Things Cookie Monster eats besides Cookies.

ISNorden

Reaction score
More stuff he's eaten:

• The number 17 (in a cartoon about counting to 20)
  • Lettuce leaves (part of Bert's flower costume in a pageant)
  • A locked safe (in two separate sketches; both times he was trying to get at the cookies inside, so that might not count)
  • A whistle (as "dessert" at the end of a nutrition PSA)
  • Kermit (at least, he tried to--near the end of that Episode 1 lecture on W)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Gosh, a better question would be 'What HASN'T he eaten?'

I'll have to check out that Wiki article.

But it does seem like he'll eat anything. I am a bit surprised though that a few times he even tried to devour other characters (ex: Kermit, Guy Smiley.) Most things he eats are inanimate.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Gosh, a better question would be 'What HASN'T he eaten?'

I'll have to check out that Wiki article.

But it does seem like he'll eat anything. I am a bit surprised though that a few times he even tried to devour other characters (ex: Kermit, Guy Smiley.) Most things he eats are inanimate.

LOL...yeah, I have a feeling the sketches with Cookie's attempts to eat other characters were not shown very often, since CTW producers worried that might scare kids too much. (Those are the only two incidents I remember, thankfully; did Cookie ever attack any other characters that way?)

ISNorden

Reaction score
This is the subject of a Wiki article.

I saw that the old "Letter of the Day" sketch (with Cookie Monster locking the A cookie inside the safe) made it onto the list...but I also recall a much earlier lecture about the word "in", in which another character took a bagful of cookies and locked them in a safe. When Cookie Monster couldn't open the safe, he ate it along with the contents. ("Now safe is IN Cookie Monster!") The other character was either Ernie or Kermit, I'm not sure which...does that sketch ring any bells?

Grover

Reaction score
ISNorden, the sketch was with Ernie and it's available on youtube.

Drtooth

Reaction score
LOL...yeah, I have a feeling the sketches with Cookie's attempts to eat other characters were not shown very often, since CTW producers worried that might scare kids too much. (Those are the only two incidents I remember, thankfully; did Cookie ever attack any other characters that way?)
I don't really think it's in his character. He tried to eat Kermit back before the character was established (and if you all recall, that was during the original Muppets timeline, where Jim was obsessed with larger characters eating smaller ones.

And the Guy Smiley thing was clearly a joke, as his name rhymed with Buy.

Those seem to be the only times Cookie has gone after a character, instead of food or an inanimate object. So I don't see it so much as a scaring little kids problem as a problem of it not being in his character.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
You're probably right about that. I'm a bit surprised about the one where he tried to eat Guy Smiley, because I believe that sketch was made long after CM's personality was established. (I'm guessing late 70s.) You can expect him to try to devour another character in a first season episode, but after that seeing him eat someone else was very rare.