This is Kind of Pointless...

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I wish Nick would release their cartoons like this in a better way. I would much rather have seasons sets that are availabe in stores. I know if you buy the first two volumes of "best of" you'll get the whole 1st season of Rocko's Modern life. I just refuse to get these myself.

The only good releases Nick did some justice for was probably Spongebob Squarepants and Invader Zim.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now... these aren't available in stores because... ?
It's essentially a burn on demand set, meaning that they only burn as many copies as they can sell. Unlike store bought DVD's, which are made for a specific quota. In other words, unlike store bought DVD's, burning one set at a time to fill each order means that they won't have thousands of unsold copies preventing them from releasing further volumes/seasons.

I'm on the fence about it, myself. I like buying them at a store and returning them if they don't work, and searching for the best bargain... these have a set, fixed price.

BTW, isn't it fascinating how quickly Nick switched to its new logo for merchandising like this, but it took Cartoon Network nearly two years to change their logo on by products?
Nick has more merchandise per capita than CN ever had. Other than the Powerpuff Girls boom, there has only been occasional happy meals promos, comic books, and small potatoes like that. I had to wait for a cereal promotion to get a Johnny Bravo toy, and I had to buy some terrible Kool-Aid type thing to get a Courage figure that was embedded on a squirt bottle cap. Then there was an impossible to find series of weird toys Mattel had for a while, and a bunch of Codename KND stuff... and now there's only Chowder and Flapjack shirts at Hot Topic. I really want a Chowder... or more specifically a Schnitzel figure.

The only good releases Nick did some justice for was probably Spongebob Squarepants and Invader Zim.
First off, I have to make it clear that Invader Zim WAS sublicensed by a small company... and only because Nick didn't think it was so successful that they would have made huge profits if they released it by themselves. The only Zim that was released solely by Nick was on an obscure Nicktoons Sampler DVD that was a Wal*Mart exclusive.

And here's the problem with sublicensing (Sony pulled the same crap with Ghostbusters until Time Life took over)... If they sublicense something, and it's successful, they have to share the profits, meaning they make less money than if they released it all their own. BUT, if they release it themselves, they run the risk of NOT making a huge profit off of it.... so in other words, companies refuse to go in business to sublicense DVD's for the risk of not making money and they refuse to release them themselves for the risk of not making money. An infuriating paradox... meanwhile blu-ray complete season collections of reality shows from The Food Network, The History Channel, and the Travel Channel. :smirk:

I also want to add, Nick also release Ren and Stimpy completely, but ONLY because they made the deal at the time when they were under the impression that Ren and Stimpy's Adult Cartoon Party and the Spiketoons would be big hits. They weren't. Ren and Stimpy Adult aside, the shows were totally unwatchable. Ren and Stimpy classics were a hit, though.