They've only Got One Another: A Muppet Christmas Story

Beauregard

Reaction score
...the group Miss Piggy had called into her dressing room for a conference let their problems out....
YES! But if Kermit knew they were keeping their problems from him, he'd be mortified (which is exactly why they are doing so!) Poor Kermit and the awesome burden of command!

last night the chief nearly destroyed his cooking set trying to fix real food. It's trashed.”
SUCH an interesting concept that makes me question whether it is only part of the Chef's act is that he doesn't cook real food anyway...

Kermit's flippersteps.
Flippersteps! *stab* Blame Lisa for that one. If you don't know what that stab was all about...FIND OUT. The word "Clumps" brings about similar pains.

We've tried that before.” Noted Gonzo
My thoughts too, Gonzo. Could it work this time?

“Work? During Christmas?”
Well, Fozzie...If *I* had to work right up till Christmas Eve eve and then sleep for a few hours before driving south all day to get home for Christmas, it won't kill you to wait a few tables or sit at a checkout for a while...

GULP! Oh! IT'S KERMIT!

He handed Piggy and Scooter their T-shirts. “Just remember, the customer is always right!"
Moi has been a customer enough times to know that.” Laughed Miss Piggy as she walked away.
Scooter and Piggy in a shoe shop. I may die right now and be happy.

“Look Camilla, it's nice silk fabric and genuine feather pillows....” His eyes widened. “F-F-feathers?!”
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!!!!!

"You know, the last customer I got said called me over and asked what a cockroach was doing in his soup. So I said 'it looks like the backstroke!' Ahh, Wocka wocka!!”
The young couple he was serving looked thoroughly disgusted.
...There was a cockroach in his soup?”
That's really horrifying.”
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"It's what I do for a living, I'm no Heifetz, but I get by.”
Note. I've always wondered what he said there. Note. I've not idea what or whom a Heifetz is or was.

"I will have vous know that Moi is a lady, and furthermore, I'm gonna rip your extensions out if you ever call me that again!!
How much I'd love to tell that to my own customers at Christmas parties at the hotel I work at (and live in!)

....more or less empty handed. But Henry was holding Alice's hand.
LIKE!!! Love the move from empty-handed to holding her hand!

Until Clifford came running up. “We are
really in trouble now.” He announced as he slid by them.
I'm sorry THIS is what you are going to leave us with on Christmas Eve!!!

Well, I'll let you off as it IS Christmas after all. I love this story, and I love the fact that I've found my way back into reading Muppet fanfiction thanks to YOU Wiggoo prompting Lisa to start which prompted me to read which prompted me to have a look at yours and Figgie's too, and then Prawnie to get involved...Oh, how much better and happier and more exciting you all have made my Christmas! LOVE.

Bea:zany:{Just one hour till Santa arrives over here in the UK! I should get myself tucked up in bed quick!}regard (NOTE: No idea what's happened to the typeface here!????)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Prods fic with ? nagging stick.
Mmm... Update? Post the last chapter or you will be visited by three spirits, no, not those spirits, the spirits of naggers here and soon and now. :crazy:

We Got Us

Reaction score
*Prods fic with ? nagging stick.
Mmm... Update? Post the last chapter or you will be visited by three spirits, no, not those spirits, the spirits of naggers here and soon and now. :crazy:
Ooch! That thing hurts! I swear I'm working on it right now....OK, so I was working and someone started chatting me on FB...and then I started reading that article someone posted about music...and then I started listening to the music they were talking about, and oh yeah! I have to call that person! :big_grin: Is coming soon, I promise!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I was about to come here and nag, but then I saw that nagging has already been done. So I will just stand here and look at WGU with big puppy eyes and say that I really do like this story and would really appreciate having more of it to read. And I may or may not conveniently mention that if you need some inspiration, since I seem to be good at that, there is a relatively new chapter of A Cup of Kindness you could look at.

But mostly, I'll just stick with the puppy eyes.

We Got Us

Reaction score
I was about to come here and nag, but then I saw that nagging has already been done. So I will just stand here and look at WGU with big puppy eyes and say that I really do like this story and would really appreciate having more of it to read. And I may or may not conveniently mention that if you need some inspiration, since I seem to be good at that, there is a relatively new chapter of A Cup of Kindness you could look at.

But mostly, I'll just stick with the puppy eyes.
>smiles sadly< Unforeseen circumstances: My Dad has been forced out of town on a business trip, and i'm now at a friend's for a sleepover I didn't see coming. Good news! The last chappie is going to be long.....that's about all I got for now. Sorry :big_grin: The nagging works though! I appreciate it!!

We Got Us

Reaction score
So...to appease the angry mob that has swarmed this thread (:wink:As if I don't love and brag about that continuously) I decided to split up the aforementioned LONG last chapter into two reasonably sized chapters. Thereby breaking a promise, and ruining my seven chapter draft: somehow the idea of seven chapters just seemed right as opposed to eight. Cause' seriously, what story has eight chapters? I guess the count will be the judge of that. Really hoping this doesn't have any obvious plot holes/forgotten paragraphs/horrendous spelling errors, since I honestly don't have time to read it again. :embarrassed:Anywhoo, forgive me dear ones...

CHAPTER SEVEN

Typewriters clicked. “This is a Muppet news flash: the preforming troupe known as the Muppets were shocked when only a few moments ago, a fire broke out on one of the abandoned stages. The apparent cause was an explosion of the boiler that had been keeping the theater relatively warm. No one was injured, but it has left a large...” The newsman trailed off, sniffing as if the smell of cooking food had just hit him. “Hole in the theater wall.” Smoke was pouring out from behind him. “As of this time, there has been no word from boss Kermit the frog as to what the troupe's next move will be.” Flames crept up the back of his coat. “His only comment on the matter was, quote: 'I'm only glad no one was hurt.' In an amendment to this statement, he said 'Your back is on fire.'...” he stopped, looking shocked and somewhat offended, before finally letting out a yell and dropping into the snow.
Meanwhile, Miss Piggy held Robin as she watched the firemen spray water into the smoke. The chief walked up to them.
Are you the owner?”
Rowlf shook his head. “No, but we rent it.”
Well you'd better get him on the phone.”
How bad is it?”
It's not bad, but it'll need repairs before it can be used again.” He walked off to supervise the crew loading up.
Kermit flipped his cell-phone closed. “Robin, that was your father.” He said. “He's on his way up to get you.”
But what about you, uncle Kermit?”
I have to stay here and make sure everyone has a place to go.” He smiled at his nephew. “But I promise we'll be together tomorrow, and on Christmas.” He turned to Fozzie. “Any news from your mother?”
The bear shrugged. “She wants to buy me a ticket to come join her.” He said.
Well?”
I haven't told her anything yet.”
The frog smiled at his friend. “You should take the opportunity, she would probably want you there.”
Sure. But I'd rather stay here.”
Scooter walked up, also holding his cell. “That was my uncle, he um...he wants...”
You'd better go with him then.” Said Kermit. “Guys--” He motioned them all close. “Listen...I've talked a lot in the past few days about working together...and about staying together no matter what...” He paused a little, looking at all of their hopeful faces, waiting on him to say something profound that would make the whole situation better. “But, I guess sometimes it doesn't work out that way.” He swallowed, hard. “In this case...tonight, I mean, this Christmas: it doesn't look like it's gonna turn out that way. I wish I could change it but, that's just the way it goes. So I want each of you to find someone to stay with: family members, friends, whoever. If anyone has no where to go...I'm sure I can call Sesame Street and have them put you up. But they all have their own families over tonight, so ” He paused, worried. “Does everyone have somewhere to go?” Slow, thoughtful nods. Certainly they all had somewhere to be, but the idea of spending Christmas away from the Muppets...

Kermit wandered the snow. He felt very useless, the only feeling to penetrate his numbness. The Muppets had gathered their possessions into any bags they could find, and were now on phones—calling family members, arranging for tickets, wandering the way he was. But they all had somewhere to go. Whatever had made each of them independent in the first place, whatever had made them accept the Muppets as their family, whatever they had been an alternative too—they were forced to go back to it now. Kermit tried to imagine that this was a good thing in it's own right. He thought about how happy his own family would be to have him back for Christmas...he thought about why he hadn't planned on it in the first place. Because the Muppets was his life. Because ever since he had struck out on his own they had accepted that they were there no matter what happened, but his family and place was with the Muppets. He took a deep breathe. But it could be different. They would live. He watched their faces. Disappointed, confused. He wished it could be different. He wished that they could be throwing snowballs of fake snow, baking cookies, spreading good will to other people...
His thoughts were interrupted by Rowlf pressing a wad of bills into his hands. Here Kermit.” He stared at the dog. “What's this for?”
You. My sister's paying my way up to Chicago.”
What about everyone else?”
It's all arranged.”
He shook his head. “Thanks Rowlf, but I guess I'll be going back to the swamp with Robin.”
I have a feeling you won't.” He patted the money into his hand, and walked away with a backpack of belongings.

They were all filtering out. To bus stations, phone booths, anywhere they could meet their families or friends. It was dark, and cold and quiet. Kermit waved goodbye to as many people as he could, making sure they were all on their way somewhere, but his heart wasn't in it. He didn't have words for them, and that hurt.

Alice stood on the sidewalk, watching the Muppet's go their separate ways. She had a nap-sack of clothes, racking her brain to think of which friend she could stay with who lived closest. She asked herself why she was standing there, as if she expected anyone to say goodbye to her. A lot of questions zipped through her mind, like where she was going to stay, who with, and where she was going to look for a job next....
Henry slipped his hand into hers, looking bashfully at his feet. He didn't have to tell her that he was feeling and thinking the same things.
Gonzo shuffled past with Fozzie. "Legal? What a ridiculous question. Who's gonna care?!"
"Gonzo...what about Camilla? Where's she gonna ride?"
"In the baggage container. She's sick, so I guess the top of the plane will be too much wind."
Fozzie turned to Henry and Alice. "What about you two?"
They looked at each other. "Um...what about us?"
"Do you two have some place to stay?"
Alice smiled. "Not quite yet but, I'm sure I'll figure something out."
"Me too." Said Henry.
"Well when you do, let me know where I can find ya, OK?"
"....Why?"
Scooter looked as if the question was a ridiculous one. "Cause' I'll need to get in touch when the show is back on!"
Henry and Alice looked at each other simultaneously. "OK." They said at the same time, grateful.

"I wish there was money for you guys to join me and Ma in Honolulu." Fozzie noted.
"Why do you pretend that you have to pay to fly?! The wings of the plane are NEVER taken!!"
"Gonzo, that's not legal....or safe!"
"You have no imagination!"
Beauregard wandered up to Henry. "Merry Christmas!" He said to them both. "We'll have lots of work to do soon!"
Henry smiled at him as he walked off, before looking into Alice's eyes. "Like I was saying, they're good people."

Finally it seemed like they had left. All of them. Kermit walked back through the old theater, holding Robin who was falling asleep on his shoulder wrapped in a warm blanket. Nothing had been harmed, but smoke was still streaming through from where snow had fallen on the charred wood in the boiler room. A second of a glance backwards and Uncle Deadly was standing in front of him.
Merry Christmas eve.” He said solemnly.
I hadn't realized it had passed twelve.” Said Kermit, making a face.“I suppose your mad about the theater.”
The ghost shrugged. “It's not the first time. I had assumed you would be upset about the boiler.”No hard feelings here.” Said Kermit simply. “Merry Christmas Uncle Deadly.”
The ghost reached for his beady eye as if there was something stinging it. He nodded towards Robin. “Does he need another blanket?”
Kermit smiled. “I think he's fine. Watch the theater while we're gone?”
....Yes.”
Thanks.” He turned to leave, making it through the door before Uncle Deadly's voice reached him.
And Merry Christmas to you too, frog.”

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey... There's no shame in splitting chapters. You may have noticed I did the same with my own MFG, although looking back on it there are a few things I'd like to change/clean up of that fic.

Glad to see :news: in the story.
:hungry:'s cooking blew up the boiler... Again?
Why am I prompted to think of Saying Goodbye during the entire scene of the Muppets striking out back to their individual families?
Oh, so it was :concern: who was the thing William Shatner saw riding out on the plane's wing while :cluck: was nestled in the baggage carrier inside. That makes sense.
Nice reference to the fact :embarrassed: will be flying out to join his Ma in Honolulu.
And then you go and post another scene that makes me :smile: with the frogs and phantom dragon at the end. When :smile: quips he didn't know it had passed 12 already, did you know your chapter was posted at 12:01 AM? Perfect unknowing timing.

Thanks, look forward to what's next.