

In the years between Donkey Kong and Super Mario Bros., Mario often made random appearances in Nintendo games, such as appearing somewhere in various generic sports games or starring in the mini game (and cover) for Pinball or being the referee in Punch Out (which I can't remember off-hand if it was before or after SMB).

While Donkey Kong was a hit, it was the success of Super Mario Bros. that really made Mario Nintendo's mascot... and yet he was kinda being treated like a mascot before his big hit. Pauline made a few random appearances in games as well, though usually with Mario and significantly less than Mario. Were any other characters from Nintendo's games used as randomly (well, the dog from Duck Hunt did appear in another game that used the zapper, and Wart from Super Mario Bros. 2 did appear in a Zelda game)?

Kinda interesting Mario was being used so randomly at first (and some of Mario's appearances in games after Super Mario Bros. could be just as odd/random, like Wrecking Crew and the guy who looks like Mario in Golf). What if Super Mario Bros. wasn't the big hit that it was (was it a hit because the NES was a hit, or was the NES a hit because of the game? Would Nintendo have a way of knowing if consumers disliked the pack-in game and replaced it sooner?)? What if the first Legend to Zelda ended up being the big hit game for Nintendo before they had a really massive Mario hit?

14. ConsummateVs

ConsummateVs Well-Known Member

When I was younger, my favorite Spongebob character was Patrick, but as I've gotten older, Squidward and Plankton are my favorites now.

15. LittleJerry92

On the subject of cross dressing/cosplaying as opposite gender characters, here are some female characters I would totally cosplay as.... at least in private.

Zero suit Samus
    Princess Peach
    Raven
    Classic Harley Quinn (sorry, but I’m not big on modern day harley. Plus, that skin-tight outfit looks so hot!)
    Ember McLain
    Marceline the Vampire Queen
    Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho

To name some.

16. LittleJerry92

Classic series Patrick has always been my favorite. But yeah. As I’ve gotten older myself, Squidward has definitely become relateable.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  17. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I used to like SpongeBob a lot when I was younger, but now not so much anymore.

18. D'Snowth

I just realized something: if AN AMERICAN TAIL took place in the modern era, Fievel would be arrested by ICE and deported back to Russia since he didn't make it into America legally like the rest of his family.

19. D'Snowth

So I finally managed to give those new Most Stuf Oreo's a try, and . . . honestly, the hype is just that: hype. The things really are pretty much the same as Mega Stuf.

20. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

"It seems today that all you see is violence and movies on sex on TV,"
    sings Lois Griffin at the beginning of every Family Guy episode ever released.

It's true that the world has become more tolerant towards certainly formerly controversial issues when it comes to entertainment. Things like swearing, sexual content/innuendos, blood and gore, allusions to drug use, toilet humor, religious satire, etc. are extremely common nowadays and all over the entertainment world.

But the one thing you hardly ever see nowadays is anything demeaning towards certain groups of people. Things like black jokes, gay jokes, sexist jokes about women, etc. are by far the biggest taboos in the world of comedy now and often make national news whenever comedians cross those certain lines.

People like James Gunn and Kevin Hart got into some hot water for making such jokes an entire decade ago. But today while doing searches for some of my favorite SNL skits on YouTube, I came across this classic Jimmy Kimmell sketch that shocked me:

Jimmy Fallon also did a similar skit that I remember seeing as clear as day on SNL when I was little. Right now, we live in a world where James Gunn gets totally fired for child rape jokes he made over 10 years ago, Apu gets yanked off The Simpsons after one comedian disapproves of him, "Baby It's Cold Outside" gets pulled from the radio due to subtle rape references, and the Smash Bros. Ultimate crew was forced to edit Mr. Game and Watch's Indian head dress after a few people found it offensive.

So why does Kimmell still have a show in this uber politically incorrect world where jokes you made in the freaking '90s can come back to haunt you and get you fired? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Jimmy Kimmell and would be devastated if he ever got cancelled over something he said years ago. But at the same time, I'm very shocked that he did such an outrageous thing and the extremely PC years of 2017-early 2019 haven't had any effect on his status as a comedian whatsoever.

It seems like only non-famous people who make more cult classic-type independent works online and aren't fullblown celebrities (Filthy Frank and SuperMarioLogan which has more racist puppets than I can count are two examples) can get away with that stuff in the 2010s.