The "You know what?" thread

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's often said that The Muppet Movie was a huge risk because there hadn't been a movie like that before. I assume they meant there hadn't been a puppet movie like that before (I know there was an H.R. Puffenstuff movie, but is that counted more as a puppet show or a walk-around costumes show?). But even after The Muppet Movie was a hit, there haven't really been a lot of Muppet-style puppet movies, unless they were made from The Jim Henson Company. The Kroft's didn't try to cash in on the success of the Muppet movies (again, is their work considered more "puppets" or "costumes"?). The only non-Muppet/non-Henson puppet movie I know of that exists is Meet the Feebles, and that was a Muppet parody.

But the majority of movies featuring puppets are the kind of movies that the Creature Shop would do (or did), stuff with more realistic-looking puppets and costumes. I wonder if Chucky would count more as a "Muppet-style puppet" or a "Creature Shop-style puppet" (it's a toy that's alive, but the toy kinda does look a little realistic).

It would have been cool if Greg the Bunny had become popular enough to warrant a Greg the Bunny movie, or if Fred Rogers made a "Land of Make-Believe" movie. Of if there'd been more movies made with puppets as main characters (whether they be Muppet style, or traditional puppets, or a completely original style, or anything but Creature Shop-level realistic), co-existing with humans.

mr3urious

Reaction score
It's often said that The Muppet Movie was a huge risk because there hadn't been a movie like that before. I assume they meant there hadn't been a puppet movie like that before (I know there was an H.R. Puffenstuff movie, but is that counted more as a puppet show or a walk-around costumes show?). But even after The Muppet Movie was a hit, there haven't really been a lot of Muppet-style puppet movies, unless they were made from The Jim Henson Company. The Kroft's didn't try to cash in on the success of the Muppet movies (again, is their work considered more "puppets" or "costumes"?). The only non-Muppet/non-Henson puppet movie I know of that exists is Meet the Feebles, and that was a Muppet parody.
I guess it's because they're hasn't been a puppet movie on that sort of scale before, with them traveling around in the real world and all.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So in the Peanuts shorts, Snoopy is the leader of the Beagle Scouts, and yet he's the only beagle in the beagle scouts. Everyone else is a bird.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Snow White is officially a Disney Princess, presumably because she marries the prince at the end. However, we never actually see them get married. He wakes her up, everyone is happy, and they leave, but technically we don't see a wedding.

Yuna Leonhart

Reaction score
She was also a princess by birth; her stepmother is the queen, so we can assume her father was also the king - I can't see the Evil Queen marrying anyone of a lower class - and this would make Snow White a princess. The narration in the storybook only mentions that the queen forces her to wear rags to hide her beauty. Also, when Snow White introduces herself to the dwarfs, they ask "The princess?", to which she says yes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Snow White is officially a Disney Princess, presumably because she marries the prince at the end. However, we never actually see them get married. He wakes her up, everyone is happy, and they leave, but technically we don't see a wedding.
Other than the fact that one was explained, I absolutely hate the process of picking which characters are princesses to fill their girls brand. And frankly, I do not like their Princess brand... almost as much as their "Boys like talking vehicles voiced by terrible comedians" line. Mulan is NOT a princess. She's there to stand in for Asian culture. Then there's the oft reposted "Watermelon" flavored candy dust with The Princess and the Frog princess on it... and my personal favorite, Brave's Mereda being shoved into the "Let's all have tea-parties" merchandise which is exactly against the point of the darn movie. Then of course the royal snubbing of the princess from The Black Caldron since Disney HATES that movie ("The Black Caldron knows what it did!") and Mira Nova from Buzz Lightyear because movie is always more important than TV series, no matter how high rated and successful the TV show is.

I give them props for Doc McStuffins. A little girl who wants to be a doctor? That's a better character for them than stripping the personalities of the Princesses and turning them into Stepford Wives.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
There's an old prank where somebody'll say "loser say what" a few times fast, so that the other person will say "what?" and then the one saying "loser say what" will shout "LOOSER!" But then the one saying "loser say what" is technically already saying what in order to trick the other into saying "what" and being a loser. So the one who says "loser say what" is the loser.

I hope I'm not suddenly a loser by typing this.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Been thinking about the Sam Sheepdog and Ralph Wolf shorts, and while they have a lot of great physical humor, it seems like the funniest parts come when the two are not on the clock. Just how they greet each other and act civil towards each other when not working, when Sam tells Ralph in "Steal Wool" that he's been working too hard and suggests he take the next day off, when Ralph clocks in for Sam in "Woolen Under Where", when Sam stops Ralph from getting blown up at the end of "A Sheep in the Deep" because the closing whistle blew, the lunch break from that same short... It's all very simple, yet very funny.

And at the beginning of A Sheep in the Deep, Ralph seems to have a lot of gadgets in his house that get him ready to start the day, the kind that I would expect Wile E. Coyote to have (though they'd probably backfire on him, even if he's not using them to catch prey). Though Ralph seems to be a lot more humble and low-key than Wile E.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Plastic Man is the only super hero to have authentic action figures.

(I'll let that one sink in)