This Disney Cheapquel stuff is out of hand!

beaker

Reaction score
Well, in the last year or so we've seen Disney release more cheapquels then we could ever imagine. From the beyond horrible animation of Little Mermaid 2, Tarzan 2, Belle's Xmas, Hunchback 2, and Cinderella 2....to Peter Pan Return to Never Land, Pochahontas 2, 101 Dalmations 2(ok, live action), etc.

Now it's about to get out of hand...Disney cheapquels to films that just came out! On the Lilo and Stitch dvd, there is previews
to Lilo and Stitch 2(Im not kidding!), Atlantis 2...along with The Jungle Book 2(I wonder if that's the same bear from Tailspin)
And I heard Mulan 2 was also coming out. Holy cow!

It used to be Disney put some thought into their cheapquels.
I mean Aladdin and the Prince of Thieves and Lion King 2 show how a cheapquel can be done right. Of course then there's
Aladdin Return of Jafar which was just bad. But now they are coming out at an alarming rate...is Disney really going to squander all their animated hits for cheap no budget cheapquels? Arent parents that gullible to buy these? I know Land Before Time
36: The Secret Cave just came out, but this is ridiculous.

It used to be the bad cheapquels were made by outside companies(ie: Pinnochio 2 and Snow White Happily Ever After)
Now it is the Diz themselves who are pumping em out. Between these, and their other 2002 movie flops what the heck is the mouse thinking?

matleo

Reaction score
Yeah these are really lousy!!!

No, it's not the same Baloo from TailSpin. Sadly, Ed Gilbert pased away a few years ago. this time out it's John Goodman. Usually I like John Goodman. but I think I'll pass on this. Jungle Book is one of my favorite films. I don't need it tarnished thank you.

--Matt

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We have talked about this before, but I can't believe some of the sequels they are doing. "The Jungle Book" has always been my Disney favorite since I was a little boy. What's the storyline of the new movie? The music makes the original in my opinion. Just hate to see them once again doing this to Walt's legacy.

Take us to new places that we have never been, that's wonderful. But do not relive our favorite stops for a fast buck without as much love and care that were put into the originals.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's kinda ironic, though..

I mean, Jungle book was made into to cartoon shows, and a live action movie...

1) Tailspin: A fan favorite. I mean, they took the best characters (Balloo, Louie, and Shere Kanh) and totally changed the pace of the film, and made the bear a piolot in the post war era, they took Louie, and made him a bar keep of his own little pub, and Shere Kahn was crude, shrewed buisness man who kinda gave me the shivers. Add the new characters , Don Karnage, Wildcat, etc. etc, and it was a hit.

2) Jungle Cubs. Not so much.. they followed the steps of Muppet Babies, and made the characters little kiddies.... then gave them female voice actors trying very hard NOT to sound like the characters at hand! Worst of all was Louie, who was terrible in that show... and he's my fave character.

3) Rudyard Kiplings, the Jungle Book./ A live action, truer to the story version, that had all the classic elements of the beloved movie pulled out. No fun musical numbers, no Elephant bragade. no scatting. It was on tv this weekend, and I thought it was horrible. not even John Cleese (who was in the movie) could save it.

Lilo and Stitch was my favorite Dis flick in recent years, along with emperor's new groove. A sequal will ruin it for me. I don't moind the cartoon show (because Weird Al Yankovic is supposed to appear as a guest voice) but really. The fun of the movie was that Stitch was a fugetive. Now he's not. (If you didn't see it yet, a, see it, and b, I don't want to give away the ending, but there is NO room for a sequal).

They were supposed to make an Atlantis cartoon show and sequal, but never did. I'm glad. That would have REALLY ruined it!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth

They were supposed to make an Atlantis cartoon show and sequal, but never did. I'm glad. That would have REALLY ruined it!
Check the Lilo and Stitch dvd previews...next year: Stitch 2, Jungle book 2, Inspector Gadget 2, and yes...Atlantis 2.

Bean Bunnysan

Reaction score
It all goes make to money.........
Problem is with the internet boom people just will buy anything just to buy. Know thats sad! being a out time viewer or trhe muppets, I am sad to see them lowered to the levels of just another pack rat idea of having future collectors items. Ebay has killed off the art of collecting:frown:

Gonzo

Reaction score
I blame parents who are undiscerning enough to buy any cr*p that has the Disney name slapped on it.

It offends me.

And does Disney REALLY need to release five (or more) animated features per year?

Maybe if they'd focus their talent and money on fewer projects, we'd see more quality work.

Then again, maybe their well is dry for a few more years.

I'll stick with Pixar.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
I blame parents who are undiscerning enough to buy any cr*p that has the Disney name slapped on it.

It offends me.

And does Disney REALLY need to release five (or more) animated features per year?

Maybe if they'd focus their talent and money on fewer projects, we'd see more quality work.

Then again, maybe their well is dry for a few more years.

I'll stick with Pixar.
Well, I have heard things are about to get even worse.
Yes folks, the cheapquel machine has just begun to go into full force. I mean its soon just gonna get embarassing.

And I also would like to talk openly and candidly about PIXAR.
Word has it at a recent private rouch cut screening at PIXAR HQ of 'Finding Nemo' the reaction was less than thrilling.
I mean who here is really excited about this? They were doing so good with Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc(Monsters Inc, one of the most astonishing films Disney has ever released)
And you know what the next PIXAR film is as part of their b*ll busting iron clad slave contract to the Diz is? CARS. Yeah, a freaking cgi 80 minute flop about cars. yeeesh.
*raise your hand if ya think they should have just focused on Toy Story 3 for next year and been done with it*

Bean Bunnysan

Reaction score
If they can control themselve then all will be better. But with some of these guys buying to buy show us there are fools born every minute:frown:

Parents only knows smart as they want to be. But greed is another thing:frown:

grail

Reaction score
Cory -

yeah, i heard about the screening. they decided it still needed some work. the thing to be happy about though was the fact that they watched it, decided it wasn't ready, and went back to work...Disney woulda just went with it. besides, even mediocre Pixar is better than some of this new Disney crap.

they're also trying to get their contract with Disney done so they can finally do all their own stuff...the mou$e is already giving them crap about Toy Story 2 "not counting" because it was a sequel...so the way i understand it is that they've decided no more sequels until the contract is done. then they can negotiate things on their own terms. as far as i know, that's the story. the lovely and telented Karen Prell is the only person ever associated with Pixar (that i know of) that posts around here, if she reads this, and knows wether this is true or just some steaming pile that i read off a news site that needs to check it's fact better, i would love to know that i'm giving folks the straight story.

to sum up, Disney is the Henson company with more name recognition. if it weren't for the fact that Disney was as big as it was when the current powers that be took over, they'd be in the exact same place that our beloved Muppets are right now...hanging on for dear life. the real trick is that 15 years from now, you'll still have plenty of folk nostalgic for the Muppets...but Disney's basically beating all the nostalgia out of the kids of today with over-priced, under-written junk that evokes no real emotional attachment or sentimentality save that of Disney for your money.

(heh, btw...for a brief moment, your Land Before Time title threw me. for a split second, the sentence "wow, they're already up to 36?" entered my brain...quickly followed by a Clerks reference, but that's another story.)